2.7K     3 

WSJ backs Canada on softwood dispute

D

dan e 1980

tear 'em a new one PM²

-------------------------------------------------------------------

WSJ backs Canada on softwood dispute

CANADIAN PRESS

WASHINGTON — America's most powerful business publication threw its considerable influence behind Canada on Friday in its nasty trade spat with the U.S. over softwood lumber.

The Wall Street Journal, which has backed Canada in the past, said in an editorial today that Prime Minister Paul Martin has a strong argument about U.S. duties on Canadian softwood imports that average about 20 per cent.

"Americans have a stake here too, since the duties add about $1,000 to the cost of a new home and affect thousands of jobs in industries that depend on lower-cost Canadian lumber," the editorial said.

"President (George W.) Bush's vision of a strong North America depends upon the integrated market being allowed to work. That's as much in the interest of Americans as Canadians."

Martin met the newspaper's editorial board this week to discuss several topics, including the fact that U.S. officials aren't abiding by a final ruling under the continental free trade pact that sides with Canada.

He spent much of the day yesterday focusing on softwood, including a speech to Wall Street power brokers where he said the U.S. refusal to stop the punishing duties and return some $5 billion already collected is "nonsense" and "a breach of faith."

A panel under the North American Free Trade Agreement ruled in August that Canadian lumber doesn't pose a threat to American producers.

U.S. companies argue softwood from north of the border is unfairly subsidized and dumped on the American market at a low price.

------------------------------------------------------------------

didn't one of the biggest canadian lumber firms (macmillan bloedel) get bought by american CO. weyerhaeuser?

it's almost like the american government crippled the canadian lumber industry so that it can buy it out and own it.

lou dobbs said yesterday that the WTO ruled in favor of the states.

didn't the WTO rule in favor of canada? doesn't the U.S owe us 3.5 billion?

They did rule in our favour and the amount they owe us is $4 billion (although I have read reports that quote the amount at $5 billion so maybe it has reached that point now).

lou dobbs lied!

he lied to the american people. he made canada look bad for establishing trade deals with china and using oil as leverage.

he also made it look like our whole economy is based on exports to the U.S. he didn't say anything about U.S exports to canada. it's a two way street.

lou dobbs lied!

He also hates Mexicans, so yeah, thats in keeping with his journalistic integrity.

he made canada look bad for establishing trade deals with china and using oil as leverage.

Making Canada look bad is par for the course for corporate media in the US. And as far as using oil as leverage in regards to trade deals, well, we are.

he also made it look like our whole economy is based on exports to the U.S. he didn't say anything about U.S exports to canada. it's a two way street.

We are rather dependent on the US in terms of our economy. Canada has a lot of foreign investment, branch plants tend to be more common than homegrown businesses and since NAFTA we have benefited through increased trade with them. However Im sure he failed to mention that in terms of energy we provide them with anywhere between 15 - 25 percent of their energy needs and other trade that does take place. Lets also not forget that in order to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, they need to build a pipeline in the Yukon so that project largely depends on whether we agree to that.

Interesting to note, in some of my reading Ive come across a few cases in which America includes energy imported from Canada as part of its domestic numbers. Dont know what its worth really but I found it rather interesting.

In the US media anyone not subservient to the US is an enemy or has ill will towards the United States. Everything is black or white, with us or against us, etc.

It's not just that things are black and white... it's that all that is not white is automatically black.

for some reason, i'm thinking about ann coulter right now and i'm getting this uneasy feeling.

enough with the fnords already. :eek ;)

Actually, it was the NAFTA tribunal that ruled unequivocally in our favour. The WTO did have a ruling that could be interpreted as favouring the Americans on an element of the dispute.

Does it matter if they are just going to ignore any unfavourable NAFTA ruling?

Hey! Lou Dobbs has spoken. Nothing else matters...except maybe Fox weighing in.

I think I once saw the headline "America too bomb Canada on its mission to bomb Cuba". Lucky for us geography was never their best subject. If there is one benefit to this slow regression into pre-enlightenment "none of that crazy science learnin'" type of thinking its that they will barely know what state is next door to them let alone where Canada is.

Back