News   Jul 30, 2024
 977     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 660     0 

Whose vision of transit in Toronto do you support?

Whose vision of transit in Toronto do you support?

• Total voters
AFAIK York region residents aren't being charged a double fare on the subways going to their region.
Which is primarily because there are no subways to York Region. There's been no information yet on what the fare structure would be for travelling on the subway north of Steeles. Presumably it would be the same as travelling across Steels on the existing TTC bus on Jane. In a similiar manner, when the Montreal Metro was expanded into Laval recently, extra fares are required.

No nfitz, it is the one-fare to ride throughout the entire subway system. However, if transferring from a YRT bus in Vaughan onto the subway you cannot use your YRT transfer to gain free access to the subway. You'd have the pay the TTC fare to board same as at Islington, Finch and Don Mills today.

No nfitz, it is the one-fare to ride throughout the entire subway system. However, if transferring from a YRT bus in Vaughan onto the subway you cannot use your YRT transfer to gain free access to the subway. You'd have the pay the TTC fare to board same as at Islington, Finch and Don Mills today.
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. My point was that there is no extra charge on the subway to York Region ... because it doesn't exist. TTC buses that run into York Region charge extra fares.

Subway to Mississauga versus subway to STC

I made measurements using map.toronto.ca, and got this:
Square One to Bloor / St George: 21.2 km
Scarborough Centre to Bloor / Yonge: 15.7 km

So, Square One is notably more distant. Of course, both subway lines do not / would not run on a straight line and would be somewhat longer, but I don't think this affects STC subway more than Sq One subway.

Before going for Sq One subway, I would examine the possibility of running a 10-min or 15-min GO service on the Galt sub. If that is feasible, I would study a tunneled diversion that branches off Galt sub somewhere north of Dundas (near Mississauga Valley Blvd), runs diagonally to the street grid, and makes stops at Hurontario, Burnhamthorpe, Sq1, and Mavis. Then, continues along Hwy 403 and re-merges into the Galt sub north of the Erindale station.

If that is doable, I can see a couple of advantages over Sq One subway:

1) Speed of connection to Toronto's downtown. With subway, it would take about 40 min from Sq1 to St George, plus additional 8-10 minutes for the trip south to CBD. With GO, it will take 27-30 minutes to get to Union, many CBD destinations being at walking distance, and others at 2-3 min subway ride.

2) Subway would terminate at Sq One, whereas GO service can continue into north-western Mississauga using the existing tracks north of Erindale.

Last edited:
Don Mills LRT: That is one of the things we're debating, which is extending the DMLRT up to Steeles. My only concern is that that section will need to be designed to allow VIVA buses to use the same lanes to go to Don Mills station.

For someone who is unfamiliar with SOS plans and just sees your map for the first time, this short Don Mills LRT will look very strange. Especially given that the VIVA route, which caused the truncation of Don Mills LRT, is not shown in the map.

Even if you explain the VIVA concerns in the text, two more questions will arise:

1) Ridership of the TTC's Don Mills bus (frequent service, < 10 min in peak hours) greatly exceeds that of VIVA Green (runs during peak hours only, every 15 min, and lightly used even then). So, why cripple Toronto's transit plans for the sake of that, relatively minor, VIVA route?

2) If, on the other hand, that VIVA bus route is deemed so important, then why not build a continuous BRT on Don Mills instead of LRT, and let VIVA Green be extended to the DRL East terminus?

There is a plan to put in a BRT Light (queue jump lanes, signal priority, etc) along Neilson from MTC to the 401, where it will use the 401 BRT into STC. It wasn't put on the map because it is not true BRT. It will be mentioned in the report though.

How about a thin line, or a dashed line, which shows Neilson's "BRT Light"?

I appreciate that there might be quite a few "BRT light" branches off 401 BRT or Kipling BRT, and showing all of them would clutter the map. However, since the service to Malvern Centre is one of TC's priorities and your are presenting an alternative to TC, perhaps showing just this "BRT light" branch might be useful.

Plus, that would close the visual gap between STC and Sheppard on your map.

How is the ONLY reason to integrate with "western Toronto"? That makes no sense. Do Scarberians only travel to "eastern Toronto"? Why is Mississauga being held to a different standard than Scarborough or Vaughan? I haven't heard anyone say that Vaughanites or Scarberians are only allowed to travel so far and not all the way downtown. This line of reasoning is frankly ridiculous.

