News   Jul 17, 2024
 90     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 721     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 530     0 

Why is Eastern Ave/Front St. SUCH a disaster and when will it be fixed??

RichA

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Coming off the DVP southbound.
I swear, I can hear my car's suspension being damaged bit by bit as I drive that rutted minefield. I'll probably start getting off at Bloor or something...Seems like the 15 years they spent ripping up, paving and re-ripping up around Bloor and Yonge, some of the money wasted on that could have been used down south.

I swear, I can hear my car's suspension being damaged bit by bit as I drive that rutted minefield. I'll probably start getting off at Bloor or something...Seems like the 15 years they spent ripping up, paving and re-ripping up around Bloor and Yonge, some of the money wasted on that could have been used down south.
It's part of the war against cars. I bet you thought that was just a metaphor.

The watermain and sewer east of Parliament was installed last summer and the contract to rehabilitate Front/Eastern east of Parliament was awarded last fall but they only finished some of the sidewalks before the cold(er) weather arrived. I assume they will be back to finish that section in March or April.

There is a tender call out right now to complete the watermain from Sherbourne to Jarvis (the section east of Sherbourne was done last year). It closes next week.

Once the watermain is done there will be a major tidy up on Front Street including extending the median from Jarvis to George, new sidewalks creating more 'bump-outs' at several cross streets and, if Hydro get their act together, burying most of the wires and putting up better streetlights. The local BIA are paying for some of this and it should look pretty decent when it's finished (September/October.)

Wow, I just can't believe the over the top whining.

They are doing it properly. Which means that everyone takes their turn digging up the street, and then when they are finished, they do the rebuild - which I believe is happening later this year. This should avoid the delays you naturally get on projects like Bloor and St. Clair when you try and get everyone in at the same time. (15 years Bloor? Really? Exaggerate much?)

But your whining about doing it that way as well. Would you prefer they just gave up on the sterets all together?

Was that you then I saw driving through the Front/Jarvis intersection (well, not driving judging by all the cars behind honking) at around 1:10 pm today typing on your smartphone while driving a Black Lexus RX350 licence plate BJNL 534?

And really, we need another thread about this project? Of course if you'd actually read any of the other threads ...

That is the idiot's (read: Toronto politician's) way of doing road work

Wow, I just can't believe the over the top whining.

They are doing it properly. Which means that everyone takes their turn digging up the street, and then when they are finished, they do the rebuild - which I believe is happening later this year. This should avoid the delays you naturally get on projects like Bloor and St. Clair when you try and get everyone in at the same time. (15 years Bloor? Really? Exaggerate much?)

But your whining about doing it that way as well. Would you prefer they just gave up on the sterets all together?

Was that you then I saw driving through the Front/Jarvis intersection (well, not driving judging by all the cars behind honking) at around 1:10 pm today typing on your smartphone while driving a Black Lexus RX350 licence plate BJNL 534?

And really, we need another thread about this project? Of course if you'd actually read any of the other threads ...

You think people digging up the street, then filling it in, then another group digging it up again makes sense, huh? How about everyone who needs to have some work done under the road do it at the same time?? To avoid excessive cost and irritation to people who have to USE the street? And Bloor had been under intermittent construction for at least 15 years.
P.S. Driver's who text should be shot.

You think people digging up the street, then filling it in, then another group digging it up again makes sense, huh? How about everyone who needs to have some work done under the road do it at the same time?? To avoid excessive cost and irritation to people who have to USE the street? And Bloor had been under intermittent construction for at least 15 years.

There are apparently rules that state only one contractor can be on site at any one time - prsumably so you know who is doing what and can get sign off on one project at a time.

You think people digging up the street, then filling it in, then another group digging it up again makes sense, huh? How about everyone who needs to have some work done under the road do it at the same time??
Like they are doing on Bloor? Where you note that it's taken 15-years (which it hasn't of course ...).

What about the ones that exceed the posted speed limit, and then complain about the rough streets?

Like they are doing on Bloor? Where you note that it's taken 15-years (which it hasn't of course ...).

What about the ones that exceed the posted speed limit, and then complain about the rough streets?

I'm not sure if you drive, but generally speaking, driving fast over a bumpy road is the way to go, for a smoother ride that is. So it's those darn slow pokes who would complain ;)

There are apparently rules that state only one contractor can be on site at any one time - prsumably so you know who is doing what and can get sign off on one project at a time.

This depends on which entity takes on the role of Constructor per the labour code. If the City was the Constructor, they could allow more than one contractor on the same project, but if the general contractor is the Constructor, they have full control over the project limits.

My guess is that in most cases with City contracts, the general contractor is the Constructor.

This depends on which entity takes on the role of Constructor per the labour code. If the City was the Constructor, they could allow more than one contractor on the same project, but if the general contractor is the Constructor, they have full control over the project limits.

My guess is that in most cases with City contracts, the general contractor is the Constructor.

But the contract could still have the first contractor dig the hole - do what they need to, and then finish. A second contractor could do whatever work is needed and fill in the hole. Provided that the amount of time needed to do the work is accurately predicted, the second Contractor could start shortly after the first finishes.

Too many cops for that

I'm not sure if you drive, but generally speaking, driving fast over a bumpy road is the way to go, for a smoother ride that is. So it's those darn slow pokes who would complain ;)

The police LOVE to lie in wait at the bottom of the hill on Eastern, coming from the Parkway. 50kph or they get you!

Back