News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Never knew that YRT installed a next bus screen at Vaughan Mills until now. A really good decision!

IMG_1480.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1480.JPG
    IMG_1480.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 508
YRT has got to be the worst system in the GTA. What is with the lack of late night and sunday local service? Oakville, Brampton, Mississauga, Durham all have this.

well...simple answer is that they probably dont have enough service to justify it. Remember that YR is dominated by single homes and cars cars cars...
the high fares dont help either

well...simple answer is that they probably dont have enough service to justify it. Remember that YR is dominated by single homes and cars cars cars...
the high fares dont help either
Yeah but Oakville is the 3rd richest town in Canada. Brampton, Mississauga, Milton, Oshawa, Burlington are also dominated by single homes and cars. Not having service after 8pm in Aurora, some parts of Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill and lack of sunday service is abysmal

ex. https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/resources/18.pdf

Compared to http://oakvilletransit.ca/20-northridge.html

The difference is stark.

I mean, can you or anyone else explain this?

Yeah but Oakville is the 3rd richest town in Canada. Brampton, Mississauga, Milton, Oshawa, Burlington are also dominated by single homes and cars. Not having service after 8pm in Aurora, some parts of Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill and lack of sunday service is abysmal

ex. https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/resources/18.pdf

Compared to http://oakvilletransit.ca/20-northridge.html

The difference is stark.

I mean, can you or anyone else explain this?

It's absurd; here in Aurora, we don't even have connecting bus service on some of our routes when the last weekday PM peak GO train arrives northbound at 7:30 PM, as most routes stop service around 7. If you're taking the 6:45 train northbound from Union, you can't be a local transit user if you live along many of the GO-connecting routes. On the weekends, my route has no service at all while trains are every 1h15min most of the day!

On that note, this is why I'm so irritated when people on this board rant and rant about GO's parking-centricity, building more parking, and not charging money for parking, because everybody should walk, bike, or take local transit to their stations, everywhere in the GTA. I'd absolutely love to, so if somebody could let YRT know to start providing actual service, that would be neat.

Hours of service aside, I can't rely on taking the YRT to the station to catch a train/bus because 1) much of the day, the schedule isn't lined up for connections, 2) much of the day, the frequency is every 1h-1h30min despite GO buses being every 30min, and 3) the buses are extremely unreliable despite the lack of significant traffic or ridership to cause buses to go off-schedule and the generous running time. If I want to take it in the morning for AM peak southbound trains, I can't take the last train since if the bus is late I'm totally screwed, I have to take the second last train so that I have a fallback.

And for the one usage case where my local route DOES work, which is coming home from the first 6 of 7 northbound PM peak trains, taking the bus takes about 20-30 minutes longer, in total, than driving home.

Last edited:
It's absurd; here in Aurora, we don't even have connecting bus service on some of our routes when the last weekday PM peak GO train arrives northbound at 7:30 PM, as most routes stop service around 7. If you're taking the 6:45 train northbound from Union, you can't be a local transit user if you live along many of the GO-connecting routes. On the weekends, my route has no service at all while trains are every 1h15min most of the day!

On that note, this is why I'm so irritated when people on this board rant and rant about GO's parking-centricity, building more parking, and not charging money for parking, because everybody should walk, bike, or take local transit to their stations, everywhere in the GTA. I'd absolutely love to, so if somebody could let YRT know to start providing actual service, that would be neat.

Hours of service aside, I can't rely on taking the YRT to the station to catch a train/bus because 1) much of the day, the schedule isn't lined up for connections, 2) much of the day, the frequency is every 1h-1h30min despite GO buses being every 30min, and 3) the buses are extremely unreliable despite the lack of significant traffic or ridership to cause buses to go off-schedule and the generous running time. If I want to take it in the morning for AM peak southbound trains, I can't take the last train since if the bus is late I'm totally screwed, I have to take the second last train so that I have a fallback.

And for the one usage case where my local route DOES work, which is coming home from the first 6 of 7 northbound PM peak trains, taking the bus takes about 20-30 minutes longer, in total, than driving home.
I am so sorry. YRT charges the most in the GTA and provides the least amount of service, clearly. That's absurd about the lack of connecting buses. In Burlington the bus came every 30 minutes and where you live is no more then a 10 min walk from the bus stop.

Even with Brampton http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents/transit/plan-your-trip/Documents/Route_Cards_Main/30_print_4.pdf

There needs to be a service increase. This is something the province could be doing with York and GO transit together. We need transit subsidies yesterday.

Not sure what that means?.....Brampton has been steadily focused on building service levels and frequency as a/the way to build ridership....they have not been quiet about it and it has been having the desired effect with ridership growing fast.
I was just showing Brampton as an example as a suburb with much better service than York Region - that's all.

I am so sorry. YRT charges the most in the GTA and provides the least amount of service, clearly. That's absurd about the lack of connecting buses. In Burlington the bus came every 30 minutes and where you live is no more then a 10 min walk from the bus stop.

Even with Brampton http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents/transit/plan-your-trip/Documents/Route_Cards_Main/30_print_4.pdf

There needs to be a service increase. This is something the province could be doing with York and GO transit together. We need transit subsidies yesterday.

That is the bane for having such a huge coverage of service over vast suburban lands and towns. OK budget but too much to cover. Admittedly yrt couldve prioritized better but really with so many small municipalities requiring service I'm sure that if it's not Aurora getting shortchanged it's going to be somebody else. Think about it, yr spans a surface area greater than Toronto and probably as much as some of the Asian megacities, but transit total usage is probably akin to Brampton and oakville on a good day. You can't just pop a line in because you are the one of the very few inconvenienced ones. What they can probably do is put a dial a ride. You'll need a population spike of at least a million spread over the entire region in order to have justification for ttc like frequent service

Edit: this is me speaking as I ride a shinkansen in Japan where there are more bullet trains running out of a single during the day than all of the via corridor and go lakeshore lines combined during rush hour

... And, even worse, because of the double fare, some of what should be their prime routes are cannibalized by TTC.

The issue isn't that they're terrible but that they're trying to go in many directions at once, literally and figuratively. It's easy to bash the frequencies or the fares but it's all related.

People who live south of 7 try to avoid the double fare by driving to Finch, walking to Steeles or otherwise taking TTC on border routes instead of paying $4 to take a YRT bus that runs right outside their home.

I doubt there's any way to know the actual numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if YRT has some sort of internal guess. With a different fare structure, there would be fewer people riding (For example) the 53 and 60 TTC routes and more on the local YRT routes, Viva etc. There's a definite financial impact, negatively for YRT and positively for TTC, right in the area that should be YRT's breadbasket.

Back