News   Jul 03, 2024
 48     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 702     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.2K     0 

Will Justin Trudeau's Liberals win every seat in Toronto again?

Will the Liberals win every seat in Toronto again?

• Yes

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters
I think she’s in the wrong riding. She appeals to POC and in Toronto Centre my guess is POC are not voters, either because they’re not yet citizens or they’re young adults. It’s the old guard who vote in Toronto Centre, and they’re solidly Liberal. There are a growing group of Green supporters here in CT, I’m one, but we’re few.
Is there a "right riding" for the Greens in Toronto?

It's a shame we don't have a more proportional system like STV. It would be nice, and good for the country, if Conservatives (and Greens) got elected in Toronto, and Liberals/NDP in Alberta.

It's a shame we don't have a more proportional system like STV. It would be nice, and good for the country, if Conservatives (and Greens) got elected in Toronto, and Liberals/NDP in Alberta.

I'm more a fan of MMP (specifically the variant that has fulsome number of local seats; then uses party-list candidates or pool candidates to bring representation in line w/actual voting.)

But I wholeheartedly agree that FPTP is a deeply flawed system.

Hence the phenomenon of the strategic voting in inner Toronto ridings where the Tories are a non-factor. But at this point I think a lot of one-time strategic voters actually like Justin Trudeau's Liberals.

MMP is absolutely the right way to go. See Germany for stable coalition governments, local representation and diversity of parties elected to the Bundestag.

Sadly, don't think we'll ever get anywhere close to that. As long as the Liberals or Cons keep alternating power, neither have any incentive to ever change the electoral system.
Many people object to party lists. This is where STV can be helpful. It ensures every MP is elected by local voters selecting the names of candidates, while still being roughly proportional. Also discourages splintering of parties into too narrow interests.

Yes.

With the Conservatives in power provincially and tripping over themselves on the federal level, it's almost guaranteed Liberal domination in Toronto will continue.

Many people object to party lists. This is where STV can be helpful. It ensures every MP is elected by local voters selecting the names of candidates, while still being roughly proportional. Also discourages splintering of parties into too narrow interests.

What you see as a flaw, I see as a virtue.

We need people to be able to see their ideas represented on the National/Provincial Stage.

That doesn't mean empowered, it doesn't mean they get their pet project/obscure bill through.

But they get to talk about it.

That's important.

I think she’s in the wrong riding. She appeals to POC and in Toronto Centre my guess is POC are not voters, either because they’re not yet citizens or they’re young adults. It’s the old guard who vote in Toronto Centre, and they’re solidly Liberal. There are a growing group of Green supporters here in CT, I’m one, but we’re few.

The Greens historically perform poorly in ethnoburbs. The Greens received as little as 2% in some Brampton ridings in 2019. The Greens perform well in urban ridings with a lot of upper-middle class professionals, and have pockets of support in small and midsize cities with universities, like Guelph and KW.

The Greens historically perform poorly in ethnoburbs. The Greens received as little as 2% in some Brampton ridings in 2019. The Greens perform well in urban ridings with a lot of upper-middle class professionals, and have pockets of support in small and midsize cities with universities, like Guelph and KW.
I think you picked the two small/mid size cities where they did alright. Most small/mid town cities in Ontario with Universities ( Sudbury, St Catharines, Sault Ste Marie, Peterborough, Kingston, even Thunder Bay with Bruce Hyer) they did not do "well".

given current polling numbers I expect the Liberals to keep all of Toronto, more or less.

How the 905 and rest of the province breaks down will be interesting. They basically swept the GTA in the last election, but still need more to win a majority.

Seats like Oshawa, Hamilton Mountian, Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill, Markham-Unionville, Niagara Falls, Flamborough-Glanbrook, and Barrie-Innisfil will need to flip for them to have a chance.

Alejandra Bravo is running for the NDP nomination in Davenport. She ran three times for city council in the northern part (former ward 17).

I'm assuming Bravo is Portuguese? That might help the NDP build its vote north of Dupont, which typically goes Liberal.

Still, as innsertnamehere notes, if an election were held today, the 416 would likely stay red, with possibly the exception of Toronto Centre.

Back