News   May 31, 2024
 564     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 372     0 

York University: Archives of Ontario (9s, Bregman and Hamann) COMPLETE

A

Archivistower

YORK UNIVERSITY PROVIDES NEW HOME FOR THE ARCHIVES OF ONTARIO
Ontario Government and University Work Together to Improve Access to Province’s Documentary Heritage

TORONTO – The Ontario government is partnering with York University to create a new home for the Archives of Ontario, Minister of Government Services Gerry Phillips announced today.

A new and modern facility for the Archives will be built on the main York University campus, at 4700 Keele Street, in Toronto. Over the next two years the Ontario government, in partnership with York University, will oversee the construction of a new archival facility that will provide better public services and enhance access to the province’s history.

“Partnering with an educational institution of international renown such as York University to build a new archival facility is an innovative and cost-effective way of protecting our province’s information legacy,†said Phillips. “Our government recognizes the importance of protecting Ontario’s documentary heritage and the need to provide easier access to the province’s largest information asset.â€

The new building, about 98,000 square feet in the heart of the York University main campus, will more than double the size of the current public reference area. The new, self-contained facility will meet international archival standards and make it easier to showcase some of the Archives’ most valuable collections by serving a broader clientele, including school groups and delegations.

As part of the government’s commitment to creating and promoting a culture of conservation in Ontario, the new archives building will meet the Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) silver certification, a nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high-performance green buildings.

“I am looking forward to working with York University to create a new home for the Archives of Ontario. This partnership will go a long way to ensure our collections are properly preserved so we can leave a more secure and prosperous legacy for future generations,†said Archivist of Ontario Miriam McTiernan.

The Archives of Ontario, which entered a long-term lease agreement with York University, is the largest provincial archives in Canada, with a collection valued at more than $400 million. It is responsible for preserving the documentary history of the province and is an important source of research for the police, courts, historians and genealogists.

“We are very excited to be able to work with the Ontario government to create a custom-designed building that will protect important public assets and have opportunities for collaboration on educational, research and related activities,†said York University President and Vice-Chancellor Lorna Marsden.

The project has been proceeding under ReNew Ontario, the government’s five-year, $30-billion infrastructure renewal plan to build strong and prosperous communities. It was implemented according to the principles of the Building a Better Tomorrow Framework for planning, financing and procuring public infrastructure, which protect the public interest and ensure that processes are fair, transparent and efficient.

The new Archives facility is expected to open in 2009.

Archivistower - where did the newsrelease come from? I just checked York U's site and they have some different specs, like a 290,000 sq/ft building as opposed to 98,000; and they talk about a seven storey building. Anyway, here's the link:

www.yorku.ca/mediar/archi...lease=1186

Excellent news! Glad this is being built in the 416 - and will also aid ridership somewhat when the new subway extension is completed. Let's all hope for a striking and timeless design!

One more reason to hate McGuinty. Something like should clearly be located downtown, not in the suburbs.

The AO has tried for years to get something downtown. It's cheaper to go to North York- I believe that's probably the principle reason for the choice location. A paring with a large and quite well respected university is also a good decision and will no doubt be a positive paring for both institutions. Hopefully it will soon be on a subway line.

I'm interested in seeing the final design.

It just wasn't going to happen downtown. In any case York U. is no longer considered to be the middle of the boondocks.

This is good news. It was stated a couple of years ago that some of this irreplaceable material is literally rotting away, from being stored in such poor conditions.

So, now we wait to see who will design it and what that design will look like. For those who didn't read the whole report, this building is going in immediately east of York Lanes and will include an entrance to the proposed subway station. It looks like the 98,000 square foot figure only includes the archives portion of the complex, which will include more retail, and more academic space for the university as well.

Will excavations for the subway under this building be made even if the feds don't kick in any change for the subway project? I would hope so.

yeah, there are definitely a few political reasons for the choice (which I don't think is particularly bad). I think the main one is that by building the archives at York this further increases traffic to that campus, further justifying the expansion of the subway into Sorbara's riding north of YorkU

But overall, I think it is good. The province has already invested so much money into York that it certainly doesn't hurt to have such a great resource at the fingertips of York's academics. I mean it isn't as though the Province is putting the archives out at UOIT in the middle of nowhere Oshawa.

The article in today's paper included a rendering. It is basically a 3-storey podium (probably the 98,000 sq. ft. portion as already suggested) for the actual archives, plus a further 7-storey building above to house researchers (presumably from the university).

I wonder who designed it? As mentioned previously, KPMB designed two of the initial bids - including the one at King and Church - before all ( except the York bid ) were withdrawn because the RFP was so onerous.

ArchivesofOntario.jpg

If we include the Archives of Ontario in a cultural category, then for upcoming new projects we have the Archives and the Music Hall of Fame announced, we have the Ismaili Centre and Museum to begin construction in 2007, and possibly a Toronto-Welcome-the-World thingie at the former Hummingbird.

Of course, there is always AquariOntario or the Ontaraquario or whatever the hell it is.

Wow! That's certainly a lot better than their current safety hazard of a building. Partnering with a university is definitely a great idea, since that will make it less of an orphan. Since U of T showed no interest, the eager York was the obvious choice.

Back