(a) He has some ancestral family connection
(not necessary genetic) ;
(b) identifies himself or herself as Métis ; and
(c) is accepted by the Métis community or locally
organized community branch, chapter or council
of a Métis association or organisation with which
that person wishes to be associated.

wow, that is not exactly air-tight.

ok, I'll take the bait on this one. I listened to a cbc morning show program once where Shelagh Rogers was chatting with two people who were trying to get out of a fishing-without-proper-licences fine because thier great-great aunt was Cree (forget which nation actually) - and I remembered thinking how depressingly Canadian the whole experience was for me.

I stated the above question this way purely to indicate that Canada's aborginial claims and demands are against all Canadians.

They are?

Yes, but virtue of the fact that the government represents the Canadian people.

I sometimes wonder how long will be long enough when it comes to the tens of billions directed towards 'native' issues. A thousand years?

If I sued the Canadian government, I wouldn't want to be accused of suing the people of Canada, or being against Canadian people. I'd be suing the government, plain and simple.

Ultimately, it is the Canadian people who pay for it. Maybe it doesn't sound nice, but you're suing every Canadian when you sue the government.

It may come as a surprise, but there are a number of new Canadians who don't understand the entire aboriginal dynamic of the country. In some cases it stems from the fact that many immigrants work hard, become successful, and often do so against significant odds. There are some who don't understand why a group of people, who are generations removed from the poisoned history of the past, should still have special status, yet experience high rates of poverty. While such questions are politically loaded, they do deserve some form of explanation. Try it yourself, you will find it difficult to explain. So there is nothing wrong with examining the broader issues, in my opinion.

There are some who don't understand why a group of people, who are generations removed from the poisoned history of the past, should still have special status, yet experience high rates of poverty.

They are?

Mistreatment of natives hasn't just disappeared...and some of the worst wasn't all that long ago. Residential schools just closed down in the 60s.

Im not the most well versed on native issues either, but I don't think it's fair to say billions have been thrown at the issue so it should be solved.

It's all too common to make the assumption that native indians are somehow at fault...however, it seems many people don't seem to have any idea what's going on in regards to native issues; they just label them an unruly band who have received more help than they deserve (not that anyone here feels that way; but growing up here, going through school, etc. this has been a prevalent attitude).

It's a complicated issue and one that the country as a whole should really take time to deal with. I think it deserves at least as much attention as the Quebec issue(s), if not more.

Ultimately, it is the Canadian people who pay for it. Maybe it doesn't sound nice, but you're suing every Canadian when you sue the government.

That much is obvious...but the original poster seemed to be implying it's an "us vs. them" situation.

Isn't it, to some extent? Many natives certainly see it that way.

It's all too common to make the assumption that native indians are somehow at fault...however, it seems many people don't seem to have any idea what's going on in regards to native issues; they just label them an unruly band who have received more help than they deserve (not that anyone here feels that way; but growing up here, going through school, etc. this has been a prevalent attitude).

It is also easy to make broad generalizations about a large grouping of situations. Some native communities actually do quite well while others do very poorly and live only by way of government support. In some of those poor situations it is the choices of people that go a long way in determining a quality of their lives. Is it a blame game? No. Is it real, nevertheless? Yes.

Has someone actually suggested that all first nations people are an "unruly band?"

By having "special" status based solely on history, a person or group is made to stand out, whether they like it or not.

When you talk about "fault," I think it would help to know what you mean when you use that word.

In the years since moving to Canada I've often heard the term Metis used in combination with Aboriginal claims or issues. What are Metis? My thinking is that they are descendants of the matings of French explorers and native women. However, is there are limit to this? If a French person today was to have a child with a native person, is this child considered Metis, or just half-native? On what ideas do Metis found their claims and demands on the Canadian people? Thanks.
You may want to order a copy of Carrying the Chalice Forward and Other Secret Stories of North America by Martin Carriere Metis Author. The definition of a Metis used by the government and service organizations is not necessarily the definition held by the traditional Metis families. Here is a copy of the Metis old family definition:

"Metis

A Metis is a blood descendant of the original Indigenous families of Turtle Island (also known as North and South America) and a blood descendant of the original allied families.

Our families are the indigenous descendants of the chief and head families engaged with trading from other nations including all the indigenous nations of North and South America. Following the introduction of European trade goods and the offers of peaceful alliances based on traditional trading practices, trade based marriages were arranged that facilitated the peaceful trading in European goods. Competition between indigenous nations over trade and territorial boundaries sped up the number of nations allying themselves through blood based marriages with the new suppliers of trade goods.Like the gypsies in Europe these families held their own hierarchy and family traditions based on indigenous models of living.

The new offspring emerged united as allies to the Indigenous Families under the identifying names such as Bois Brule, Coureur de Bois, Otipemisiwak, The Free people, Metis, Voyageurs, Norwesters, Great Plains Michif, Michif speakers, Louisianna Metis, Acadians, Cajuns, Creoles, the flower bead people, half breeds, breeds and others. We lived in our free and allied territories from one coast to the other. Following the European feudal incursions and challenges over legal land title our families united as the Metis Nation with a blue flag and white infinity symbol.

All who desire to identify as a member of the Metis Nation may do so from direct Metis descent or from allied family descent. Allied families include the Indigenous Nations - refered to alternately as North American Indians, South American Indians, Native Americans, Natives, Aboriginals etc. and families related by kinship to the original allied families.

The original allied families are those families not originally from the region of Turtle Island (North and South America ) who within the last two or more millennia joined their families as allies with the families of the Sovereign Indigenous Nations and who identify as being of Metis descent."
Best regards cousin,
Metismartin

Back