X - The Condominium (Great Gulf Homes) - Real Estate -

It's almost always worth it to do the upgrades yourself, even if you have to hire a contractor. Builder upgrade prices are an unbelievable rip-off, especially if you have to build the price into your mortgage, in which case you're going to be paying for it twice.
I imagine they're high because they don't really want to do the upgrades. If upgrades were a respectable price, I'm sure a lot of people would opt for them. That wouldn't necessarily be good for the builder.

Hi there..
Have been reading this blog for awhile but just now signed up. My partner and I bought at the very beginning(Mar 2006) on the 34th flr. It has been interesting to read the comments/news/going ons etc. I remember being told back then that if one wished the appliances as in the model suite (all built in) they estimated (back then) approx $7000. We definatley want a smooth ceiling too...and prefer prior to move in..heard from others what a mess it can be otherwise. We also were wondering about the second bathroom to replace tub with built in shower ..I guess we will have to wait for our appointment still.
They never did have the design seminar evening with Ceccone/Simone that they were planning did they?The evening they originally planned was double booked with VU(or did we miss it?) . It is exciting to see the building going up now. I tried to look at the pdf of the upgrade price list but cannot enlarge..can someone be so kind to email? I also like the idea of more purchaser's mentioning the smooth ceilings! Thank you..later!

FYI, this is not a blog, but welcome to UT!

I'm not sure about the prices of the possible upgrades from the builder.

I got an indication from a contractor approx $1K to smooth out the ceilings.

Depending on how much GG charges, this could be worthwhile, I would be willing to wait a week to move in if the contractor goes to town on the ceilings.

Great Gulf contacted me to let me know the smooth ceiling upgrade for my unit (just under 600SQft) will be $860.00.

Not a bad price at all... I was going to opt out of this option thinking it would cost me $2500, but if it's in the low $1000's (mine's a bit over 700sq.ft), Im going to do it.

The only 'sure' upgrade Im doing is:

• Frosted Glass Wall between bedroom and den
  • Hardwood in Bed & Den

Depending on price and what's available as a standard option I might:
  • Upgrade the granite (if their isnt a dark granite option as a standard) or just go Quartz if it isnt too expensive (the more and more I see this material, the more I love it)
  • Smooth Ceilings (if less than $1500)
  • On the fence with the appliances
  • Add light receptacles in the bed & den

Still upset about the appliances... It's going to be a hassle to upgrade afterwards.

Anyways, -what are your thoughts about adding overhead lighting in a small bedroom and/or den?
Been debating whether this is needed or not? Im thinking a lamp would be enough to light up a small room and spending extra money to install light receptacles isnt needed?

Not a bad price at all... I was going to opt out of this option thinking it would cost me $2500, but if it's in the low $1000's (mine's a bit over 700sq.ft), Im going to do it.

The only 'sure' upgrade Im doing is:

• Frosted Glass Wall between bedroom and den
  • Hardwood in Bed & Den

Depending on price and what's available as a standard option I might:
  • Upgrade the granite (if their isnt a dark granite option as a standard) or just go Quartz if it isnt too expensive (the more and more I see this material, the more I love it)
  • Smooth Ceilings (if less than $1500)
  • On the fence with the appliances
  • Add light receptacles in the bed & den

Still upset about the appliances... It's going to be a hassle to upgrade afterwards.

Anyways, -what are your thoughts about adding overhead lighting in a small bedroom and/or den?
Been debating whether this is needed or not? Im thinking a lamp would be enough to light up a small room and spending extra money to install light receptacles isnt needed?

I wasn't thinking about this originally but will prob get the overhead lights in both rooms, just in case though I'll prob end up using lamps........I'm debating of whether or not of turning the den into a small dining room (le corbusier unit) so a small chandelair may be an option.

What are your thoughts on the glass sliding doors??

I'm pretty upset with the amana appliances, even the GE profile ones from the standard showroom would of been acceptable.....I thought great gulf would of put together something better than this..........

I"m also thinking about getting white quartz.....I think it is $2.7 K

I wasn't thinking about this originally but will prob get the overhead lights in both rooms, just in case though I'll prob end up using lamps........I'm debating of whether or not of turning the den into a small dining room (le corbusier unit) so a small chandelair may be an option.

