News   May 16, 2024
 353     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 588     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.5K     0 

Woodbine Centre

Knowing me, though, I'd probably answer with "it's cool. I'm with Urban Toronto." before getting banned from the mall.
Haha! I wish that opened as many doors as it really ought to!

looks like they are filming something big at Woodbine Mall now , a sign read "8-Bit Base Camp Crew Set BG Holding".. , parking lot full of crew and trucks and power cables running throughout the mall
looks like the mall is good for something hahaha...
Woodbine - " I may not be a real mall , but I play one on tv" lol...

Last edited:
Haha! I wish that opened as many doors as it really ought to!

Years ago when I was writing articles for Transit Toronto I had a few doors open up. I was able to go down to the dig down of the York Concourse as part of the Union Station construction (it was just a cavern under the station at that point). We were also invited to other media events.

My name is still on the Transit Toronto page here but I no longer do any work for them because of time constraints when I left. Quite frankly I miss it.

looks like they are filming something big at Woodbine Mall now , a sign read "8-Bit Base Camp Crew Set BG Holding".. , parking lot full of crew and trucks and power cables running throughout the mall
looks like the mall is good for something hahaha...
Woodbine - " I may not be a real mall , but I play one on tv" lol...
Besides 1990's The Freshman, the Woodbine Centre's Fantasy Fair was used to film a small scene in Silent Hill 2 Revelation 3D.

It's been a long time since I seen the movie, but I remember one of the shops in the Fair being converted into some kind of evil butcher shop/meat locker.
I think I'll watch the movie again to post some screens here...

Years ago, I stumbled on set of something else being recorded at Woodbine. Second level overlooking the main concourse, a film crew was keeping shoppers
away from a shot from (if I remember correctly) a Keifer Sutherland project.

^ Shazam! was filmed inside the mall as well
1esx.g3wxat.940.jpg
1iar.gec4ls.940.jpg
1iat.7cmek3.940.jpg
1iau.g0lws6.940.jpg
1iaw.5jd3w5.940.jpg

Besides 1990's The Freshman, the Woodbine Centre's Fantasy Fair was used to film a small scene in Silent Hill 2 Revelation 3D.

It's been a long time since I seen the movie, but I remember one of the shops in the Fair being converted into some kind of evil butcher shop/meat locker.
I think I'll watch the movie again to post some screens here...

Years ago, I stumbled on set of something else being recorded at Woodbine. Second level overlooking the main concourse, a film crew was keeping shoppers
away from a shot from (if I remember correctly) a Keifer Sutherland project.

Are you speaking of Police Academy 4? This was filmed in 1987, David Spade included! It was nice to see the mall was it was alive and well.

Video Here!
(scene starts at 2:23)

Sorry the quality is a tad bit rough, best quality was a 480p.

A.png
B.png
C.png
D.png
E.png

I thought it featured Sinbad as a genie!?
yeah I thought so as well , I remember the Shaq movie as a kid , this is the only explanation I could find

Any proper child of the ’90s remembers the wonderfully terribly Shaquille O’Neal vehicle Kazaam. The kids’ comedy saw the NBA star portray a totally hip genie who helps his young master reconnect with his estranged father (and tries to launch a rap career somewhere in the middle there). However, more than a few other ’90s youths remember a second genie comedy being released around the same time, this one called Shazaam and starring Sinbad. The only problem is that movie never existed.

For years, the internet has been convinced that Shazaam was a thing, but even Sinbad himself says people are just confusing him with Shaq. This trick of collective false memory has recently become known as the Mandela Effect, a phenomenon in which shared life experience and social reinforcement lead to untrue things being take as fact by multiple people. Still, there are those who hold fast that Shazaam is not an example of the Mandela Effect, and is in fact a real film that has been lost in the VHS bins of time. And now CollegeHumor is here to prove them right.

A video posted on Saturday finds two young kids are trying to locate something to remind them of their deceased mother. What they stumble upon is an old lamp that turns out to be the home of — surprise — Shazaam! And yes, it is Sinbad and not Shaq! Find out what happens when the Mandela Effect becomes an April Fool’s reality

Last edited:
Think my pop's got mixed up with another Keifer Sutherland project. 2018's Designated Survivor which was partially filmed at Don Russell Pharmacy on Lake Shore Boulevard; also in Etobicoke.

Could have been Shazam. Matches up around the time I used to frequent Woodbine pre-pandemic. There's also that scene in the concourse. Unless you guys know of other TV shows or movies
that were filmed at Woodbine recently.

While I never skateboarded through Woodbine like a young David Spade did, I did press the red button next to the food court escalators once ....by accident.
Shazam can have his super powers. That red button unknowingly gave me the power to bring the escalators to a complete halt.... until security arrived to get
them running again a few minutes later.

With great powers comes great responsibility.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, I was actually on set for Designated Survivor, around the first couple of seasons, had fun playing a police officer at one point and another few scenes involving other things.

Just because we had the American flag on set (around the time the president was supposed to get sniped?) someone in their apartment building filled a bucket up with piss and threw it out over the balcony. Fun times. We were downtown quite often as that’s mostly where we shot.

Interestingly enough, I was actually on set for Designated Survivor, around the first couple of seasons, had fun playing a police officer at one point and another few scenes involving other things.

Just because we had the American flag on set (around the time the president was supposed to get sniped?) someone in their apartment building filled a bucket up with piss and threw it out over the balcony. Fun times. We were downtown quite often as that’s mostly where we shot.
Your foray into the movie business far surpasses mine: One time while browsing through CD's at Music World, an older lady noticed my NACI lanyard and asked if I worked there.

Still fighting off the paparazzi to this day.

Would you travel all the way from Brazil to visit the Woodbine Centre back in 2007? That's exactly what our next photographer did.

You'll notice Music World in the top right corner. Up until I moved out of Rexdale that same year, I remember that spot was a Sunrise Records for quite some time. Music World was on the
bottom level near the front entrance. Sadly, Music World would go out of business in 2007.

If memory serves me correctly, the two display cases in front of Music World contained pieces of game-worn Hockey and Football memorabilia. Though, I remember the cases being displayed
closer towards the Fantasy Fair entrances. Can't recall if the memorabilia is still on display in the Woodbine.

For a short while, Softron Tax took over the arcade (Sky Games) next to where the cinema used to be.

497158859_74036a9de2_o.jpg

As for our photographer, he had this to write on his trip to the Woodbine one Sunday afternoon:

"Só que as lojas já estavam fechadas =/" (Only the stores were already closed =/).

Will he ever return during Woodbine's opening hours? We may never know...

Photo credit: Gustavo / Ken-ichi / Shaolin

Last edited:

Back