News   May 03, 2024
 821     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 520     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 256     0 

What is it???

Hmm - that might be the easiest way of going from northbound Bayview to northbound Rosedale Valley Road .... get onto the DVP ramp - do a loop around that interchange, and come back south on Bayview and then onto Rosedale Valley north ....

Pretty sure it's chained off...but it would be way easier than looping at the brickworks.

interesting to note that there isn't a way to enter the "loop" when coming off the dvp.

interesting to note that there isn't a way to enter the "loop" when coming off the dvp.

On the surface level, there's sort of an indication that there once was (there's a clearing in the shape of an access ramp at least) - but it seems like the only part that isn't used (salt trucks coming off the DVP wouldn't need to use it to get turned around for the salt station). The road is really over-grown and old looking though, but it looks like it's in otherwise good condition.

And it isn't blocked by a chain, it's blocked by a proper gate :(

There was a point when the incomplete DVP "ended" here--but my feeling is, this particular array was always a service-area entrance, never a long-lost Don Roadway connector, never for civilian traffic per se. And again, it only "seems" important because Google Earth makes it seem so.

And I'm sure there's plenty of other seemingly overaggrandized servicing-area entrance arrangements elsewhere, from Robert Moses' NYC on downward...

It looks like the road connects to the Don Parkway trail (or whatever that pathway along the river is called), so my guess is that it would be a city owned road for it's operations.

Having checked through photos at the archives...

Well, the interchange thing was built at the same time as the rest of the DVP. It never seems to have connected to anything more than a dirt road, but the dirt road itself seems to be left over from when Winchester came down into the valley and crossed the Don (the dirt road ends at the river bank in about the location of the old bridge).

I am not totally sure, but could it have been that earlier the off-ramps from the DVP had concrete barriers down the middle, making it hard for cars/emerg. vehicles to turn around, so they constructed a very elaborate on/off ramp system?

I doubt it.

Anybody ever come up with an answer to this in the past 11 years? :D

I wanted to help with this riddle, but stumbled on something that may interest others. While clicking on the City's aerial photos archive, for 1959 we're greeted with overlay drawings of planned expressways. Or at least general concepts. The trunk of Crosstown Expressway veered down Park Drive/Yellow Creek to DVP, but even Moore Pk ravine wasn't spared with some kind of tail expwy also connecting to DVP. The 1957 and 1960 images also show overlays.

However this phantom on/offramp aren't labeled, yet appears during construction of the DVP by 1961. So the mystery remains.

1959-aerial-photo-with-planned-highways-overlay.png

I wanted to help with this riddle, but stumbled on something that may interest others. While clicking on the City's aerial photos archive, for 1959 we're greeted with overlay drawings of planned expressways. Or at least general concepts. The trunk of Crosstown Expressway veered down Park Drive/Yellow Creek to DVP, but even Moore Pk ravine wasn't spared with some kind of tail expwy also connecting to DVP. The 1957 and 1960 images also show overlays.

However this phantom on/offramp aren't labeled, yet appears during construction of the DVP by 1961. So the mystery remains.

View attachment 201509
The Rosehill Reservoir (top left) was exposed as well.

Looking at the lengths (or lack thereof) of the acceleration and deceleration lanes, it looks like this was never intended for public use.
Design safety was much less of a concern that far in the past, they could have built ramps that today are considered very substandard.

Could these ramps have been requested by the railways for access to their lines by maintenance vehicles and railway police, including for the now abandoned ROWs in the Valley?

Design safety was much less of a concern that far in the past, they could have built ramps that today are considered very substandard.

Could these ramps have been requested by the railways for access to their lines by maintenance vehicles and railway police, including for the now abandoned ROWs in the Valley?
Highway design in terms of cross-fall, radius, speed change lanes, vertical alignment have changed little in the past 70 years since the start of construction of highway 400 in the late 1940's. I agree with you that it was likely for maintenance vehicles of some sorts that would not be a steady stream of traffic that could slow the remainder of the road, and could possibly time their use of the ramps to off-peak times.

Back