Norm Kelly - Right
Chin Lee - Right
Raymond Cho - Middle, close race with N. Shan - Middle
Paul Ainslie - Right
Diana Hall - Middle, close race with R. Moeser - Middle

24 Right
13 Left
8 Middle

Anyone think that Rob Ford can't work with this Council? Even in the unlikely event that left wins all the close races, picking up 5 seats: Bussin, Spencer, Wong-Tam, Doucette, Perruzza, Fragedakis - the left still doesn't have the votes to stand in the way of Ford on critical issues. And that is before he buys middle votes with appointments.

What's with all this left-middle-right BS? Seems a bit silly to pigeon-hole every councilor with such broad descriptions. Also, what are you basing these results on? I somehow doubt you have your finger on the pulse of 44 wards.

The Ward19 race is not close with Sean McCormick. Last time I checked, he was having trouble with the right all scattered.

Karen Sun has been at this for over a year. People know her name by now. I'm not sure if it'll go to her or Layton but McCormick is not the threat that he appeared to be when he entered the race.

Re: Layton, did he even campaign?? I'm in a pretty dense part of the ward and I didn't get a visit from him or his volunteers nor did he respond to any emails I sent to his campaign. McCormick and Sun did respond. Sun visited my building personally over 2 days last week.

Anyone think that Rob Ford can't work with this Council? Even in the unlikely event that left wins all the close races, picking up 5 seats: Bussin, Spencer, Wong-Tam, Doucette, Perruzza, Fragedakis - the left still doesn't have the votes to stand in the way of Ford on critical issues. And that is before he buys middle votes with appointments.

I know some of the "Right" councillors and I can tell you that few of them would work with Ford. A very limited number are anywhere near as far Right as Ford is.

HonkyDonkey: I don't care who wins in every ward. Ya, we can take a guess that 90% of the incumbents will win their seat (because it's historically the case) and that's great if you want to take a guess on each one but it seems like a waste of time when we'll find out the exact answer tomorrow.

Now why are labels like left, right and middle horrible ways of defining politicians? Simply put, just because I have an opinion on one issue, doesn't mean that I should be expected to have a certain position on another issue. You can call that "middle" if you want, but such a label tells us absolutely nothing of substance about someone. For example, you could believe that the Unions have too much power yet believe strongly in the need for social housing, public transit, art funding, etc. Or, you could be in favour of the Island Airport and still believe in waterfront redevelopment. Or you could be in favour of bike lanes and lower business taxes. It's one of the great things about not having parties. It acknowledges that you can't agree with someone about everything. By pigeon-holing politicians as left-middle-right, you're making assumptions about the left and the right, and you're telling us absolutely nothing about the polticians that you believe are in the middle. Furthermore, I don't think people even know what they're talking about when they talk like this. The rhetoric about the left being elitist is a perfect example that defies traditional labels.

Now, if you still don't believe all of that, here's a question that's goes beyond this election: is religiosity a right wing or left wing value?

I only put New Democrats on the left. The right is composed of conservatives and right-wing liberals. The middle is mushy left liberals and some "community activists". If you don't think that that is accurate, you haven't watched council over the past four years. Not only is council ideologically predictable, its ideologically reliable. Who says the left is elitist? It's not. It is old-school Labour Council followers and intellectual do-gooders. Religiosity isn't an issue here, excepting in Don Valley East where P.K. Youngren, a preacher, has mobilitized his flock.

Further to MetroMan, I know all the right-wingers and in fact all of Council. Dollars to doughnuts -- the right will quickly fall into step.

I only put New Democrats on the left. The right is composed of conservatives and right-wing liberals. The middle is mushy left liberals and some "community activists". If you don't think that that is accurate, you haven't watched council over the past four years. Not only is council ideologically predictable, its ideologically reliable. Who says the left is elitist? It's not. It is old-school Labour Council followers and intellectual do-gooders. Religiosity isn't an issue here, excepting in Don Valley East where P.K. Youngren, a preacher, has mobilitized his flock.

Again, none of those labels mean anything. It's a dumbing down of politics.

And last I checked the whole "downtown elite" thing was a slam against downtowners who are supposedly progressive. And it was a common phrase used throughout this election.

Finally, as I said (if you go back and read what I wrote) when I refered to religion, I was going beyond this election to prove a point about the political spectrum.

Also, if you want to know why labels don't work, here's a breakdown done by SimonP of how closely aligned councilors were to Miller. It shows that only 25% of councilors sided with Miller on everything.

Curious to learn more about how Toronto council breaks down, I've put together of a list of how closely aligned with Miller each councillor is. I picked 20 major votes from the last session, and looked at how often each councillor voted the same way as Miller and his team. Here are the numbers, from most-anti-Miller to most pro-Miller:

