News   Jul 26, 2024
 799     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.7K     3 

While Toronto fought like kids on the playground, Los Angeles got serious.

Let me guess: all these are located in white neighbourhoods?

That's completely wrong. On the contrary, rich white neighbourhoods in LA, such as Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Santa Monica, West Hollywood etc don't have any subways because these people have always being fighting AGAINST it. If you take a look at the subway map in LA, you will immediately find the system doesn't go to the rich west side at all.

http://latravelbug.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/metromapla.gif

Would have to research it further, but I think the very densest parts of LA may have similar densities as Scarboro .. but there are also some very less dense areas in LA metro. It is a huge huge sprawling region.

that's far from the truth. LA looks extremely sparse because the math is done on a huge landmass, including the mountains and valleys where hardly anyone lives. This is why the density of LA is always underestimated.
http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/
Take a look at the map, the northern part is mostly forest/mountains, which covers more than half of LA's land. Of course LA looks very spreadout on paper.

Density, let's talk about it.

Central LA: population 840K on 58 sq miles, density: 15,000/sq miles
West side LA: population 530K, land: 100 sq miles, density: 5300/sq miles
South LA: population 750, land 51 sq miles, density 14671/sq miles

The desirable West side looks low because it covers a large green area of mountains/forest including part of a state park. Otherwise, it will be much higher.
http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/region/westside/

some densest areas: Palms in west LA has a density of 21870/sq m, Korean Town: 42600/sq m, westlake: 38214, East Hollywood 31095, All these are 2000 numbers. 2012 numbers can be significantly higher as total LA population increases significantly.

In comparison, Scarborough has a density of 8,187, Etobicoke: 7,066, they are similar to LA's suburbs such as the southeast - downey, Norfolk, Montebello etc (8,189), Even old Toronto is only at 19,642, only at par with central LA.

" the very densest parts of LA may have similar densities as Scarboro"??? This is how ignorant one can be about LA. You obviously have no idea what LA is like and just imagine it to be a huge wasteland where buildings are a mile apart from each other.

Last edited:
For those who absolutely have no idea what LA is like and have always imagined it to be a huge empty land of few people, I recommend reading this
http://www.uctc.net/access/37/access37_sprawl.shtml

Los Angeles is a myth as it is both quite dense (not less so than Toronto in reality) and sprawling. "Part of the answer lies in the vagaries of Census geography. Sprawl is a regional attribute, so when observers point out that LA is denser than New York, they are not talking about the cities of Los Angeles and New York. Rather they are talking about the urbanized area, which is essentially the combined area of the cities and their suburbs. The other part of the answer is that density by itself—the simple ratio of population to square mile—is not a very useful way to measure sprawl. What matters is the distribution of density, or how evenly or unevenly an area's population is spread out across its geographic area. If we look at the density distribution in Los Angeles, we notice that its suburbs are much denser than those of other large U.S. cities, such as New York, San Francisco or Chicago. These high-density suburbs compensate for the comparatively low density of LA's urban core, and, in so doing, increase the average density of the area as a whole. In other words, Los Angeles has both a relatively high density and a relatively even distribution of density throughout its urbanized area".

As you can see from the table, if only measure the city centre, New York is 8 times more dense than LA; but if measured the metro area, LA is actually denser than New York, San Fran and Chicago, and most likely Toronto as well.

Nit picking, I know, but LA's downtown actually has 418,000 jobs. That's down from 605,000 in 1995. Of course, that's a far smaller proportion of regional employment than Toronto and those 400,000 jobs are pretty much single-handedly sustaining its mass transit system.

Density is almost meaningless in determining how many people will ride transit. Downtown employment has a far stronger correlation with transit ridership. That's because transit works best on a hub-and-spoke basis. Toronto's subway acts as the hub from which frequent bus routes radiate. Most American cities haven't figured that out, and they either operate feeble suburban bus networks or don't even bother orienting them to their rapid transit lines. Worse still, some actually charge you extra to transfer between bus and rapid transit.

In some ways, I think Los Angeles' problems preceded the interstates. The vaunted Pacific Electric system of interurbans encouraged a much less concentrated form of development than the subway lines being built on the east coast. Once the car arrived and the interurbans were increasingly stuck in traffic and unable to compete with expressways, the transit system collapsed completely. In the eastern cities, the subways always retained a reasonable ridership even through transit's nadir.

I think a big part of the difference in transit development in the East and West right now is the cost of building infrastructure. The planned LA subway extensions are less than half the cost per kilometre of the Second Avenue Subway. Likewise, the Canada Line was less than half the price per kilometre of Toronto's Eglinton line, and it's fully grade-separated.
How do you get all those job statistics by neighborhoods. I'd like to see them.

