News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 696     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 315     0 

What one thing does Toronto do better than anywhere else?

I find that Toronto is very multicultural! I cant imaging another city in the world that has as much diversity in people as well as businesses!

I'm going to say the PATH system. Love it or hate it, I'm going to venture its the best indoor retail/commercial network out there given the size, quality of retailers, consistency of the quality of the network, and support from the city. Thoughts? Montreal's underground city doesn't come close. (I get it that many people live here their whole lives and almost never set foot it in it.)

I would think the most common answer though is multiculturalism/diversity. And when you ask anyone what that means they'll probably say restaurants and street festivals. Which I feel is superficial. And many cities are diverse. Pretty much every big city in North America nowadays is diverse. Toronto is just more diverse than most, if not all.

I disagree on PATH being better than Réso,which is still a just a tiny bit bigger than Path, I believe. Furthermore, Réso has a great gallery section with excellent public art exhibitions. Integration with métro is easily as good as PATH's integration with the subway.

But as for what Toronto does best, it may be a bit boring but I think residential waste management is done just a bit better than here than anywhere else I've lived. You can recycle just about everything, the green bin is not some patchwork compost program like most cities have, and garbage is picked up fortnightly, not weekly as in many other cities, disincentivizing wastefulness.

Talking or 'complain' about the weather. After talking to people who immigrated here recently, they are astonished at the swings and unpredictability of the weather. I was talking about how much warmer it was a year ago I.e. (ballparking here) On April 20th, it was 3 degrees, while a year earlier, it was 23 degrees.

May 24 is always a gamble too. Even on the hottest days, they are astonish at how hot and humid it could be. Those that come from colder climates too have remarked how cold it could get here too (more than they expected).

Last edited:
The one thing Toronto does better than anyone else is being its usual wonderful, schizophrenic, boastful, timid, self-questioning, diverse self. There is no place on earth that does Toronto the way we do. We are the best at being Torontonians, and we should keep working on doing that even better, rather than worrying about how others are doing.

Politeness! Toronto is usually highly ranked when it comes to world's friendliest cities in the world. My friend visiting from Norway recently, couldn't get over how friendly and welcoming everyone is here! Complete strangers holding the door open for her, service with a smile in restaurants, people don't body-check to get on the subway. Where she is from, people are very cold and inconsiderate. I didn't really notice how friendly Torontonians are until i traveled to other big cities around the world.
That's an interesting one to note.

My European friends (Eastern at that) find that politeness and niceness extremely aggravating because they view it as fake. One of my friends couldn't stop freaking out at all these 'random people laughing at me' (the smiling threw him off).

I am used to it, I grew up here. I like it.

That's an interesting one to note.

My European friends (Eastern at that) find that politeness and niceness extremely aggravating because they view it as fake. One of my friends couldn't stop freaking out at all these 'random people laughing at me' (the smiling threw him off).

I am used to it, I grew up here. I like it.
In many places in the world (where I would not like to live) - as you have noted, smiling at strangers is considered to be fake and a sign of something wrong. I have experienced this in Eastern Europe which is the worst example of this that I have experienced. In Latin America, people are smilier.

Last edited:

Back