News   May 10, 2024
 210     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 265     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 378     0 

Why Does Hamilton Constantly Get Screwed?

Hamilton needs to be selling the West Harbour site better. Even if the arguments needs to be dumbed down...

OMG U GUYS! This West Harbour site is amazing! The will have a view of the Harbour which will be so kewl (not like looking at corn fields! lol!). It's right across from that big Bayfront Park where we can chill before or after games (that other site only has PARKing lots! lol!). It's near York Blvd which goes to the 403 and near Burlington St which zips u right over to the QEW and Red Hill Parkway, so it's super easy 2 get 2! It's right by that new GO Train station, so people can ride right in from Burlington or Niagara (I <3 the GO train! good luck doing that in the middle of nowhere! lol!)! And it's just down the street from Copps Coliseum! U know sports bars and restaurants will want 2b around that area!

There are already a number of large sports bars in the area: Honest Lawyer, Cottage Life (big outdoor, rooftop patio), new Stonewalls Gastropub.. not to mention the fact that the West Harbour is a 10min walk from Hess Village!

And the best part... Once you DRINK at the game, you can do something besides DRIVE home right after!

West Harbour, and Downtown, has been getting a lot of attention lately (Katz/AEG, Balsillie)... but it needs more than just talk. It needs one of these OUTSIDE investors to step up. Once a Stadium-Entertainment District is designed steps from our Core, I'm certain outside investment will move in.
... a Dave & Busters would be nice!!

Toronto Makes Right Stadium Decision: In 1955

I found this G&M article from 1955 pretty funny. Toronto was facing a similar stadium decision, and SURPRISE, they made the smart choice to locate near downtown (Exhibition Place) over inside the Don Valley north of Bloor-Danforth:

(far left article)
800px-Toronto-1955-transport-plan.png

source

Hamilton needs to be selling the West Harbour site better. Even if the arguments needs to be dumbed down...

OMG U GUYS! This West Harbour site is amazing! The will have a view of the Harbour which will be so kewl (not like looking at corn fields! lol!). It's right across from that big Bayfront Park where we can chill before or after games (that other site only has PARKing lots! lol!). It's near York Blvd which goes to the 403 and near Burlington St which zips u right over to the QEW and Red Hill Parkway, so it's super easy 2 get 2! It's right by that new GO Train station, so people can ride right in from Burlington or Niagara (I <3 the GO train! good luck doing that in the middle of nowhere! lol!)! And it's just down the street from Copps Coliseum! U know sports bars and restaurants will want 2b around that area!

Nicely done. You know, you may have a career here...

And if you have a chance to pick up "Diamond Dreams" by Stephen Brunt, which is about the first twenty years of the Jays (and ten+ years prior to 1977) there is quite a bit of information spread out throughout the book about the Dome, including comments from Godfrey and Beeston which don't appear in that article. It's a good read about not just the business of baseball, but the business of sport and what goes on behind the scenes that people never consider.

Not quite the same as the situation in Hamilton, but here is an article from Torontoist on the siting of SkyDome:

http://torontoist.com/2009/06/historicist_the_road_to_skydome.php
Not sure what to take from the SkyDome comparision. That Blue Jay attendance at Sky Dome would be better if they'd have built it somewhere more accessible by car? Rogers Centre attendance of late is lower than it was from 1983 to 1989 at Exhibition Stadium - with it's big parking lots.

My Dad kept telling me to go over to the SkyDome for Jays games after about the 6th inning because when he lived in Boston, they'd let you into Fenway Park free at that point. Unfortunately the Jays still charge full price. I think that if they let people in free for the last few innings of the game, they could make it a kind of neighbourhood event. It's not as if they're filling the seats anyway, and who knows? I might buy a hot dog or a beer or something.

Back