What are your thoughts on the glass sliding doors??

I'm pretty upset with the amana appliances, even the GE profile ones from the standard showroom would of been acceptable.....I thought great gulf would of put together something better than this..........

I"m also thinking about getting white quartz.....I think it is $2.7 K

I like the frosted white glass doors, -but my unit is pretty small, and I doubt I'll ever have the doors closed so I'd be paying for something that I'd never enjoy.

I like the frosted white glass doors, -but my unit is pretty small, and I doubt I'll ever have the doors closed so I'd be paying for something that I'd never enjoy.

I agree with you, I love the frosted bedroom doors. However some downfalls are;

- When you re-sell your unit some people might have an issue with privacy and outside light (if not living alone)
- $845 is pricy per door, that money might go further with kitchen upgrades or the smooth ceiling
- Will these doors be closed most of the time? If not, is it worth it?
- The inside of the wall might not look as nice with the open glass doors vs. plain white wood ones.

I guess it also depends on how long you plan on living in the condo and what your upgrade budget it.

Some musts for me is the bedroom hardwood, smooth ceilings, kitchen cabinet lighting and slide in range (if I decide against the $9k appliance upgrade.....)

Some musts for me is the bedroom hardwood, smooth ceilings, kitchen cabinet lighting and slide in range (if I decide against the $9k appliance upgrade.....)

are you going to do the stainless steel upgrade? or just go black/white slide-in?

any word on what brand of appliances for the upgrade package that costs $8.9K - 11.2K ?

i recently saw some adverts in Sears and Future Shop for some s/s packages (range, fridge, d/w) from Kenmore, Whirlpool and Fridgedaire for ~$2K - 2.3K; and a KitchenAid package for $6K.

---------------------------------------
Not happy with the Amana appliances myself. Am disappointed that for such a high end building, they are "cheaping out". So I will be paying through the nose for the upgrades.

Here are the particulars (all built in) for those interested parties:

The built in appliances are a Liebher fridge, Fulgor cooktop and oven, Porter Charles dishwasher, Panasonic microwave and Maytag washer and dryer for $8905.

The 2nd option for built in appliances is the Liebher fridge, AEG cooktop and steam oven as well as washer and dryer, Panasonic microwave and Porter Charles dishwasher for $11260.

We also have an Amana stainless package upgrade, not built in though, for $1785.

I'm going for the $8905 package as the Maytag washer and dryer more than fit the bill (plus they will be hidden) and besides, who needs a steam oven? Check out the Fulgor cooktop websites. After checking them out, I am very impressed with the quality and the look.

hmmm I'm very intrigued

Does the upgrade show specific models for each brand that you'll be getting?

I checked out those websites and i'm very impressed, I'd like to know more about it (specific models)

Emailed to me by the Design Centre.

"The $8,905 price includes:

Appliances - first upgrade package
first upgrade package includes: LIEBHERR 30" bottom freezer/fridge (req
wood panels); FULGOR 30" glass cooktop, 30" self clean convection oven;
PORTER & CHARLES dshwshr (panel ready); FABER 30" integrated hood
fan-vented, 30" stnless steel front panel kit; PANASONIC microwave;
MAYTAG 24" front loading wshr, 24" front loading dryer, stacking kit

So to answer your question, yes it comes with the integrated hood fan
but it does not come with the slide in range."

I do not understand why the slide-in range is not included?

PORTER & CHARLES dshwshr (panel ready); FABER 30" integrated hood
fan-vented, 30" stnless steel front panel kit; PANASONIC microwave;
MAYTAG 24" front loading wshr, 24" front loading dryer, stacking kit

Because there's no slide-in needed. It's been upgraded to the glass cooktop and the integrated oven. It's nice stuff, -but still pricey.

The response from the Design Centre could have been clearer ... your 'range' consists of the glass cooktop, which is a drop-in, and the convention oven which is a built-in.

I dont suppose anyone asked about the model#'s for the Amana stainless steel appliances?

Also, does anyone know the quality or brand of the Quartz? Silestone, CaesarStone, Hanstone, etc...?

Back