News   Mar 28, 2024
 890     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 521     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 827     0 

Whitney Block

Re: Camera Obscura

Yes, but that's impractical since it would destroy the appearance of the building.

What if it were "architecturally" conceived? And I don't mean in the pastiche sense, either. (And the implication in the article being that it would be on the "away" side, t/w Macdonald Block.)

If it were on the east side (as the story also suggests) a staircase may not be "that" bad visually.

It a shame that such a beautiful historic building is left in such a state of dis-repair. Maybe they should consider something bold for the tower. Build the needed stairs outside and then incase the whole building in a transparent clear glass box. I'm sure a Foster or Calatrava could come up with something quite beautiful. Imagine coming north along Queens Park Circle at dusk and seeing this beautifully lite stone building under a transparent glass box. It would become an instant landmark. I know, crazy idea, but its better than screwing fire escape stairs to the side of it. And its better than not using it and letting it crumble away.

[1] The building itself is not in disrepair (in fact, it's been under restoration for some time now); it's just the tower part that's in mothballs.

[2] Rather than encasing the whole thing in a transparent glass box, why not simply turn the "screwed-on" fire stairs into a transparent glass shaft, or a neo-constructivist "construction", or something like it? Less "spectacular", but maybe better off for it...

Why bother with expensive alterations for the sake of obtaining a relatively small amount of office space? I suspect it would be uneconomic. The building is an attractive one, and no one is suggesting tearing it down, so it might make most sense to just continue to use the lower levels and leave the tower part vacant.

Interestingly, the year it was vacated (1968) was the year the Macdonald Block next door was dedicated.

Archival storage, perhaps?

I suspect some future Premier might want his/her office up the tower portion. Perhaps that day, we'll see the tower back in use.

And re the current premier; yeah, like I trust a Norman Bates looking feller up there. He might get his gun for a little sniper fire or something

Whether it's being used or not, it would be nice to get some tasteful floodlighting action going to illuminate the structure at night (for example, I would model the lighting on that featured by the ROM Weston Wing). As it stands right now, the building appears to vanish after dusk.

Last edited:
Anyone know the asking price of the building?

As far as I'm aware the complex is nearly 100% leased, so I don't think this is being sold (yes, you can sell a 100% leased building though ...) who owns the buildings though?

They're entirely government use but I'm not sure if they own them as well

ps - it would be great if someone could get some pictures of the revitalized square at the base!

Back