• Case Ootes - 5.3% - (1 out of 19)
  • Rob Ford - 11.1% - (2 out of 18)
  • David Shiner - 13.3% - (2 out of 15)
  • John Parker - 21.1% - (4 out of 19)
  • Denzil Minnan-Wong - 22.2% - (4 out of 18)
  • Doug Holyday - 25.0% - (5 out of 20)
  • Michael Del Grande - 26.3% - (5 out of 19)
  • Cliff Jenkins - 26.3% - (5 out of 19)
  • Mike Feldman - 26.7% - (4 out of 15)
  • Frances Nunziata - 30.0% - (6 out of 20)
  • Karen Stintz - 31.3% - (5 out of 16)
  • Michael Walker - 33.3% - (6 out of 18)
  • Brian Ashton - 35.0% - (7 out of 20)
  • Chin Lee - 35.3% - (6 out of 17)
  • Peter Milczyn - 42.1% - (8 out of 19)
  • Michael Thompson - 43.8% - (7 out of 16)
  • Ron Moeser - 55.0% - (11 out of 20)
  • Gloria Lindsay Luby - 57.9% - (11 out of 19)
  • Cesar Palacio - 60.0% - (9 out of 15)
  • Paul Ainslie - 63.2% - (12 out of 19)
  • Norm Kelly - 70.0% - (14 out of 20)
  • Anthony Perruzza - 72.2% - (13 out of 18)
  • Bill Saundercook - 72.2% - (13 out of 18)
  • Suzan Hall - 75.0% - (15 out of 20)
  • Mark Grimes - 77.8% - (14 out of 18)
  • Frank Di Giorgio - 78.9% - (15 out of 19)
  • Maria Augimeri - 82.4% - (14 out of 17)
  • John Filion - 82.4% - (14 out of 17)
  • Giorgio Mammoliti - 85.7% - (12 out of 14)
  • Paula Fletcher - 94.1% - (16 out of 17)
  • Sandra Bussin - 94.4% - (17 out of 18)
  • Raymond Cho - 94.4% - (17 out of 18)
  • Howard Moscoe - 94.4% - (17 out of 18)
  • Shelley Carroll - 100.0% - (19 out of 19)
  • Janet Davis - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Glenn De Baeremaeker - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Adam Giambrone - 100.0% - (18 out of 18)
  • Adrian Heaps - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Pam McConnell - 100.0% - (18 out of 18)
  • Joe Mihevc - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Joe Pantalone - 100.0% - (18 out of 18)
  • Gord Perks - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Kyle Rae - 100.0% - (16 out of 16)
  • Adam Vaughan - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)

I put the members of the Executive Committee in italics. They are a special case as they are obligated to vote together with Miller on all major issues.

If you're interested in what the 20 votes were, here is what I used:

• 2009 Operating budget
  • 2010 Arts Funding increase
  • 2010 Operating budget
  • Banning Corportate/Union contributions
  • EMS essential designation
  • Taking down the Gardiner removal
  • Closing the Highland Creek incinerator
  • Jarvis Bike lanes
  • Land transfer tax
  • Buying new streetcars
  • Council pay freeze
  • Plastic bag fee
  • Making the Rouge a national park
  • Sign bylaw
  • Banning smoking in parks
  • CUPE strike settlement
  • TTC Essential service designation
  • University bike lanes
  • Vehicle registration tax
  • 70% Waste diversion plan

Here's a few haphazard, quickie clarifications

Rob Ford - Right

Suzan Hall - Left (actually, more middle)
Doug Ford - Right
John Campbell - Right, close race with G. Lindsay-Luby - Right
Doug Holyday - Right
Peter Milczyn - Right, close race with J. DiCiano - Middle (closeness, or middle/rightness, debatable there)
Mark Grimes - Middle (actually more right-leaning--even reportedly a 2008 McCain/Palin supporter)
Giorgio Mammoliti - Right
Peter LiPreti - Right, close race with A. Perruzza - Left
Maria Augimeri - Left
James Pasternak - Right
Rob Davis - Right
Frances Nunziata - Right
Frank DiGiorgio - Right, close race with R. Gosling - Middle
Bill Saundercook - Right, close race with S. Doucette - Left
Gord Perks - Left
Karen Stintz - Right
Cesar Palacio - Right
Ana Bailao - Right (actually more centre)
Mike Layton - Left, close race with S. McCormick - Right (is McCormick *that* right?)
Adam Vaughan - Left
Joe Michevc - Left
Josh Matlow - Middle, close race with C. Sellors - Middle (Matlow's probably more left than middle by your standards)
John Filion - Left
David Shiner - Right
Jaye Robinson - Right, close race with C. Jenkins - Right (actually, Robinson's more middle or even left)
Muhammad Dhanani - Middle, close race with J. Burnside - Right (whither John Parker?)
Pam McConnell - Left
Ken Chan - Middle, close race with K. Wong-Tam - Left
Jane Pitfield - Right, close with J. Wood - Right, M. Fragedakis - Left (believe it or not, Pitfield might be centre-leaning)
Paula Fletcher - Left
Janet Davis - Left
Mary-Margaret McMahon - Middle, close race with S. Bussin - Left
Shelley Carroll - Left
Denzil Minnan-Wong - Right
Adrian Heaps - Left, close race with M. Berardinetti - Middle
Gary Crawford - Right, close race with R. Spencer - Left, S. Gladney - Right
Michael Thompson - Right
Glenn DeBaeremaeker - Left
Mike DelGrande - Right
Norm Kelly - Right
Chin Lee - Right
Raymond Cho - Middle, close race with N. Shan - Middle (Shan ran for the NDP provincially in 2007, which'd make him left)
Paul Ainslie - Right
Diana Hall - Middle, close race with R. Moeser - Middle (arguably both more right than middle)

24 Right
13 Left
8 Middle

He don't know Wob Ford vewwy well, do he?

I think this is an overly simplistic analysis, but it does stand as a good counterpoint to Pantalone supporters who argue that a Mayor Ford is irrelevant because council will just vote against him all the time.

Back