News   May 07, 2024
 449     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 374     0 

World's Happiest Places

Brandon716

Member Bio
Reaction score
Odd, I've always been under the impression that those south seas islands were the happiest. I'm rather surprised that one of the most heavily taxed nations in the world is #1.

Notice happiness and money don't really correlate. The places where you can really make money are nowhere at the top!

There goes that age-old perception. :)

I had read somewhere that Scandanavian countries also had a high rate of depression due to low daylight hours in the winter.

Otherwise, it appears that the dour northerners are doing quite well when it comes to being happy.

I wonder how the Irish are feeling now. Of the top five, it has the smallest welfare state and it's bubble has just burst in a very spectacular way. They are just inches from falling over the cliff Iceland did.

CBC or TVO had a documentary on happiness in Denmark a while back. Some of the explanations for the perceived happiness of the population were pretty standard, strong social security, good job opportunities, low crime and such. Pretty much what you would expect. One of the interviews though gave a more interesting explanation. Unlike the USA and many Anglo countries, Denmark doesn' have an equivalent to the "American Dream." In other words, most Danes realize that they probably wont be George Soros or Tom Hanks. Free of unrealistic expectations of their life they can focus on living the life they have in a pleasing manner. Thats not to say they are a bunch of apathetic slackers, but that don't tend to judge success or failure by completely unmeetable standards. Its not a total explanation but it was an interesting perspective.

In other words, most Danes realize that they probably wont be George Soros or Tom Hanks. Free of unrealistic expectations of their life they can focus on living the life they have in a pleasing manner. Thats not to say they are a bunch of apathetic slackers, but that don't tend to judge success or failure by completely unmeetable standards. Its not a total explanation but it was an interesting perspective.

this makes sense. to be pleased at what you have accomplished and have without the need or compulsion to measure oneself against very high standards is a good thing.

Re: Happiness. Perhaps the strong correlation between happiness and suicide rates is due to the impact of feeling down in a place where everybody is cheerful. If I were depressed, being around a whole society of happy people could put me over the edge.

Re: Australia. Maybe Australians aren't on the list because they are mostly surrounded by other Australians. Ow.

Back