News   Jul 30, 2024
 357     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 536     0 

What will replace small incadescent bulbs?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
So, we're banning incadescent bulbs in Canada, and replacing them with CFBs. However, will there be small CFB for chandeliers and vanities? I can't imagine my dining chandelier with a dozen huge CFBs where once before small incadescent bulbs mimicked the look of candles.

What, about stove and fridge light bulbs, which must accept extreme hot and cold temps?

If there is not a replacement for small incadescent bulbs, I think I'll have to start buying them on my overseas trips and bringing them home. That's right, a bulb smuggler.

I don't know if all forms of incandescents were banned or just the traditional 40W - 100W bulbs. I imagine they will come up with something eventually. If nothing is available in the CFB department, I imagine backlash will force the province to allow small incandescent bulbs.

^One can only hope. LED's are slow to hit the market in terms of versatile lighting.

Low_Voltage_Idea.jpg

There already are. Been to the Canadian Tire website lately?

can't use them with a dimmer switch though. :( it would cost me about $130.00 worth of bulbs and save around 300 watts. of course with the dimmer, i could always lower the amount of power so each bulb gets around 7 watts instead of 25 but it wouldn't be as bright as the CFL.

the fixture currently uses 425W at full power

if CFL's were added it would use 119W.

P.S, this light fixture rarely gets used, at most a few seconds at a time and usually at half power. not that much savings to be made here. it's more for decoration.

most of the bulbs at home have been converted to CFL's. i bought them back in the expensive days. it's just these rarely used fixtures with small screw bases that haven't been converted.

Part of the reason for the delay in implementing the ban is to allow the technology to catch up. They're working on all the issues mentioned here. And there are already places with the ban in place, so it can't be that these issues have been overlooked. I thought I'd heard that there already are bulbs that work with dimmers...

My problem with the CFBs is that they are BIG, UGLY and EXPENSIVE! Does it really save us money??? I'm not so sure...

They're not big...unless you really need 100 watts or more. 60 watt equivalent CFLs are smaller than traditional light bulbs.

What does all this mean?

Must I rush out right now and stock up on those small, bright, round bulbs that run across the top of my bathroom mirror - the ones I sit under to put my Judy Garland face on? Those new squiggly-shaped bulbs would look so silly in their place.

I look ghastly in blue light. What is to be done? Will there be a black market for old bulbs?

Near me, at the intersection of Logan and Langley, the City installed four different kinds of street lighting about 16 years ago. They mailed out questionnaires to the residents who had to evaluate the results. There was a cold blue light, a brash red light, the old light that was always used, and a cheaper version of the old light. They're still in place, though a few bulbs have been replaced and the effect isn't as clear now.

And cast horrible blue light. I'm not going to them until they fix the colour and take out the mercury.

They've fixed the blue light and you aren't limited to the swirly design any more, alternatives are now available. Here's a pic at Wikipedia which provides a nice illustration. You have there three compact flourescents and one incandescent. I didn't even realise that the lights in the fixture in the room I'm living in these days were flourescent until months afterward.

As for the mercury, it's a tiny amount but they'll never be able to complete take it out because it's integral to the working of all flourescent lights. As the lights become more and more common, I'm sure recycling options will become more common.

Back