News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.4K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 104     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 359     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

YRT hasn't released the latest ridership figures, but the last figures they released, combined with the fact that they haven't released their latest ridership figures, suggests that ridership is declining or at least stagnant.

http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/rsx...jxp52hqhahzs2q76h5dx2ath/jun+12+ridership.pdf

April 2013 ridership was actually lower than April 2011 ridership, let alone April 2012.

I think YRT is already in a downward spiral. It's an endless cycle of service cuts and lost ridership and fare increases and more lost ridership and service cuts. It's sad to see.

wait wait ... keep in mind it was free sometime last year; So can't compare to that. Though I don't quite recall which 2 months that was.

wait wait ... keep in mind it was free sometime last year; So can't compare to that. Though I don't quite recall which 2 months that was.

IIRC, it was Feb/March/April so, yeah, the 2012 numbers wouldn't be fair. Was the strike only a year and a bit ago? Wow.

February and March.

In any case, I was actually comparing to April 2013 to 2011, not 2012. But yeah, it's lower than April 2012 as well.

I guess the strike drove away some riders too, we shouldn't forget that. But whose fault was it letting the strike last so long?

February and March.

In any case, I was actually comparing to April 2013 to 2011, not 2012. But yeah, it's lower than April 2012 as well.

I guess the strike drove away some riders too, we shouldn't forget that. But whose fault was it letting the strike last so long?

Weird I recall someone mentioning the growth was ~7-10% this year to date ? Don't they have more recent ridership stats ?

Weird I recall someone mentioning the growth was ~7-10% this year to date ? Don't they have more recent ridership stats ?

Oh my bad, I'm an idiot, I read it wrong. It's 0.7% increase compared April 2012. I guess it's 7-10% growth YTD is possible because there was a strike in January 2012, so January 2013 ridership was 91% higher. The real growth YTD might be like 1% or something.

I wonder if GO could be tempted to start up their Newmarket B service again? A student fare between Finch and Newmarket comes to $5.86 when compared to $4.30 by Viva. I'm not sure what a two zone monthly pass will cost, but a Presto card maxes out at $179.20 per month (though one could use a single zone pass on the Viva fairly easily). Even for adults, the extra speed to get from north Toronto to north York Region may become lucrative proposition.

No regular user ever pays cash fare ...
Do you not use transit? You frequently see people paying cash fares.

And not surprising too, given how tiny those tokens are ... I'm not unconvinced that it's cheaper to pay $3 cash than $2.65 with a token, given how they keep vanishing.

my wife and I both have pocket purses with zippers for our tokens... we dont lose any anymore.... but often I run out and resort to a cash fare until the wife reloads at Shoppers.

YRT doesn't use tokens, it uses paper tickets.

As far as the hike in fares goes, I'm sure if YRT had a loyalty program set for PRESTO card users similar to GO or MiWay (especially for students/children), it would be less of an issue, but I'm not sure if that's something for YRT or PRESTO to sort out.

YRT hasn't released the latest ridership figures, but the last figures they released, combined with the fact that they haven't released their latest ridership figures, suggests that ridership is declining or at least stagnant.

http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/rsx...jxp52hqhahzs2q76h5dx2ath/jun+12+ridership.pdf

April 2013 ridership was actually lower than April 2011 ridership, let alone April 2012.

I think YRT is already in a downward spiral. It's an endless cycle of service cuts and lost ridership and fare increases and more lost ridership and service cuts. It's sad to see.

Ridership seems to have plummeted in Vaughan, but everywhere else it seems stable or higher. VIVA's numbers are way up! Anyone know what the deal is in Vaughan?

As someone who lives and takes the bus in Markham, I feel pretty motivated (and have the time) to do something about this. I've already suggested it as a story for the local free newspaper (Markham Economist) and plan to e-mail some councillors. Can anyone recommend other courses of action?

I'm down to make some noise. The easiest and most convenient way by far is to contact the media (like the Economist) but also to contact @YRTViva and @YorkRegionGovt. They are both pretty active and actually respond and forward complaints/requests to the appropriate departments.

Any other suggestions?

Back