News   Mar 28, 2024
 350     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 363     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 711     0 

York

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-road-academy-closing-after-nine-decades.html

Community commemorates Vaughan Road Academy, closing after nine decades

Hundreds of current and former high schoolers wandered the halls of Vaughan Road Academy on Saturday to say goodbye to the institution that will be closing next month after nine decades.

Some talked about meeting the loves of their lives in those halls. Others shrieked in excitement, as they recognized their former classmates. One former student remembered the horrid blue rompers she had to wear during gym class. Another felt anxious as she recalled how divided between programs the place seemed to her when she was there.

Last December, Toronto District School Board trustees voted to close the school at 529 Vaughan Rd. (that was previously known as Vaughan Road Collegiate Institute) — perhaps best known as the school Drake once went to — citing decades of dropping enrolment. At the time that decision was made, the high school was at 20 per cent of its capacity with just over 200 students.

'Things are happening': New BIA approved for Rogers Road area

Process took several years, and some merchants are still not convinced
News Dec 04, 2019 by Megan DeLaire

Rogers Road's first business improvement area (BIA) has received the green light and will see the members of its board approved by the city's economic and community development committee on Dec. 4.

I biked through the north end of Earlscourt and the Silverthorne neighbourhood last month, bordered roughly between Caledonia and the rail tracks, St. Clair and Eglinton, and definitely see some signs of first wave gentrification. A lot of young families and recent renos, particularly south of Rogers Road.

Last edited:
Several properties at the SW corner of Eglinton W & Northcliffe are being listed for sale. Although, it looks like one property (1751 Eglinton W) is not included at this time.

egwes.jpg

An upcoming development is being planned by Lindvest for the Dufferin & Eglinton area. It's being described as a high/mid-rise condo with townhouses.

The small map overview appears to show the block along the west side of Dufferin, just north of the Shoppers and Dollarama. Although, it's unconfirmed if that is official or just an arbitrary location marker for the area.

lind.JPG

Here's a streetview of that block if that was the location:

lind2.JPG

Took a walk along Marlee from Glencairn south to Eglinton and then west to Keele. Lots of change! Some random pics that don’t warrant a thread.

This is at 1984 Eglinton West.

12A9A773-3797-412D-8A5F-703720C2CAEB.jpeg

This is a bit of new retail popping up at Ramsden and
Dufferin, one block north of Eglinton. There is a great Brazilian cafe and coffeehouse on the south side called Girl From Ipenena. Maybe the start of a cool retail strip!
4A6E74B0-2A71-4DD6-9385-635DDC5826EA.jpeg

This condo at 1603 Eglinton West still has no retail after being open for 2 years. Hopefully opening of lrt changes that.
69E65CA7-1293-4D48-89A3-FA9570D95DC6.jpeg

These newly built townhomes are all over the side streets in the area. Some seem to be triplexes.
B4B44BE8-A3D6-4CDE-A366-2312E9F29F80.jpeg
86EC8AD2-6597-4354-A0D0-4F054955D5DD.jpeg

Don’t know anything about this on the east side of Marlee but should be a nice amenity.
447B8FCB-3FF6-4574-8D7B-8BC245D899FD.jpeg
414D7328-E52E-4A8E-A547-B621544640C1.jpeg

A great example of high rise renovation to create retail along the street.
11D62645-BB4E-4C55-80BE-70F25506E19A.jpeg
AAC4FCFF-D9D6-458B-967C-32F5328CDDEA.jpeg

The south east corner of Glencairn and Marlee were a highrise is planned.
E277BD84-2138-45BF-8CF0-3C9DE53E65AE.jpeg

Finally, they are renovating Glencairn station and adding a bit of colour. Nice to see and brightens up the area.
67DCFE7C-C9B3-4BBD-9DF8-CFB1E71F6156.jpeg

Attachments

• DD0F4F0B-C7AA-4B63-A31E-B38E08DDD14B.jpeg
    DD0F4F0B-C7AA-4B63-A31E-B38E08DDD14B.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 767151C4-1B14-4FE7-8B3C-94A073E98925.jpeg
    767151C4-1B14-4FE7-8B3C-94A073E98925.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Took a walk along Marlee from Glencairn south to Eglinton and then west to Keele. Lots of change! Some random pics that don’t warrant a thread.