Like I pointed out, it's because of the fare differences. When I get on a bus and pay a token, I expect to have the same level of service whether I live in Etobicoke or North York or Scarborough. That's why Scarborough is offered more services. Like it or not this is reality. Scarborough is part of the City of Toronto. Mississauga is not. Scarborough residents pay taxes that support the TTC and as such they expect a certain level of service. Mississauga residents have no such claim at this time.

Operationally, this reality also leads to huge differences. Scarborough residents don't use GO to access downtown. In fact, GO's fare structure specifically discourages travel inside the 416 on GO. GO stations aren't conveniently located, there is no fare or service integration. This leaves Scarborough residents with only the TTC. This is not the case for Mississauga. And if this is not the case, then what's the point of a subway? Mississauga residents already have an excellent way of getting to downtown Toronto. So a subway extension only makes sense for medium distance travel inside Mississauga or to western Toronto.

And by the way, Vaughan is not being held to the same standard as Scarborough, they'll be paying a different fare for their bus service and then paying the TTC fare for their subway ride.

As someone from Scarborough who lives in Ottawa, what exactly makes you an expert on what Mississauga needs? I could just as easily turn to the LRTista argument that long distance commuters (i.e. Scarborough and Mississauga) should use GO instead of subways, which is why STC and MCC should never get subways.

If you are going to persist with this argument, then tell us why we should take into account your views on any transit project inside the 416 and why your opinions on the SELRT or Scarborough RT should hold any water? Given the fact that I spent 12 years in Malvern, lived there as recently as 4 years ago, have all my immediate family within a 6km radius of MTC, probably still spend more time and money inside the 416 than you and the fact that the government considers all Canadian Forces personnel to be resident at their place of enrollment (which means I vote in Malvern), that should afford me enough credibility to speak out about my community, whether I am there at the moment or not.

Furthermore, an extension to Sherway is just that: an extension to Sherway. I've said it before and so has either doady or drum, MT buses would not be using Sherway except the ONE bus that already goes there (which runs maybe once an hour). An East Mall/Cloverdale stop would be used, but they're already building an MT terminal at Kipling anyway and that'll help compared to now since MT buses go all the way to Islington there's another logic fail).

I never said Sherway should be the only connection to Mississauga. I said Mississauga's future network needs better plug-ins to the TTC. Sherway is just one part of the solution.

The analogy to Scarborough is not flawed. If there was a subway in Mississauga, why and how would they pay two fares? That would be ridiculous. AFAIK York region residents aren't being charged a double fare on the subways going to their region.

They are. That was already announced. It was part of the deal. They will be paying YRT/VIVA fares to get to the station and then a TTC fare to ride the subway. And their taxpayers will be paying a top-up for the operational expenses the TTC is incurring for extensions past Steeles. Would taxpayers and riders in Mississauga agree to double fares and tax increases just for a subway to run downtown?

In the case of York region, the voters only agree because southern York regions is fairly well integrated with northern Toronto. That said, the Sorbara subway does not necessarily make sense. But at least it's not a far reach beyond the 416 (and as Scarberian pointed out Toronto had to agree to it to get the York subway extension). Ditto for a Yonge extension to Hwy 7. Any subway to Square One on the other hand is quite a stretch beyond Toronto's borders. And would present a very high burden for Mississauga residents. I am not convinced that Mississauga voters would necessarily agree to the bill they would have foot for such a subway extension. If they are willing to pay for it, then that's a different story. That's why it's tentative in the SOS plan.

And FYI the people who would take GO are already taking GO. Most GO stations in Mississauga have pretty good off-peak train-bus service.

So then where's the demand for a subway? It's the exact same reason Scarborough isn't getting better GO service. We already take the TTC. If Mississaugans are already taking GO, who's going to ride the subway?

If Mississauga or any region signed on to pay part of the operating expenses of running a subway somewhere, I'm sure they'd abide by their agreement to pay them. Governments can't just decide they want to get out of an agreement they made like that.

Whether they'll sign on is the question. Mississauga is not in the same boat as York region. As far as SOS goes that's why any subway plans to Mississauga have to remain fully tentative. Nothing can or should be offered beyond Sherway. If and when, Mississauga decides to join the party then they can negotiate a York style agreement. Till then, an extension to Sherway should not be held hostage by the distant potential of a subway to Mississauga.

