News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Why do you buy pre-construction real estate?

Thanks for all the advices..
I am buying from ONNI and wasnt sure how important it is for the lawyers to confirm.
I figured that there are few things to check sucH AS
*Capped Closing cost, Hidden charges, Square Footage...
just hope it won't cost me lots for nothing :eek:

You're spending $3-$400k! And you're worried about spending "lots for nothing" on having a lawyer check the contract. Why...because developers have such a great track record and low level of complaints from pro-construction purchasers.

Sorry for the harsh language, but give your head a shake, talk to a lawyer, and take NOTHING for granted.

For example, a 2014 completion date? (or whatever) Don't believe it - it will be 2016 or 2017, and there is nothing you can do.
A pretty landscaped park in the design plan right next to your 6th floor window (but it is currently a parking lot)? Don't believe it - expect that it will be another building blocking your view, and there is nothing you can do about it.
A clause prohibiting "assignments" (ie you sell the precon before it is finished). Well that means you can't sell your precon until it is finished, and you don't get back your deposit untli then . And there is nothing you can do about it.

Seriously. Do some serious reading up on all of this pronto.
Don't just blindly believe ANYTHING told to you by someone who profits off your purchse of your precon. Not the developers, not the salesperson, not your agent.

thanks daveto
i hear what you are saying..

but even if i meet up with the lawyer, (not saying i won't)
there's nothing much i can change..

you make it sound like buying a pre con is the worst thing in the world :)

by the way i called Kauffman, he is not calling me back, left messages for his voicemail
anyways, will visit the lawyer first thing monday, unless they work tomorrow.

thanks daveto
i hear what you are saying..

but even if i meet up with the lawyer, (not saying i won't)
there's nothing much i can change..

you make it sound like buying a pre con is the worst thing in the world :)

by the way i called Kauffman, he is not calling me back, left messages for his voicemail
anyways, will visit the lawyer first thing monday, unless they work tomorrow.

Are you past your 10 day window since you signed? You have 10 days to cancel or change if needed. After that, I think you are indeed locked in

only 3days passed, got weekend now so on the 5th day i will take it to a lawyer see what he says..
any lawyers u could recommend who's familiar with this? let me know please..

You must also read through the Disclosure Statement as that sets out what rules govern you living there amongst other things.

only 3days passed, got weekend now so on the 5th day i will take it to a lawyer see what he says..
any lawyers u could recommend who's familiar with this? let me know please..

I believe the 10 days is 10 business days so weekends don't count but you should clarify this. In any event, I would not leave it until last minute.

I believe the 10 days is 10 business days so weekends don't count but you should clarify this. In any event, I would not leave it until last minute.

Under section 73 of the Condominium Act, 1998, the 10 day rescission period does not begin until the Purchaser receives a copy of the Disclosure Statement, the contents of which are set out in section 72. Once they are in receipt of same, the 10 day clock starts to run and includes weekends and holidays.

http://condo.ca/condo/2010/11/18/a-reader-asks-about-rescission.html

^^^
Thank you for clarifying. Most offices give the disclosure statement right when you sign so I am guessing the 10 day clock started when the offer was signed Shyne.

There are risks with everything. You just have to watch Holmes on Holmes to see some of the unfortunate surprises that purchasers of pre-owned homes have to deal with. At least with a new home, you are covered to a large extent by the Tarion warranty. A smart purchaser would make sure their contract specifies floor plan, approx dimensions and finishes.

Unfortunately Tarion only provides limited warranty coverage. Brookfield Homes the builder of my current pre-con town-house charged me $4k for sound proofing and my neighbor can still hear my bedroom TV even at low volume. According to Tarion the builder's only liability is for installation not performance. Build quality, customer service by Brookfield Homes is horrific.

A few examples of issues I had with the builder:
Changes to floor plan from the original builder which Brookfield failed to inform me despite charging me $1000s for home theatre wiring, network and power outlet upgrades based on the original configuration which resulted in having to buy a smaller TV, outlets too high, in wrong locations and the chandelier installed in the living-room. Brookfield's response was this configuration was their intention from the get-go yet they documented the upgrades with me using an inaccurate floor-plan. No action/apology from builder.

Insisted that I pay $1k more for 2x thicker granite in the kitchen or slider range would sit too high. They never installed the upgrade yet the range fit fine. Had to insist on a refund when I discovered the upgrade wasn't included. No apology from builder.

Brookfield sent their guy (a new hire) to my home 3 times to address the same deficiencies as patchwork was worse than the original issue. He didn't appreciate redoing the work and stole my Vise-Grip pliers and put a nail hole in my new range. Only comment from the builder was that they were offended that I even reported it. Going forward I scheduled to be present during deficiency work.

Last edited:
Has anyone read this article from the Star? Would developer add the metropass cost directly to the closing cost? If I don't need a metropass, as I walk to work, what do I do with it?

Robyn Doolittle
Urban Affairs Reporter
More about
Toronto City Council»
A controversial policy that requires builders purchase a year’s worth of Metropasses for new condo buyers may be the next tax nixed under the Ford administration.

Fed up with what they say is an unfair cash grab created to subsidize the TTC, developers say they will be pressuring Mayor Rob Ford to repeal it.

Since 2009, the TTC has collected $1,080,694 from builders buying Metropasses. And with the economy rebounding, the policy - which only applies to new buildings - is expected the generate even more funds for Toronto's cash-strapped transit system.

The industry will find support from TTC chair Karen Stintz, who says she never supported the policy when it passed council two years ago and she still doesn't.

Stephen Dupuis, president of the Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD), said builders are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on the passes even though buyers aren’t using them.

To warrant the $111 pass — which comes to the builders at a slightly discounted rate — a person would need to use the TTC 44 times a month to break even.

“We find the majority of condo owners also own cars and are content driving. Not all the time - but they don't make enough use of a Metropass,” Dupuis said.

That's the case at Tridel’s Grand Triomphe 2 project in North York, said Stephen Upton, vice president of development with Tridel.

“Right now, the mayor is busy with the budget. Once we get past that and he can get into the day-to-day stuff, we’ll be pushing to get rid of this policy. I’m hoping it’s by spring,” said Upton.

And while politicians may try to sell the “free” pass off as a perk for new owners, the buyers will inevitably be on the hook for the additional funds, said Brian Johnston, president of Monarch’s Canadian division.

“It really isn't free,” he said. “Any cost gets passed on to buyers. Politicians love to convince themselves it doesn’t, but it does. Developers are trying to make a return on their investment.”

Monarch isn't even promoting the Metropass deal in its marketing for the builder's latest project, Encore, at the Scarborough Town Centre.

“That’s not why people are buying highrise condominiums,” Johnston said. “It’s an awkward way to try to finance the TTC, in my view.”

City council approved the policy, which applies to all new buildings with 20 or more units along transit priority areas, in December 2009.

It officially came into effect last April, but developers facing pressure from councillors and bureaucrats began voluntarily purchasing them a year earlier.

At the time it went through council, transit-friendly councillors such as Howard Moscoe — who has since retired — predicted it would “cause people on transit lines to abandon their cars.”

Right-wingers, including then-councillor Ford, did not support the initiative.

During the campaign, Ford met with the BILD board twice. He seemed open to doing away with the policy, said Upton, who is also the board's vice chair.

Toronto's new TTC chair was also opposed to the plan back in 2009.

“I didn't think it was appropriate for the city... to ask a condo company to buy Metropasses,” Stintz said Friday, adding she is definitely interested in reopening the issue.

“That being said, we need to figure out ways that we can mutually benefit from the increased value and development opportunities when building on a subway line.”

Last edited:

Back