This is fair, but you are saying is what almost everyone else has said. If we extended the sheppard line to STC it would be ridden more. Well why not extend the Bloor line to Malvern Town Centre, which would actually come closer to Downtown. Regardless of the tech it will still be atleast on transfer from fairview to STC.

This makes no sense and you didn't read my post (though you quoted it). Oh, and extending both Sheppard and Danforth to STC would eliminate tens of thousands of daily transfers, but extending it to Malvern Town Centre would be ridiculous - there's no people and nothing there.

I'm saying that comparing the density of entire cities is irrelevant. It tells you nothing about the potential success of transit lines in specific places, which is the real issue. Density is just a metric used to oversimplify transit planning for the sake of politicians and executives unfamiliar with the neighbourhoods in question, with statistics and numbers, and/or with transit technology and operations. The only practical application of raw density in transit planning is probably gauging the viability of local bus routes in a residential area based on their catchment areas.

For instance, if Sheppard was extended to Consumers, Agincourt, STC, then to Centennial, Cententary, and UTSC, you'd be hitting concentrations of people beyond what you'd get in pretty much every other city in North America unless it's their main drag. Don Mills, Hurontario, maybe even Hwy 7 once more development occurs, they're all similar. In Asia or Europe, you might have corridors where at almost every station is a cluster of thousands of apartments, a cluster of 10,000 jobs, a regional mall, college campus, hospital, etc....but all this would have been developed with or after the transit line.

LA doesn't have corridors like this other than Wilshire (and if another corridor does have a string of jobs/schools/malls, the clusters of people are not a steady 1-2km apart *with* tremendously busy feeder routes nearby *and* seeing continuous redevelopment and intensification). LA is doing several things we're not doing aside from the institutional management/innovation issues. It's acknowledging context. LA isn't ignoring most of its busiest corridors so that it can run so-called European-style light rail out to a few places with moderate numbers of racialized persons of low income. If LA had corridors like Hurontario, Don Mills, the Stouffville GO line, Bathurst, etc., they'd have already built something on the spectrum of BRT/LRT/subway/commuter rail on each of these, or they'd at least be planning to. LA wouldn't adopt an official plan and then immediately propose a transit scheme completely counter to its goals. No Western city would. Hell, I don't think any Eastern city would either.

I think that Western Canadian and American cities benefit from the following things wrt transit:

1. Metropolitan regions largely within the boundaries of one or two physically large counties. This allows for a regionally integrated transit system to naturally develop, avoiding fiefdoms of little, local transit operators.

2. Largely postwar development meant that cities could plan growth according to the postwar concept of comprehensive development. Planning was not really much of a field, outside of landscaping and design, before WW2.

3. No labour union-mafia-Democratic party machine nexus. Okay, this is sort of an American phenomenon, but it applies to an extent to cities like Montreal, if not Toronto. Back in the 1910s and 1920s, poor immigrant groups in the US climbed the social ladder by forming labour unions and organized crime syndicates and by electing members of their group to office through the Democratic party. While this certainly raised the standard of living of poor, landed immigrants, it also laid the foundation for massive corruption and appointments to key public sector positions based on nothing but patronage. Even though these groups don't really exist anymore, this managerial "style" and way of doing business persists in Eastern cities.

4. No old boys clubs. Similar to (3), only advocating for different groups in these same, eastern cities. Similar effects.

I should mention that it really depends on the time when the city was settled, rather than where it is on the continent. San Francisco suffers from a lot of (1), (2) and (3), probably because it is as old and established as cities on the Northeast. Not surprisingly, their municipal transit operator is godawful for all the reasons we've mentioned.

No, I agree, but it's the exceptions that I find interesting. Indianapolis is, spatially, tailor-made for commuter transit lines since it's surrounded by a ring of 8 counties, each of which has grown massively in the post-war period and each of which could be served by a separate radial transit line. It's also seen serious reinvestment and isn't the rotten husk of a city that other Eastern cities are. Jacksonville is also a post-war creature and not municipally-fractured. Charlotte/Raleigh/North Carolina's decades behind what one might expect them to have. The mafia has certainly been present in the West...and Vegas doesn't have much in the way of transit (coincidence?). Then there's the time aspect...a city like Edmonton hasn't seen much transit innovation in the past 30 years, whereas Toronto was still forward-thinking back then before it all fell apart in the '80s/'90s.

What matters is that LA is improving its transit service while the TTC has, until very recently, shuffled its feet. While we might joke about how LA only has 154,000 light rail riders, 25 years ago they had exactly zero rapid transit riders, while 25 years ago the TTC's ridership was comparable to what it is today.

The ridership of LACMTA was higher 25 years ago than it is today. In 1985, the LACMTA had a ridership of 497 million unlinked trips. In 2011, it had a ridership of 457 million unlinked trips.