As far as fares go, I'd expect that when all is said and done Metrolinx & the TTC will adopt some sort of fare-by-distance model. Once PRESTO is implemented, it will be a lot easier to do this. I bet it'll be region-wide too. The days of someone being able to travel from one corner of the city to another on one fare will be over, but there will be a ton of other benefits.

Last edited:
As far as fares go, I'd expect that when all is said and done Metrolinx & the TTC will adopt some sort of fare-by-distance model. Once PRESTO is implemented, it will be a lot easier to do this. I bet it'll be region-wide too. The days of someone being able to travel from one corner of the city to another on one fare will be over, but there will be a ton of other benefits.
Far easier said than done. How are they going to explain fare by distance to Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke residents who support te TTC with their taxes. One option is for the TTC to charge a premium outside the 416 like they do today.

I lived most of my life in Vancouver, where I got hooked on transit, and they have a zone system for fares. I lived downtown in the west end so I would by a fare card for zone one, much cheaper then Toronto's blanket card which covers all of the 416. Some days I would have to travel to Burnaby, which is comparable to Scarborough and I would have to pay extra fare for the extra zone. I live in Scarborough now and I would pay the same for a monthly pass now, which could be a 2 zone pass. The people who live downtown, who use transit more frequently then we Scarberians could have a little cheaper transit pass because they are not using the system for the long haul trips as much. If they do end up adopting the zone system Mississauga, York Region and Durham Region could all be zone 3; zone 2 could comprise of Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke; and zone one would be the central part of Toronto.

I am not sure how to calculate the fare for someone like me who is in Scarborough and wanted to go to Square One; I am sure they could figure out some fair way for us to pay our fares on a scale for distance. I think a system like this might even help increase ridership.

I live in Scarborough now and I would pay the same for a monthly pass now, which could be a 2 zone pass. The people who live downtown, who use transit more frequently then we Scarberians could have a little cheaper transit pass because they are not using the system for the long haul trips as much.
If those in what would be Zone 1 pay less than now, and those who live in Zone 2 pay the same as now, then it wouldn't be revenue neutral. In that kind of scheme, those in Zone 2 would have to have an increase. And those in zone 3 already pay more now ...

Not that I disagree with this ... I think this is where we are headed.

I am fairly new to Ontario but I remember something called the Presto Card being introduced, what kind of fair structure does it incorporate?

I think this is where we are headed.

Not quite yet. Keep in mind that there's way more residents living in the suburbs than there are in the core. And you can bet they won't take too kindly to any suggestion that they pay higher rates for the most important trip of the day for them: their downtown commute. This is especially true when they are paying taxes to support the TTC. If they do accept it you can bet they'll ask for the same type of raPid transit quality and coverage that downtowners get. The only way this is happening is if the population in the core increases dramatically or if the tax bill for the TTC is taken over by Metrolinx.

It'll definitely be part of a larger shift that sees Metrolinx take a larger role in service delivery. If the directive comes from that agency it means no one has to take the fall politically.

I see it as unavoidable - most other large transit system have some kind of fare-by-distance scheme. If things continue as they are, the TTC's primary purpose of local travel becomes ridiculously overpriced. $3 to take the subway from Queen to Bloor already seems crazy.

Phasing in fare-by-distance alongside a timed transfer system (say 2 hours?) would make it more palatable as well. I'd support that move.

I am fairly new to Ontario but I remember something called the Presto Card being introduced, what kind of fair structure does it incorporate?
It is being rolled out slowly. There's a thread on it at http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?4286-Presto-GTA-Fare-Card

Essentially every transit agency can set their own fare structure. There's no interagency passes yet (and there won't be for years, as it will be likely 3-5 years before TTC is fully done), but the card can apparently handle up to 3 different passes, which should start becoming available this fall.

GO Transit's current Presto fares are here: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/prestofares.aspx (it's only available on trips that both start and end at Bronte, Oakville, or Union). As far as I know if you use Presto in TTC's only location at Union station you pay the token rate of $2.50. And Oakville Transit's current fares are listed at http://www.oakvilletransit.com/prestofaq.htm

It's not currently in use anywhere else apart from the current test, but it's supposed to be rolled out for the Lakeshore West, Milton, and Georgetown GO lines this Spring along with Oakville Transit, Burlington Transit, and 6 more TTC subway stations (Bloor/Yonge, College, Dundas, Queen’s Park, St. George, and St. Patrick).

Back