1.4K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 3.9K     4 

Why aren't people in rehab arrested?

• Thread starter Abeja de Almirante
  • Start date
A

Abeja de Almirante

An intentionally provacative title, but my thinking goes like this...

If someone were to admit publically, perhaps even on the media, that they'd stolen property, robbed banks, raped, assaulted or murdered people, etc.. I imagine the police would arrest them, based on their admission.

However, when we see celebrities or even commonfolk of television admitting to drug possession and use, they receive praise for entering rahab programs. However, if they'd been caught with the drugs they would have been arrested. So, if we have a public admission of illegal drug possession and usage, why aren't people in rehab arrested?

Just an idle thought while I should be cleaning the house and getting the kids ready for supper.

it's not drug use that's illegal, it's the possession of banned substances. if you don't possess them anymore, you can't be charged with anything.

And wouldn't arresting somebody for trying to kick something bad sort of discourage other people from kicking it?

people that are doing drugs are doing to themselves. when you murder or steal, you are doing to someone else.

I agree with everyone's comments here. It would also be a tremendous waste of resources... what purpose would it serve? There are better things my tax dollars can be used for.

All good reasons. As well, to be consistent, you'd have to arrest anybody who admitted to past illegal activities (people in AA admitting to driving drunk, people who admitted stealing something, etc.).

Even if you think it is good that we don't, in fact, arrest people who admit to past drug possession, you must admit that legal practice does seem inconsistent in this matter. If you think drug possession is bad enough that it ought to be illegal and incarcerable, then why should you not incarcerate people who admit to having done it?

Thus I see Abeja's point. But I would take the argument to be a kind of reductio ad absurdum against drug criminalization.

lets take it a step further!

one somebody tries to commit suicide but fail at killing themselves, lets give them the death penalty. that'll teach 'em!

If you think drug possession is bad enough that it ought to be illegal and incarcerable, then why should you not incarcerate people who admit to having done it?

wouldn't this require a life sentence? if the crime is having been a drug user in the past (rather than actually possessing drugs) then the day you are released from prison, you are a re-peat offender and should be arrested again. all of our best musicians would be locked up and the only things left would be christian rock and new country.

i can't think of single benefit to society of having the police shut down rehab clinics and cart everyone off to jail.

I agree with you, indense. My point is merely that the law is inconsistent in this regard.

I bet 1/2 those Christian acts are actualy closted gay pot smokers.

Christian-Rock star Michael W. Smith admitted on CNN's "Larry King Live" that he was a drug addict before making it big and collaborating with Amy Grant.

American jails are already overcrowded. the criminal justice system is overburdened and I believe it has over 2 million persons either in jail, house arrest, parole, or probation. Much of this is the result of America's zero-tolerance drug policy, with mandatory sentencing for crack possession in the federal courts. If anything, the U.S. needs to look at ways to treat its drug epidemic in ways that don't involve the criminal justice system.

Generally speaking, the "rules" of sentencing are rarely applied to celebrities such as musicians, actors, athletes. They often get treatment, a warning, probation, or a sentence to provide community service; few ever go to jail for any meaningful time.

nothing you did in the past matters as long as you say you've found jesus - it's all washed away like so many DUI convictions - just ask bush.

Catholics have the better deal with confession. How many times can you find jesus again....but confession is weekly. It's why the catholic cities are more fun.

Back