1.1K     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 549     0 

What makes a quality condo/development?

Pretzel

Not New to UT
Member Bio
Reaction score
What criteria would some of you use in order to determine what makes a quality built condo?

Which of the following professions contributes to the satisfaction or loyalty, if you will; of the buyer?
-Architect
-Developer
-General contractor
-Interior designer
-Other

Is there a ranking that you would ascribe to this, in order of importance? If you have any other additions to the list, please feel free to add.

Mods, feel free to move this post if you feel it belongs in a different thread.

I think what you listed covers most of it

- Architect or firm with freedom to to design an interesting or pleasing-looking building (see Spire!, Casa, Murano, X (I think it's safe to say already), London On The Esplanade, One St. Thomas to name a few)
- A developer who treats their buyers well and doesn't cut corners on design & materials
- Quality of materials used on both the exterior and interior of the complex
- Well designed floorplans
- General contractor, although most wouldn't know who those are (I think D J Campbell is doing Casa, I've worked with them twice in the past and have found them professional and have good workmanship)
- How a building fits into and serves a neighbourhood aside from being a living space
- Location, but that's very subjective

Thanks for the reply DT but if you are buying pre-construction how would you know the quality of the materials being used? Would you go by previous projects built by the architect or the developer?

Who has a greater control over the specs/building details for the project?

Buying pre-construction is a different matter as opposed to your general question, "what makes a quality condo/development?". Although there are a handful of what could be described as generally well regarded developers in Toronto, there are always exceptions to quality of materials, good floorplans, exterior design and how a building serves the neighbourhood for the better developers. I'm not sure that most of those points can be truly determined until a building nears completion.

Back