News   Jul 30, 2024
 349     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 535     0 

What will replace small incadescent bulbs?

Must I rush out right now and stock up on those small, bright, round bulbs that run across the top of my bathroom mirror - the ones I sit under to put my Judy Garland face on? Those new squiggly-shaped bulbs would look so silly in their place.
These silly misconceptions could be solved by taking a quick look at the Canadian Tire website (no, I don't work for them. Honest.). I have those globe lights above my washroom mirror...and they're fluorescents! They're not a cold blue, they're the same shade of yellow as the lights that were in there when I moved in.

0525372_450_CC_60305.jpg

Don't forget that incandescent light bulbs have lead, so I don't see how CFLs are any worse.

It's only a few milligrams per light. And CFLs last a lot longer so fewer of them are being thrown out. Plus the extra electricity generated using incandescents uses mercury, not to mention the extra pollution from coal plants and waste from nuclear plants.

The electricity required to run your incandescent bulbs produces just as much mercury. Things like watch batteries have more mercury than CFLs. Besides, if you dispose of CFLs like you're supposed to (not in the trash) then the mercury isn't going anywhere harmful. BTW, you're not supposed to throw regular light bulbs in the garbage either.

(no, I don't work for them. Honest.)

I do:) And you are right. We sell a variety of CFL's. We have some for chandeliers, vanities, spotlights, and many more. In fact, we now carry more CFL's than incandescents.

The mercury in a CFL isn't enough to cause any harm and you will only be exposed to it if the bulb breaks. I don't know about your homes, but its very rare that a bulb breaks in my house... and there are 4 kids here. The bulbs also last longer so you wont be having to throw them out often. When you do, you deal with it properly. My store will even take your old bulbs for you as will many other retailers.

This whole mercury debate is a non issue. As long as you aren't swinging from chandeliers, playing baseball with light bulbs or eating them for dinner they wont cause any harm.

This whole mercury debate is a non issue.

Oh, it's an issue. How do you think you will be motivated to change when the next new light bulb technology arrives?

It's only a few milligrams per light. And CFLs last a lot longer so fewer of them are being thrown out. Plus the extra electricity generated using incandescents uses mercury, not to mention the extra pollution from coal plants and waste from nuclear plants.
In Canada incadescents do not waste much "extra electricity" since the heat generated by the bulbs allows me to run my furnace less, which is especially relevant here in chily Fredericton where our house's furnace is also electrically heated.

In Canada incadescents do not waste much "extra electricity" since the heat generated by the bulbs allows me to run my furnace less, which is especially relevant here in chily Fredericton where our house's furnace is also electrically heated.

but what about the summer? i feel the same way about my CRT monitor but right now i'm sweating my ass off!

Oh come on, Fredericton's only a couple degrees colder than Toronto on average. It's not like we're talking about Iqaluit here - furnaces are in use for only half the year. The other half incandescent bulbs waste energy...and that extra electricity generated uses mercury. Either way you're using mercury so I don't see what the issue is.

Have you ever lived in Fredericton? Where snow after Victoria Day, and again at Thanksgiving, are not unheard of?
You do live in Ontario, right? It snowed on Victoria Day last year.

Average high in January, -4 in Fredericton and -2 in Toronto. In July it's 26 in Fredericton and 27 in Toronto. Most of Ontario is pretty similar to New Brunswick.

Back