News   Mar 28, 2024
 478     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 321     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 332     0 

What's the future for the NDP?

It reminds me of when the CPC was going to lose in 2015 and a bunch of their MP's suddenly decided to leave politics. I don't dislike Jagmeet as a person, but under his leadership, the NDP will be lucky to retain official party status.

Last edited:
It reminds me of when the CPC was going to lose in 2015 and a bunch of their MP's suddenly decided to leave politics. I don't dislike Jagmeet as a person, but under his leadership, the NDP will be lucky to to retain official party status.
If life were fair it should be the Liberals flirting with losing official party status.

I expect when push comes to shove, enough progressive voters will leave the Liberals. Will they go NDP, will they go Green. I think this could be quite volatile.
2015 was similar. Mulcair campaigned with smart and reasonable policies, while the rest of the party was a far left joke. The Liberals were similar with Trudeau embarrassing himself at almost every step of the way, but the narrative had been written in the media that Harper must be defeated, so the naive electorate were led over to the Liberals at the expense of the NDP.

It reminds me of when the CPC was going to lose in 2015 and a bunch of their MP's suddenly decided to leave politics. I don't dislike Jagmeet as a person, but under his leadership, the NDP will be lucky to to retain official party status.

And again, I'm not so sure about that. Particularly given how many of said MPs are getting on in years (Christopherson, Rankin, Mathyssen) or are from Quebec, which is a bit of a special case.

Somehow, it still feels like now that Jagmeet's in Parliament, the bleeding's stopped--or at least they're not facing an Audrey situation, or Alexa at worst...

If life were fair it should be the Liberals flirting with losing official party status.

I expect when push comes to shove, enough progressive voters will leave the Liberals. Will they go NDP, will they go Green. I think this could be quite volatile.
2015 was similar. Mulcair campaigned with smart and reasonable policies, while the rest of the party was a far left joke. The Liberals were similar with Trudeau embarrassing himself at almost every step of the way, but the narrative had been written in the media that Harper must be defeated, so the naive electorate were led over to the Liberals at the expense of the NDP.

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man" - The Dude

And again, I'm not so sure about that. Particularly given how many of said MPs are getting on in years (Christopherson, Rankin, Mathyssen) or are from Quebec, which is a bit of a special case.

Somehow, it still feels like now that Jagmeet's in Parliament, the bleeding's stopped--or at least they're not facing an Audrey situation, or Alexa at worst...

To put it mildly, Singh is not good for retaining NDP seats in Quebec. Perhaps BC will be a good place for the party though. I just can't see Niki Ashton winning for some reason.

Last edited:
The NDP were a non-factor in the PEI election.

To be fair, nobody expected them to be otherwise, particularly w/the Greens sucking up the necessary left-energy there. But PEI isn't exactly an absolute electoral benchmark for the country at large. (In fact, I was more surprised by how the NDP nearly won a seat *anyway*--even if it was Dr. Herb Dickieson, who actually *does* have a legislative record as PEI's only NDP MLA ever)

The NDP has abandoned a lot of their traditional suppot base infavor of a more urban view on the world. I think they will slowly lose there rural support, which is a big deal in our voting system.

The NDP has abandoned a lot of their traditional suppot base infavor of a more urban view on the world. I think they will slowly lose there rural support, which is a big deal in our voting system.

As manufacturing and industrial enterprise slowly but surely is getting either outsourced overseas or robotized, the need for a political party specifically tailoring to the needs of unionized blue-collar teamsters is fading into irrelevancy.

Yes they are losing me. (A 20 year and card carrying NDP supporter) I volunteered last provincial election for the NDP. Some of the SJW antics i saw from some its members really turned me off.

I remember my dad taking me to NDP BBQ's and the event was full of working class construction/factory workers. A lot of those types of workers today vote Conservative/PC. Which is the worst party to vote for if you're a blue collard worker.

Some of the SJW antics i saw from some its members really turned me off.
This is where the NDP has lost itself, and the Greens have 'found reason'. Gone in the Greens are the 'altruists to the point of intoxication' and in their stead, very pragmatic and *business like* persons like Mike Schreiner have emerged. I must admit to marginalizing the Greens until Schreiner commanded my attention. His pitch to business is the same as to voters: (gist)"We have to consider policy beyond the next election, and always keep sustainability as a base".

The hold of the 'big parties' is dissolving. And the Greens now poll equal to the NDP. There's talk of merging the two, I think it would be a huge mistake. The Greens should welcome dissenters from the NDP, but only if they are pragmatic centrists.

This is behind paywall, I'll try and find this copy in other UK papers: (This presages the direction Canada's political landscape is headed in)
Parties turn on leaders after dire local election results
Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn were confronted by mounting anger from within their parties today after both suffered dismal local election results while the Lib Dems and Greens benefited. The prime minister was told to stand down by former cabinet colleagues and council leaders after losing ground in the Tories’ southern heartlands, while Labour lost one of its celebrity...
Read the full story

Play Video
May heckled at Welsh Conservative Party conference
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...r-with-blast-at-corbyn-s-leadership-hn3gvmlfc

Here's non-subscription from Sky News:

BREAKING

Politics
Lib Dems benefit as voters snub Tories and Labour

Last edited:
Corbyn is terrible, but May is even worse. In terms of the Tories getting wrecked in the local elections, this also happened in 1995, two years before Tony Blair became PM in a landslide.

On topic, I expect the NDP to win the by-election.

Last edited:
Corbyn is terrible, but May is even worse.
lol...yeah. It's like death by fire or by serrated rusty razor blade. But we're fast approaching same. Getting back to the NDP, you really have to wonder why they deserted Tom Mulcair. I may not agree with the man on every occasion, but I'm certainly intrigued to listen to his points.

Former NDP leader predicts NDP voters might look to Green Party in 2019

Mulcair would be excellent Green material along with Jody Wilson-Rebauld. He'd attract a good chunk of NDP support. Bring Back Tom Mulcair Campaign.

Back