News   May 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     1 

York Gardens Town Homes (346 Jarvis, 4s)

If you literalized the name "Thing", it'd make a nifty partner for the L Tower
thing.jpg

Actually, it only just occurred to me that the natural counterpoint to the L Tower should have been the X Condo, if Clewes hadn't dropped the ball on its design (maybe it should have been called the 'lowercase-l Tower'?). Our nascent Alphabet District, over before it began...

I wouldn't be surprised if the developers have sold the entire thing to another development company as part of a larger project. With the surrounding buildings someone with deeper pockets could certainly go higher.

I thought the "pressedboard palace" on the north side Maitland, just west of Church Street, was cheaply constucted. The Jarvis site looks cramped. really cheap and shoddily built.

Actually, detached from Lord F's arm after his untimely demise in a slap fight, and preserved in the British Museum until finding its way to that nice box.

"Suspicious" Fire Guts Townhomes Under Construction

I returned home (Radio City) last night at 1:30 AM to find all the streets around Jarvis/Carlton/Mutual cordoned off. There was a fire at some townhouses that was threatening the Radio City south tower (281 Mutual St.) on the south side. Residents reported flames and ashes shooting up past their windows. One resident reported that the heat melted drapes. By 1:30 the fire was out but residents of the tower were still waiting to be re-admitted.

The radio this morning reported a 3-alarm blaze which gutted three townhomes under construction. The blaze was deemed "suspicious".

I won't have time to take a look until tomorrow, but I am sure these townhomes are the ones which have created much amusement for some forum members here. I'd taken a look at them months ago and the work has been so shoddy, we were wondering what was up (I swear one of the doors was actually crooked). Never mind the fire; the whole construction project was "suspicious". In fact, when the recent news about the Jarvis Mansions debacle broke, I first assumed the news was about these townhouses.

(I tried to find a thread on the project here but can't remember if there was one or if all the memories of discussion have been from pub meets.)

BuildTO:

Hope everything is OK at your end. Was there any damage (real and/or cosmetic) to Radio City and the NBS right next door to the site?

The only bright side to this - there goes an eyesore...

AoD

Strange. I was walking by them at 4:30 yesterday afternoon and pondering their jerrybuilt crapitude...

I saw this happening from my balcony, I was pretty sure it was that townhome complex -

Suspicious Fire Destroys New Downtown Townhouse Complex
Saturday November 10, 2007

A three-alarm fire that destroyed three townhouses in the downtown core is being deemed suspicious.

Firefighters were called out shortly before 1am Saturday to the Jarvis and Carlton area, where flames erupted in some townhouses that were under construction.

After crews had extinguished the fire, they moved quickly to put out some more flames that had broken out on a balcony on the ninth floor of a building directly behind the site. Luckily nobody was hurt.

Toronto Fire Div. Commander Bob O'Hallarn estimated that there were seven new units being built in the complex.

The damage is estimated to be $500,000.

Back