This is at 1984 Eglinton West.

This is a bit of new retail popping up at Ramsden and
Dufferin, one block north of Eglinton. There is a great Brazilian cafe and coffeehouse on the south side called Girl From Ipenena. Maybe the start of a cool retail strip!

This condo at 1603 Eglinton West still has no retail after being open for 2 years. Hopefully opening of lrt changes that.

These newly built townhomes are all over the side streets in the area. Some seem to be triplexes.
View attachment 462205

The garage front and centre and the mostly paved over front yard kill it for me; otherwise fine. But that not only makes it less attractive, but actually bad for the environment. Sigh.

Don’t know anything about this on the east side of Marlee but should be a nice amenity.
View attachment 462208View attachment 462209

And yes, I do know something about this........

Construction coming Fall '23:

Project page here: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...-redevelopment/york-beltline-trail-extension/

Something that I found interesting on the CofA website this morning (yes I get up super early!) A fourplex with laneway suite north of St. Clair West around Runnymede. I would be interested to know the number of these being proposed.
1FE4A600-2C12-4420-8239-0A423251E5A7.png
29F7646A-86A3-4FCA-9741-F813B1CAA3A1.png
4D66A781-E752-4900-92D2-917CD75C519C.png
F63705E6-2362-49BD-BF47-4A737E7777C7.png
166AA021-60A3-4299-8C8B-41EBA31D1CDD.png
C5CACD59-78F1-4D6C-95DD-FF89329473EB.png
2B952D02-A4B1-4155-85A3-ED86DC9D1C70.png

I hardly ever visit York, but today, I decided to explore it via TTC and walking. Although, I mostly just walked around the neighbourhood southwest of Keele & Eglinton, north of Rogers. Living in East York, it’s kind of cool to see our west end equivalent. Also, on this forum, York is said to be the “forgotten borough”. I definitely notice no one ever says “York”, and rather just say the intersection or neighbourhoods. Lately, I’ve been very fascinated by this.

It’s a very interesting part of the city. The hills in the Keelesdale-Eglinton West neighbourhood are very steep by Toronto standards! We have valleys and hilly neighbourhoods across the city, but this is the only neighbourhood in the city I can think of that is heavily developed with high-sloped streets (I find in The Beaches for instance, the hills, while quite significant, are gradual in comparison). Also, I brought this up in another thread, but one of things that’s so noticeable in much of York is the amount of multi-plexes within it. Looking at this link right here about Toronto’s “Yellow-Belt” (http://www.mapto.ca/maps/2017/3/4/the-yellow-belt), you can see the areas of York that are zoned only for single-detached housing are few and far in between. On the other thread where I mentioned this, the user @adma pointed out how after WWII, York was a big destination for newcomers, hence, the need for more housing options. The Toronto Special tri-plexes are VERY common here, but so are semi-detached homes, and just small 60s/70s(?) era general multi-plexes.

Here are some pics I took today:

IMG_3024.jpeg

IMG_3025.jpeg

IMG_3029.jpeg

Rogers west of Old Weston

IMG_3030.jpeg

Off Rogers east of Old Weston, looking south.

Rest of these are in the Keelesdale-Eglinton West neighbourhood:

IMG_3031.jpeg
IMG_3033.jpeg
IMG_3034.jpeg

Also really notice the public staircases. I know the user @junctionist mentioned this on another thread.

IMG_3036.jpeg

Not sure if that pedestrian walkway that goes up that hill is public or private (this is at the intersection of Donald/Silverthorn).

IMG_3037.jpeg

Another example of how hilly this area is.

IMG_3039.jpeg

Nice little convenience store in the neighbourhood.

