364     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Windsor: $1.6B International Bridge connection

Colin

Member Bio
Reaction score
$1.6B highway to link 401 with new international bridge at Windsor
Last Updated: Thursday, May 1, 2008 | 12:10 PM ET Comments0Recommend1The Canadian Press
The most expensive highway ever built in Ontario will link Highway 401 with a new international bridge to be built over the Detroit River in Windsor, the federal and Ontario governments announced Thursday.

Construction is expected to start next year on the $1.6-billion, 12-kilometre stretch of six-lane "below grade roadway," which will run through Windsor and the neighbouring communities of Tecumseh and LaSalle.

The new highway will include 11 tunnel sections stretching a total of about two kilometres, while other parts will be built below-grade to minimize the impact of traffic noise and exhaust on neighbourhoods. The project will also create about 240 acres of park land and 20 kilometres of recreational trails.

The five-year construction plan is expected to create about 12,000 project-related jobs, two-thirds of them in Windsor, which has been reeling from layoffs because of the downturn in the auto sector.

The new access road would be five times more expensive per kilometre than any previous highway built in Ontario, but it must first pass an environmental assessment before it gets final approval.

Both levels of government are recommending it proceed, announced federal Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon, who was joined by Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan and Economic Development and Trade Minister Sandra Pupatello, both of whom represent Windsor ridings.

Highway 401 currently stops about 12 kilometres short of the border with Detroit, forcing trucks onto city streets and slowing down international trade. Provincial officials say a motorist driving from Toronto to Florida by highway encounters 19 traffic lights, 16 of them in Windsor.

Getting the truck traffic off Windsor's streets and improving the speed with which vehicles and goods can get across the international border has long been a goal of the local, provincial and federal governments.

Several options are still being considered for the new bridge to be built at the Windsor-Detroit crossing, and the exact location is expected to be announced in the next few months by the Detroit River International Crossing committee, a joint project of Transport Canada and the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.

The Ontario Chamber of Commerce hailed the new highway as a "critical step" toward the opening of that new international crossing in 2013. Chamber president Len Crispino said improving the flow of traffic at the border is a "matter of national and international urgency."

"Secure but efficient trade and tourism is vital to the continued prosperity of our country and to our relations with our largest trading partner," he said in a statement. "But it's also a crucial factor in the attraction of new investment."

I don't know this area that well, any thoughts

Great news! I hope it gets done. I've been crossing there for over 20 years and amazed at the trucks lined up on city streets adjacent to residential neighbourhoods. It's called the Windsor-Essex Parkway, here's the website for renderings and more info.

Here's the project website:
http://www.weparkway.ca/index.html

I had trouble finding a map, but here it is (Warning: 25MB PDF)
http://www.weparkway.ca/pdfs/Parkway_TEPA_MediaWebsite.pdf

Basically, it would follow Highway 3 from the 401/Highway 3 interchange (end of the 401) up to Huron Church, and then connect to the west end of the EC Row expressway and meet the new bridge where it would hit around Zug Island on the Detroit side and connect to Interstate 75 south. It's very elaborate, and really expensive on a per-kilometre basis.

I had trouble finding a map, but here it is (Warning: 25MB PDF)
http://www.weparkway.ca/pdfs/Parkway_TEPA_MediaWebsite.pdf

Geez, I couldn't even find the map. Very annoying, especially since there's a link to "overview and maps".

Good to hear that this is finally moving forward. It's surprising that they're planning on converting Huron Church to an expressway.

I don't understand why they're running alongside the EC Row rather than simply taking it over. Rebuild the interchange at Huron Church, straighten out Ojibway Pkwy and add an interchange, and basically extend the EC ROW to the new bridge.

Property Acquisition will see a huge amount of existing business and homes torn down.

Some for the good.

It will cut down on the amount of time it takes to travel that 12km today.

It will speed up the crossing time and not have to sit behind rigs.

It will help to take the pressure off the tunnels as well Windsor Quelette Ave itself.

Will have to back track to get to 96.

Long over due.

Now Buffalo.

That reminds me, the first time I drove back into Ontario via Windsor, I thought I had taken a wrong turn as I had assumed the bridge led directly to the 401. Nope.

heres a render from the site:

untitled.jpg

Looking at the aerial view in Google Maps, it seems like a lot of the property in the path of this expressway is very recently constructed subdivisions.

It will be great for Windsor to get the trucks out of the centre or town.

More money for roads!?

Getting trucks off city streets and providing a decent link to the 401 is important. However, investing this much money to facilitate the movement of goods by trucks doesn't seem too smart. I believe that moving freight by train is over 4 times as fuel efficient as using trucks. We should be investing in infrastructure to get more freight off the roads and onto the rails. More subsidies for the railways and less for the trucking industry.
I believe this project will increase the volume of truck traffic and contribute to Windsor’s terrible air quality problem.

Getting trucks off city streets and providing a decent link to the 401 is important. However, investing this much money to facilitate the movement of goods by trucks doesn't seem too smart. I believe that moving freight by train is over 4 times as fuel efficient as using trucks. We should be investing in infrastructure to get more freight off the roads and onto the rails. More subsidies for the railways and less for the trucking industry.
I believe this project will increase the volume of truck traffic and contribute to Windsor’s terrible air quality problem.

There are many industries that are interconnected between Michigan and Southern Ontario. The automobile industry is the clearest example, with factories in Ontario feeding factories in Michigan and vice-versa. With modern just-in-time delivery, trains just aren't economically feasible for these short-haul trips. We're stuck with trucks for the time being.

I'm glad to see this getting built. My guess is that due to the price and size of this project, the mid-peninsula highway in Niagara will be put further on the back burner.

This new highway is obviously very essential. It'll be interesting to see what design they choose for the new bridge. It seems like they're going to go the cable-stayed route. That would look good, and distinctive next to the old Ambassador Bridge.

They're going with a separate route from the E.C. Row expressway for several reasons. For one thing, all the merging that would be necessary to combine the two routes would reduce safety and capacity. The existing expressway is well below provincial codes. It just makes more sense to keep two separate highways to meet the two very separate needs. The new bridge will still have an entrance from the E.C. Row.

This'll be the end of Moroun. He's going to lose a fortune once the new bridge gets built. Who would take the Ambassador Bridge? Local commuters would stick to the tunnel.

Hopefully that gets killed off entirely. Same goes with the 404 extension, the 407 extension, the 427 extension, and the Brampton-Guelph route.

i agree entirely. Down in Niagara the only thing they should be concerned about is twinning the Peace Bridge.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the mid-peninsula highway is a waste of time. It's still four lanes between St. Catharines and Fort Erie, that could still be expanded to six. The resources for a new highway would be better spent building a high speed train route from Toronto to Buffalo. If tourists could get to Niagara Falls in 45 minutes on a train none of them would ever drive again.

Back