News   May 02, 2024
 176     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 414     0 

Where in the world would you live?

Out of the cities London, Paris, Bruxelles, Madrid and Berlin; Berlin is really the nicest for young people.. shops/nightlife/people/city/etcetera.

I'd go for that if I didn't think Zurich was better.

Well, look at that! Another Dutchman :)
I agree that Berlin is the best place to live for young people, out of all the cities you mentioned. Zurich doesn't really appeal to me, even though it keeps being ranked as one of the world's best places to live, somehow I have this image of Zurich as one of Europe's most conservative cities.

havent done enough travelling to make a definitive list, but just off the top of my head...

1. Toronto - love the neighbourhoods and the local culture! I think Toronto is on the verge of greatness and the next 15 - 20 years will be very exciting. All the infill happening downtown, exciting new architecture, the waterfront reclamation... all heading in the right direction.

2. San Francisco - beautiful architecture, densely built, temperate climate, great location. Contrary to some other negative comments on here, SF is very rebellious and often disregards national directives... example - i.d. cards for illegal immigrants, civic health care program... very progressive. I found the vibe here to be very pleasing and I felt just as comfortable walking the streets there as I do in T.O.

3. Singapore - even with all the government censorship and harsh laws. I love the tropical location, fantastic mix of old and new architecture, immaculately clean streets, world class cuisine. What are the chances of the US invading and repealing the chewing gum laws? The chewing gum industry must be a big lobby in the States, no?

As for London, it was a cool place to visit, but I just found the traffic and crowds and the underground just too stressful. The pace and rush of things there was just too much to feel comfortable living there. Though the megacity scale would offer endless opportunities for exploring....

havent done enough travelling to make a definitive list, but just off the top of my head...
As for London, it was a cool place to visit, but I just found the traffic and crowds and the underground just too stressful. The pace and rush of things there was just too much to feel comfortable living there. Though the megacity scale would offer endless opportunities for exploring....

Hey, did you just copy mine thought??

Just came back from London. Love London...love to visit...but, no way in hell I will live there. Too stressful. Tube is good, but too crowded and it's a tall order just to transfer from one line to another line...freak, some station requires you to walk 5000 miles to connect to another line...

Uh, er, there are. Ann Arbor, San Francisco (I could actually think of a few California cities). Maybe Portland, OR. New York doesn't count as its "downtown" isn't lively after work. That's about it.

Chicago's not bad, but it's only quasi Liberal.

I'd want a US cities that more than just the downtown is lively and walkable. I want a US city that I could be comfortable walking just about anywhere. Chicago wouldn't make that qualification.

Oh there are loads of college towns that would fit that description, from Lawrence, Kansas to Burlington, Vermont. The latter has an amazingly vibrant downtown, with a successful pedestrian mall, a major department store, and a whole bunch of restaurants. American students don't seem to be as enamored of the all-Irish-pub-all-the-time school of going out.

I love American college towns (there are some that are lively, like Ann Arbor, I was hoping to go to Burlington, but didn't, and it looks nice) but most aren't real "cities". Burlington and Ann Arbor come the closest to my ideal.

Ontario (or even Canada for that matter, outside of Nova Scotia or New Brunswick) doesn't have real college towns, Guelph and Kingston probably the closest things to them, Kingston in particular (and it has some nice restaurants and things besides British/Irish pubs).

The unedited list:

In North America
  • Colorado - especially in its Rocky Mountain areas, or in and around either Pueblo or Denver
  • Palo Alto / San Francisco, Bay Area of California
  • Santa Barbara, California
  • Asheville, North Carolina (the ancient mountains, the Blue Ridge Parkway)
  • Vancouver and/or coastal BC
  • Big City USA east of the Mississippi: NYC or Chicago only
In Asia
  • Hong Kong (a cuisine that could compete with any in the world, and one of the great skylines - BUT current political trends may nix this quickly)

Pacific Islands:
  • Hawaii (although part of USA obviously not in North America)

In Europe
  • London, UK
  • France - especially Paris and/or anywhere on the French Riviera's Côte d'Azur
  • Rome and environs

In South America
  • Coastal areas in Brazil - especially Recife or Rio de Janiero

In Australia et. al.
  • Sydney, Australia (a place often overlooked but anyone who visits it knows better than to do that)
  • Someplace in New Zealand near the water

In Africa
  • Tanzania, near the coast (has weather like Southern California)
  • (I wish I could list Uganda/Kenya but great social and political turmoil prevents it)

If I could re-roll the dice? Tokyo! In Japan there are a lot fewer men than women now!

Back