IMG_3042.jpeg

Lacey Avenue here has got to be one of the sloppiest streets in Toronto lol. Its northern end where it ends at Cameron Avenue is literally on a hill. This street also seems to represent York well. Hilly, mostly detached homes, but quite a few multi-plexes. To me, this is what a good suburb looks like!

IMG_3049.jpeg

Underrated viewpoint of Downtown.

IMG_3052.jpeg

Overall, seems like a really nice part of the city. Very underrated. Like East York, an urban/suburban hybrid overall.

Last edited:
Additional photos I took today along the Eglinton Hill BIA, the northern end of the neighbourhood I took photos of in the post above. Definitely could use some work but seems to be improving based on what I saw today and previous posts on this thread. View attachment 530490View attachment 530491
So glad i'm not the only one that notices and lovess York for these reasons! Imo it still feels very working-class and gritty. I love the different communities. It's very quiet and 'homey' and I do love the little shops and abandoned corner stores that I love seeing littered all over. I predict in 20-30 years York will become the new cool and artistic part of Toronto once the gentrification heads up from bloor to saint clair and then eventually eg west/oakwood.

York is nice, but it needs a bit more murals, revitalization, activation and cool eateries and galleries. The GO stations and LRT will help augment this.

I've never much liked this part of the city. Sure, it's not Scarborough or Etobicoke (specifically Rexdale) levels of awful, but it feels not only dilapidated, but like this strange no man's land between urban and suburban. Then there's Rogers Road, which I guess is considered the main retail strip, but it seems like nothing in the area has changed since the 70's. There's no sign whatsoever of Toronto's unprecedented building boom of the last 20 years in this area, which doesn't make sense to me because one would think this would be a prime area for redevelopment based on location alone. Also, the architecture throughout is consistently mediocre and utilitarian at best, even the old buildings. And my biggest gripe about the residential side streets is the surprising lack of trees - it makes the area look particularly barren and depressing.

East York blows York away in every category.

Then there's Rogers Road, which I guess is considered the main retail strip
For this area, I’d say it’s more along Eglinton. When the LRT is complete, that’s where I think you will see things changing.

There's no sign whatsoever of Toronto's unprecedented building boom of the last 20 years in this area, which doesn't make sense to me because one would think this would be a prime area for redevelopment based on location alone. Also, the architecture throughout is consistently mediocre and utilitarian at best, even the old buildings. And my biggest gripe about the residential side streets is the surprising lack of trees - it makes the area look particularly barren and depressing.
Not 100% disagreeing, however….

East York blows York away in every category.
a lot of what you said can be said about East York as well. Mediocre architecture and residential side streets lacking trees are something that absolutely exists in East York as well (particularly in between Cosburn, Donlands, O’Connor, and Woodbine. Thankfully, O’Connor north of St. Clair appears to be getting better streetscape. I know on the Old EY thread, @Northern Light had mentioned Coxwell and Donlands had trees in the past. I’d assume that’s the same for some of the strips in York as well?). I find on the few walkable strips outside of Old Toronto, streetscape kinda sucks tbh. I’m sure things will get better, but you can definitely see there’s a lot of work to be done in places like Eglinton West BIA, Pape Village, Weston, Old EY Village on Coxwell, Cliffside along Kingston Road, etc.

a lot of what you said can be said about East York as well. Mediocre architecture and residential side streets lacking trees are something that absolutely exists in East York as well (particularly in between Cosburn, Donlands, O’Connor, and Woodbine. Thankfully, O’Connor north of St. Clair appears to be getting better streetscape.

It is.

but you can definitely see there’s a lot of work to be done in places like Eglinton West BIA, Pape Village, Weston, Old EY Village on Coxwell, Cliffside along Kingston Road, etc.

Pape will get some work with the Ontario Line and O/L TOC works.

There are dramatic plans for Weston, stay tuned.

Coxwell, like Donlands, requires the removal of angled parking in order to do streetscape work in the retail nodes. On Donlands this should happen when Cycle Tracks go in, in a couple of years.

Cliffside may get significant improvements in association with the Danforth-Kingston Cycle tracks; that's if the new Councillor lets it go ahead.

Back