News   Aug 07, 2024
 84     0 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.5K     3 

Worthiness of "The Box"

1BE is nicely balanced with four seasons. It has texture,height and the podium is something different for the city. The podium's layered back and cover's a lot of ground. It's going to have a huge presence.

Let's remember, most people aren't architects, we just admire a building for what it makes us feel.

By the way, Toronto has some awful boxes. Like FCP and the TD buildings, to name a few. But they still add substance to the CBD. Which I like.

Run.

1BE is nicely balanced with four seasons. It has texture,height and the podium is something different for the city. The podium's layered back and cover's a lot of ground. It's going to have a huge presence.

Let's remember, most people aren't architects, we just admire a building for what it makes us feel.

By the way, Toronto has some awful boxes. Like FCP and the TD buildings, to name a few. But they still add substance to the CBD. Which I like.

Hide.

Run, hide. Why, FCP and TD are sacrosanct? I'm not the only person who thinks so.

Let's be honest, they are what they are.

Last edited:
Run, hide. Why, FCP and TD are sacrosanct? I'm not the only person who thinks so.

Let's be honest, they are what they are.

Hey E.B. welcome to UT.

I'm still new here too, but you will learn very quickly that you have to do a lot of posts that go like this... "Gee whiz! Golly thanks for the information." and "Great update so-and-so I really like your pictures!" and so on before any of the Party leaders will let you have an opinion and then when they do let you... They'll give you the opinion.

;)

E.B.: if you really take a look at TD, you'll see that it's far more than "what it is" (i.e. a box). It's a building where every little detail down to the flowers on the tellers' desks was designed with the greatest care.

You're an FCP fan, US? I'm suprised you don't find all that Carrera marble a bit gaudy.

Last edited:
Hey E.B. welcome to UT.

I'm still new here too, but you will learn very quickly that you have to do a lot of posts that go like this... "Gee whiz! Golly thanks for the information." and "Great update so-and-so I really like your pictures!" and so on before any of the Party leaders will let you have an opinion and then when they do let you... They'll give you the opinion

You got that right. Thanks for the support.

E.B.: if you really take a look at TD, you'll see that it's far more than "what it is" (i.e. a box). It's a building where every little detail down to the flowers on the tellers' desks was designed with the greatest care.

You're an FCP fan, US? I'm suprised you don't find all that Carrera marble a bit gaudy.

The TD buildings, as single structures, are okay, but when you add all the other buildings around it, too many boxes. Mind you, I've lived in Toronto all my life and love tall, nicely designed, buildings. Having said that, I like the overall feel of the skyline.

Traynor:

I'm still new here too, but you will learn very quickly that you have to do a lot of posts that go like this... "Gee whiz! Golly thanks for the information." and "Great update so-and-so I really like your pictures!" and so on before any of the Party leaders will let you have an opinion and then when they do let you... They'll give you the opinion

It's not like anyone prevented you from presenting your opinion on here, so really, stop equating the lack of support for (some of) it with how "party leaders won't let you have any"- it's getting really old, and you must be really, really masochistic to keep on posting here on UT if that's what you think it's all about.

And besides, it isn't like you'd mind all those words of thanks when you're the one posting the pictures.

E.B.:

If you want to revive this box vs. pseudobox vs. UT clique debate which you've help to start - please, there is the Aqua thread - that goes for everyone who want to keep on engaging themselves in this topic instead of talking about One Bloor.

AoD

Last edited:

I do - but I got so flustered when the TD was denounced as one of those "awful boxes" I smudged the eyeliner ... I mean the highlighter.

A box with a comb over, urbandreamer? Some back-coming too, I think - quite bouffant. And plenty of spray. Or maybe pomade.

Urban Shocker's pretentious schtick is definitely getting old. He likes to hear what he likes to hear.

Pretty t-shirt. Pretense is making unsupportable claims of significance ( the idea that this tower is "something completely diferent" in the Toronto context, for instance - when interchange's photographs show clearly that it isn't a new form at all. HP's wraparound residential point tower joins the line behind KPMB's skinny Maple Leaf Square and a handful of aA towers ). Seeing a building for what it is, rather than what it isn't, is much more sensible than pretense.

Pretty t-shirt. Pretense is making unsupportable claims of significance ( the idea that this tower is "something completely diferent" in the Toronto context, for instance - when interchange's photographs show clearly that it isn't a new form at all. HP's wraparound residential point tower joins the line behind KPMB's skinny Maple Leaf Square and a handful of aA towers ). Seeing a building for what it is, rather than what it isn't, is much more sensible than pretense.

You keep quoting me on this line US. I think you misunderstood the point that I was trying to express. When I said "completely different" I wasn't referring to the Toronto context, but rather to the aesthetic sensibilities that pervade this forum. My point is that just because one subscribes to the school of thought that Clewes boxes are excellent, which I do, that does not mean that one cannot also allow oneself to appreciate a design that such a dogma would automatically demand be renounced because it is post-modern or has "bits stuck on it." In other words, there's nothing wrong with appreciating something completely different from what one might otherwise dogmatically allow themselves to appreciate.

For example, you speak about Clewes' boxes with the highest of reverence, yet when you speak about One Bloor, you speak with indignant disdain for it and those whom might appreciate it. Thus, to me it is apparent that in your mind these designs are on opposite sides of the spectrum. Hence, One Bloor is something completely different from the kinds of designs that you would typically appreciate. That one could totally dismiss an otherwise decent design by virtue of the simple fact that it has "bits stuck on it" seems overly dogmatic to me. What I find pretentious though, is derision of those whom like the design of One Bloor despite the fact that, by your own admission, it is not significantly dissimilar to aA's glorious grey boxes.

Last edited:
The TD buildings, as single structures, are okay, but when you add all the other buildings around it, too many boxes. Mind you, I've lived in Toronto all my life and love tall, nicely designed, buildings. Having said that, I like the overall feel of the skyline.

Generally speaking, those who knock the TD as mere boxes are likely the sort to refer to "Miles Van Der Rohe"

Back