News   May 03, 2024
 962     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 591     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 284     0 

Wonders never cease - Svend Robinson "forced to resign

Re: Wonders never cease - Svend Robinson "forced to re

Maybe Svend thought it was the One Ring. It's the only way the NDP will ever get to rule over us, sadly.

thats very sad. very very sad.

What the hell is wrong with him? For crying out loud, with his salary, the ring is likely anything but unaffordable.

Sheesh.

GB

The Globe's story is wrong. He hasn't resigned as an MP, only as the NDP candidate in his riding. And then only temporarily until the Crown decides what to do. And I can't imagine that he would be charged.

Though what is it with the kneedippers and the sticky fingers? It's just like that time Lorne Nystrom helped himself to some contact solution...

andreap:

He has to be charged. Not doing so would fly against the law, to say the least, and gives out the wrong message.

GB

He should (not has) be charged [I believe the crown has discretion]. After that his lawyer and the crown will probably do a plea deal (especially if it his first offense).... and will likely be negotiated to a (non-criminal) offense, where he may offer to do restitution and community service.... that is of course if he does not violate the "plea agreement" [which is not likely to happen].

Unbelievably funny. :rollin

Although I strongly oppose Robinson's policies such as legalizing gay marriages, and many other issues relating to homosexuality, I've always had respect for him as a man of principle.

I don't understand why he turned himself in. I guess he's been under too much pressure. He's had a successful and long career so it would be understandable if he wants to settle down and retire from politics.

I'm not saying I like the guy but I think Canada needs more politicians like him, not only from the NDP but from opposite parties as well, guys that will stand up for what they believe in despite what public opinion seems to be. The last thing we need is more liberals like Paul Martin doing whatever will make them look good and get them more votes and public support.

Svend Robinson steps down

I don't understand why he turned himself in.

This is not an issue of kleptomania or criminality. Obviously the man is suffering emotionally, and this was a cry for help. He committed theft knowing full well that he could not do so without getting caught. He was immediately regretful and went to great lengths to correct his action.

Robinson has far more character and integrity than those of you who are seizing the opportunity to laugh and gloat.

Re: Svend Robinson steps down

"Obviously the man is suffering emotionally, and this was a cry for help. He committed theft knowing full well that he could not do so without getting caught."

I have to agree with you, BuildTo. However, Im curious... Had it been Ernie Eves, or perhaps Harris instead of Robinson, would you still feel the same way?

i know personally my reaction wouldnt be the same, and the reason is simple. svend robinson is human. he has a soul. i believe he's capable of true compassion and remorse, and id imagine he feels horrible right now. if a similar story came out about eves or harris i wouldnt feel the same because i see them as cold-hearted and insensitive, i don't think either of them are capable of experiencing remorse

Absolutely I would have reacted the same way. It's one thing to criticize somebody's values, policies or political competence, but if somebody is mentally ill, they deserve compassion.

I, for one, have felt sorry for Mike Harris' marital troubles. That was separate from his policies.

...James

nt:

"I have to agree with you, BuildTo. However, Im curious... Had it been Ernie Eves, or perhaps Harris instead of Robinson, would you still feel the same way?"

No. For the simple reason that unlike Sven, those individuals championed nothing but meanspritedness to others who are less fortunate. Given such circumstances, one can hardly expect sympathy.

GB

I hear his lawyers will use the risky "Gollum defence".

Back