News   Aug 07, 2024
 77     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 271     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 229     0 

what is the oldest man made structure in toronto?

Excluding "archaeological" sites, Scadding Cabin? (At least according to tradition, which may or may not be spurious...)

There's an Iroquois mound in Scarborough, dating from about 1250...

indian2.jpg

www.west-hill.com/aboriginal.html

www.interlog.com/~jkeswick/indian.html

As far as European settlement goes, I think that much of Toronto was destroyed in the war of 1812. If Scadding cabin isn't the oldest structure, my guess would be something at Fort York.

Here's my second trivia question of the day: what does Fort York have to do with Queen St?

I'd agree with Scadding Cabin (1794) with Gibraltar Point Lighthouse as runner-up (1808)

whoa wylie, that's wicked!

that is really old. nice to see it was preserved. that was a loooong time ago.

keep the info comming guys. :)

i thought there was a small cabin around st.clair/avenue that held the title. i remember an article in the star talking about local residents' struggle to preserve it

i thought there was a small cabin around st.clair/avenue that held the title. i remember an article in the star talking about local residents' struggle to preserve it

"Was".

Another "you never know what might be underneath" candidate: William Gilpin's house on Broadview (around the curve just N of Bridgepoint), whose log core *may* be c18...

The light house on the Toronto islands is one of the oldest structures in Toronto. Infact its the oldest lighthouse on the great lakes. Built sometime in 1814 or sometime around then.

i did a little poking around, and there's some confusion because several buildings lay claim to different things.

the scadding cabin (1794) is the oldest building, but it was moved in 1879 to its present location

the gibraltar lighthouse (1808) is the oldest building on its original site.

the st. michael's rectory is the oldest building still being used for its original purpose (1846)

Though with mega-amalgamation, I'm wondering about what remains of the "really old" out in the boondocks--I'm almost certain there must be some pre-1846 "still used for original purpose" (i.e. residential) in Etob/NY/Scarb...

Back