I love how the TTC and many other ramble on about how "expensive" SkyTrain is but still seems to cost a fraction of Toronto's grade separated systems. It's ridiculous how a tiny 6 km SkyTrain line transfer to LRT and 2 new km LRT expansion is going to cost $1.2 billion and take 4 years yet Vancouver's new 11km totally new grade separated 11km Evergreen SkyTrain line with a 1 km tunnel is going to cost $1.4 billion and take 20 months.
Honestly, a big 8km subway extention in the burbs is going to cost $2.8 billion.

Two corrections here:
1. The tunnel portion is actually 2.2km, which is about 20% of the route. The other 30% is at-grade and 50% is elevated.
2. The construction will begin summer of 2012 and will last until summer of 2016.. that's 48 months.

LA certainly has a way to go but they are progressing at a truly amazing speed. In 20 years LA's system will be far more extensive than Toronto's fue to Toronto's complete inertia and Los Angelos acknowledgement that building rapid transit means getting your citizens to contribute towards it.
The people of LA, by their continual plebisites agreeing to sales/gas taxes levies to pay for transit expansion, simply want a city based on transit more than does Toronto. The choice is clear........if you want a city based on transit then it comes with a price while letting a transit system go into cruise control is cheap. Torontonians {both the city and citizens} have shown again and again that they are willing to let their transit system stagnate. Toronto's complete lack of responsibility for having to fund any transit speaks volumes, transit is nice but only if it doesn't interfere with my low gas prices.

The ridership of LACMTA was higher 25 years ago than it is today. In 1985, the LACMTA had a ridership of 497 million unlinked trips. In 2011, it had a ridership of 457 million unlinked trips.

My guess would be that's because of the decrease in downtown employment.

I think there are two separate idea threads here:

1) The idea that we have something to learn from LA. Absolutely we do! This has nothing to do with LA transit sucking or being amazing. There are many issues we could learn from. Dedicated funding and taking charge regionally for the cost of transit. I think at minimum the City of Toronto should find a way to generate 250 million dollars per year of dedicated transit revenue to go towards incremental transit expansion. This is not a lot of money. It could easily be raised by emulating conventional means from other city regions. Over 25 years of doddling we could have raised 6.25 billion dollars ourselves without the province.

2) The idea that Toronto sucks while LA is forging ahead. I think this belies the reality on the ground. the article mentions LA looking at 40 billion dollars of expansion over 30 years. For a metro region of their size this is no more than our present level of expansion during an era we claim is disfunctional. This opinion can only be described as political in nature on behalf of the author. Both cities are expanding multiple formats of transit including subway and LRT as we speak. Toronto is also starting from a more advanced position and densifying at a rate unmatched in North America.

Apparently Toronto increasingly consider LA as a role model when it comes to transit, since both cities have the same nightmare.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...dvice-for-toronto-politicians/article2404445/

trickyricky, you can't simply compare the $$$ investment, you need to look at how much system was added and is expected to be added, as that's what matters to transit riders, and in that aspect, LA is doing far better. Toronto did start from a more advanced position, but that was in the 80's and hardly any significant improvement since then. Unmatched in North America? How come we don't see it? You mean the token payment that is unmatched in North America?

Again, I'd like to say that Toronto in general is no more dense than Los Angeles. We have a denser downtown but our suburbs are much less dense compared to LA.

For the sake of apples to apples comparison Toronto isn't just TTC or on that matter, subways. There has been significant capacity and ridership increases in both in GO (regional bus/rail) and municipal/regional transit system in the 905.

AoD

For the sake of apples to apples comparison Toronto isn't just TTC or on that matter, subways. There has been significant capacity and ridership increases in both in GO (regional bus/rail) and municipal/regional transit system in the 905.

AoD

I don't think GO as a commuter train is as relevant as the TTC, the real public transit. It mostly serves people who don't live in Toronto, right?
When it comes to public transit, it is RAPID transit that matters. Toronto has a lot of buses but obviously that doesn't solve half of the problem. A subway can move probably more than 10X people a bus does at a fraction of the time. It is time for Toronto to realize that for a city of its size, buses and streetcars are far from enough.

I don't think GO as a commuter train is as relevant as the TTC, the real public transit. It mostly serves people who don't live in Toronto, right?
When it comes to public transit, it is RAPID transit that matters. Toronto has a lot of buses but obviously that doesn't solve half of the problem. A subway can move probably more than 10X people a bus does at a fraction of the time. It is time for Toronto to realize that for a city of its size, buses and streetcars are far from enough.

GO is way more "RAPID" than TTC. Honestly I avoid the TTC (and MT for that matter), but I have no qualms taking GO.

There is a lot of noisy clutter in this story. Cut through it and you will read the key message: we imposed a .05% sales tax that raised $40 billion and built what we needed.

The rest if fluff and motherhood. There it is everyone: if you want transit (and you should), then it costs money. So grow up and pay the piper.

Pay the piper, Amen.

Back