News   Jul 16, 2024
 532     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 663     2 

What's the deal with Tas Designbuild?

Tabitha Draws

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out the reputation of Tas as a builder, but a lot of what I have been reading on google/forums has been vague. There have been a few negative reviews about their custom-home building but not much about the condos. Except for this (which is quite negative!): http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/dia-condo-canterbury-601019/

Just wondering what you all think! People seem to like the M5V/Giraffe projects a lot on this board, so I'm kind of confused! Tas = good or bad?

My only experience with them is based on that DIA project in North York. The building looks interesting in terms of design from the outside, but when I was looking to buy a place, I walked into the building for an open house in 2 of the units, the interior of the building looked very cheaply done. First thing that struck me was that the waiting area for the elevators had damaged looking glass, looked like it was cracked and foggy (like a broken windshield). Apparently it was a manufacturer's defect.

The elevators looked very dark and poorly designed. The wood used inside looked ugly and did not match the building design well. The units looked ok, both units I saw were small <600sqft loft style with 1br or 1+1 that was on 3 levels: main area was den+bath, upstairs was rooftop patio, and downstairs was kitchen and bedroom. Very interesting design indeed. The interiors looked nice but the maintenance fee look high for a building without any amenities except for a party room (don't recall if they had a fitness room or not).

Overall I would give Tas a thumbs up.

Tas is definitely one of the more stylish, design derived builders in Toronto. Their buildings/presentations stand out and that's what this city needs more of in my opinion. Dia, Giraffe and M5V are all very good looking projects in my opinion. Dia, especially, stands out along the very bland glass and steel corridor that is Yonge between the 401 and Finch. I'm sure Giraffe and M5V will do the same. They are also a very environmentally friendly builder. Tas was named green builder of the year, and there is literally an entire table of awards in the Giraffe presentation centre. Both M5V and Giraffe have been registered with LEED and will be LEED cerfitied upon completion.

That negative comment in the link you posted seems to be quite far fetched. It sounds like that guy's entire unit collapsed on top of him and all tas and tarion did was laugh at him. Unless you're buying some ultra-luxury, ultra-expensive new condo or home, you should expect problems. It's just the nature of the new home/condo environment. Delays are also very common as well, very few highrises are completed on time. Giraffe will almost certainly be delayed, mainly due to their OMB troubles.

My main criticism of Tas is that they are somewhat of a controversial developer. Giraffe is involved in one of the biggest OMB battles since the Queen West Triangle and Dia wasn't exactly approved right away either. It makes one wonder that if they were more conservative in their design and locations, they would save themselves and their customers a few headaches. But that's the kind of company they seem to be, and there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. They're almost like the Alfa Romeo of condo companies while Concord Cityplace and many, many others are the Toyota. Stylish with soul and headaches vs. bland and boring but reliable.

Bottom line in my opinion is if you want a typical, run of the mill glass and steel box, don't buy from Tas.

TAS and Lifetime Developments - What's that deal?

I would like to expand the conversation a bit more, following up on the original question..."what's the deal with TAS dB?" Specifically, what happened on m5v, that Lifetime now bills themselves as the developer. In the x2 marketing brouchure, Lifetime developments claims m5v as its own. Did they buy out Tas? Are they equity partners? What's the deal, because Lifetime was not mentioned when buyers purchased m5v condos....and appeared on the scene much later on.

Back