News   May 08, 2024
 2.6K     3 

Your Political Compass

>Then, you must agree that Truman and Churchill belong
>alongside Hitler, Stalin and Saddam. Between the incendiary
>and atom bomb attacks on Japan and the fire-bombing of
>German cities, we have a million or two civilian victims, not
>counting anything else.

Churchill -- that was a defensive war (a war of necessity) .... just as Stalin's war was defensive (although Stalin committed crimes against humanity -- not connected to that war).

Johnson -- that was getting the US involved in a civil war (it was not their war and they should not have gotten involved) -- it was a war of choice not a war of necessity. The regime he was supporting was corrupt and no better than the regime on the North (no arguement of doing it for the eventual betterment of society -- Vietnam would just have been a puppet regime) -- they should not have been there. The chemical warfare that took place is still causing a very high birth defect rate even today -- and it was a war crime.

>Also, Johnson presided over hundreds of thousands of >Vietnamese killed.

Yes there were. Again the US should not have been in that position -- the side they were supporting were just as bad. There was no "right choice".

BTW, I had a Vietnamese family from the south (refugees) that lived with us (sponsored by my parents) for 18 months while they were getting there feet on the ground.... [without government support]. How many far left people here have done that with there own money, instead of relying on Government all the time?

>How do you justify that?

Who said I did?

The dropping of nuclear bombs on japanese cities (i.e. civilians were not collateral in that case) -- was a war crime.

But when you come down to it -- it is just intent that seperates people. Trueman (although he committed a war crime) was doing it because the US was drawn into the war (a defensive war). Saddam did not give a .... about people dying... it was all about himself.

When I tell people what the Allies did to Dresden, an (nearly) entirely civilian city.

The attack carried out on that city had a simply goal: to exterminate every last civilian in the city, if possible.

"The attack carried out on that city had a simply goal: to exterminate every last civilian in the city, if possible."

The English also flattened Salzburg, another civilian city. To flatten Salzburg? What barbarians.

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67

im surprised i wasnt more of an anarchist. maybe im getting too apathetic to strongly (dis)agree with all of those pet causes

The attack carried out on that city had a simply goal: to exterminate every last civilian in the city, if possible.

It actually had two goals:

i) Destroy the railway yards
ii) Destroy the munitions and poison gas factories.

The USAAF and RAF succeeded in both.

The raid wasn't much worse on civilians than Hamburg or the Berlin raids, and better than some.

Kevin

All this talk about WW2 got me thinking. Would Saddam be like Hitler or Stalin if he had a chance or was strong enough? Somebody said he was just a local warlord while Hitler attempted to exterminate an entire nation. But I think Saddam never got a chance to do something like that (thank god) since his army was about 1000 times weaker than the Wehrmacht in WW2.

Just think about how many lives were lost in overthrowing Hitler? Countless millions. And how many lives were lost overthrowing and CAPTURING Saddam Hussein? A couple hundred coalition soldiers. This just makes me feel grateful that I live in this era.

Kevin,

Why did they strafe stragglers with machine gun fire, then? It was about levelling the city. It's simply disingenuous to say otherwise. They can rationalize after the fact, but the intent was clear.

I never heard of the RAF or USAAF strafing the Dresden survivors with machine-guns. I doubt they even had aircraft capable of doing so.

Kevin

?

They didn't have aircraft equiped with machine guns? That was old technology even in 1939.

The Allies willfully strafing civilians just for the heck of it? It is getting a bit far fetched.

As much as one would say that the history is written by the victors, I cannot concieve the Allies systematically plan for the extermination of a population.

GB

www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/61/001.html

During three waves of attacks, over 1,300 British and U.S. bombers dropped more than 3,300 tons of bombs on Dresden. Many of the bombs were incendiaries.

The incendiaries dropped on the old city center started a firestorm--a huge blaze that sucked the oxygen from the air. Temperatures soared as high as 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit. This had not been seen before in Europe, although U.S. bombing started a firestorm in Tokyo and the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki also set off firestorms.

Low-flying planes machine-gunned the fleeing population along the banks of the Elbe river. A fourth attack on Dresden concentrated its bomb load on the roads used by the fleeing population.

The cultural center of the city was totally destroyed. Meanwhile, the only possible military or economic targets--the barracks in the city's north and the train station where trains carrying reserves for the Eastern Front might depart--were left untouched.

A look at aerial maps of the city before and after the terror attacks clearly shows the large white oil tanks owned by British-controlled Shell Oil. These tanks remained entirely untouched by the bombardment.

Official figures issued by the new city government of Dresden, set up in the wake of the city's surrender to the Red Army, indicate that 35,000 people--mostly women, children and older people--suffocated in the firestorm or burned to death. Other studies give a much higher casualty figure for the attack. The presence of so many refugees made accurate counts difficult.

Apologists for the bombing point to Nazi Germany's own crimes. Following the war's end, however, the U.S. and Britain occupiers were quick to allow all but the top Nazi leaders to play a role in western Germany--to gain these criminals as allies against the USSR. To reach the same political goal, the U.S. and British rulers could easily sacrifice more than 35,000 non-combatants with the bombing of Dresden.

Political Compass

www.politicalcompass.org/

This is a fun time killer that will test you on your political, social, and economic beliefs and see where you rank within the compass. Ive included a chart of how some world figures rank. Its not entirely accurate obviously since it ranks me being far more libertarian than I am but still kind of interesting.

internationalchart.gif

Economic Left/Right: -5.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Though I am probably slightly less libertarian than the poll shows.

Back