Skibadee

Member Bio
Reaction score
Same building, north views

One unit on the 10th floor is one bedroom 550 SQF

One unit is on the 1st floor is one bedroom with den 676 sqf

Same price

What about relsale down the line?

Does the 1st floor unit have a walk-out? From my limited condo research typically ground floor units carry a premium. What would the view be like at the 10th floor (what are you looking at)?

If you're most concerned about resale value, I would take the space of the larger unit over the view/privacy of the smaller unit on the 10th. The floor premium is much less than the value of an extra 100sf. Unless of course the view from the first floor is a dumpster.

I always thought the higher floor would be better than a ground floor

and this lower unit doesnt back onto a dumpster lol

I guess space is space though

there's a lot of factors to consider:

Find out the floor premium first b/c you might be able to negotiate a better price for 1+den at a higher floor.

550 and 676 mathematically is a huge difference but its the floor plan that matters more. Is the extra sq ft maximized for a useful den space w/o taking away from other areas?

What is the view on the north side? If its obstructed whats the point? If you choose the 1st floor how close are you to the garbage area of the building?

Do you get a terrace with the 1st floor?

Do you NEED the extra space and are you getting a locker?

bottom line its your decision, I'm no expert but IMO w/o knowing the answers to the above questions I'd pick the 10th floor. Either way you won't have much space to begin with and the trend with sq ft is less for more anyways. In the future, if you do find a larger place at least you're not stuck with a 1st floor unit you can't sell.

I would take the first floor with the bigger square footage over the smaller unit on the higher floor. As long as the layout is good, I think you will be able to sell the first floor unit for much more than the smaller one. Think about how agents entice their purchasers to buy a unit...they will be quoting the units price per square foot, and other comps in the area. To me it's a no brainer, but that's just my opinion. Now, if the smaller unit was on the 70th floor of Aura, then I might just have to re-consider...

There is no guarantee that the view will be there for ever. However, extra square footage will always remain. I would personally go with the latter.

I currently live on the 10th floor with a nice view, but after being here for 3 years I think I've spent more time waiting for the elevator than I have looking out the window. It would be nice to just walk into a 1st floor apartment without any hassles, especially if you keep a bike in your place.

The latter i'd rather have more square footage than have a 550 sq ft unit with a north view. If it was a waterfront or city view then I'd reconsider.

Extra square footage no question. If there was a 30+ story difference, then you might have a case, but at 10 stories vs. 126 sq feet it's no contest. The 10 stories will get you maybe $5000 more if you're lucky, but the 126 feet will get you $50 000 more.

Same building, north views

One unit on the 10th floor is one bedroom 550 SQF

One unit is on the 1st floor is one bedroom with den 676 sqf

Same price

What about relsale down the line?

any floorplans, layout, and what is directly north?
does the ground floor unit face a garbage dump, directly on the (busy) street, a dirty back-alley brickwall, etc?

IMO a 10th floor unit would only fetch upto a $10K premium from a ground floor unit of same layout, unless it has something like 10ft+ ceilings, etc.

the additional 126SF would be worth at least $12K and upto $50K more.

Noise. If you're at street level and there's a streetcar line, the screeching could drive you nuts. Sound is reduced when you're higher.

I'd have to see what the answers are to the questions posted above before I could have a clear opinion--

is the larger space well laid out?
is the 1st floor space near the garbage or right on the street
is there any outdoor access from the first floor unit (vs. balcony for the 10th floor)?
do both of these units include lockers?
what is obstructing or potentially obstructing the 10 floor view?

It's true with a ground floor vs. 10th floor there would be sound - but if you are like me - who lived facing a busy street, it didn't really matter. It depends on where you are facing personally - in front of a busy street or towards the back? with less traffic. Personally, I'd go with the extra space. People always look for a den when buying a condo. I find 1BR is just too small and lacks the space. If I would buy, I'd look for 1BR+D and wouldn't even consider a 1BR

Back