News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 696     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 315     0 

What do you guys think of this floor plan and finishes?

What do you think of this floorplan?

• Total voters

azureray

Member Bio
Reaction score
The interior space total 872 sq. ft., Terrace 347 Sq. Ft.

Let me know your thoughts and creative design ideas to improve the design.

Attachments

• plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 669
nice finishes ... is this from Ritz Carlton or Shangri-la?

i'm not fond of the 2nd bathroom opening into the LR/DR.
if possible, have the fixtures re-arranged (from left-to-right) .... shower, toilet, sink with door opening into hallway.
that allows for privacy and also gives you a wall for furniture/art placement,etc.

it seems like the poggenpohl kitchen cabs extend the full length of the exterior wall, so does that mean the built-in murphy bed is part of it?
do you have an elevation of the kitchen and the appliance placements? i'm having difficulty understanding where all the appliances are.

if it's possible, i suggest you have the island moved as far south as possible and have the gastop moved to the center of the island instead of being on the end right next to the glass wall ... it's best to have some countertop space on either side for safety and visual symmetry.

having the island further south and a solid wall where the 2nd bathroom is would also allow you to better utilize the length of the LR/DR.

p.s. - forgot to mention that the space wouldn't look chopped up and appear larger if you replace the marble kitchen flooring with the same hardwood as the rest of the suite in an open concept area.

Last edited:
nice finishes ... is this from Ritz Carlton or Shangri-la?

i'm not fond of the 2nd bathroom opening into the LR/DR.
if possible, have the fixtures re-arranged (from left-to-right) .... shower, toilet, sink with door opening into hallway.
that allows for privacy and also gives you a wall for furniture/art placement,etc.

it seems like the poggenpohl kitchen cabs extend the full length of the exterior wall, so does that mean the built-in murphy bed is part of it?
do you have an elevation of the kitchen and the appliance placements? i'm having difficulty understanding where all the appliances are.

if it's possible, i suggest you have the island moved as far south as possible and have the gastop moved to the center of the island instead of being on the end right next to the glass wall ... it's best to have some countertop space on either side for safety and visual symmetry.

having the island further south and a solid wall where the 2nd bathroom is would also allow you to better utilize the length of the LR/DR.

p.s. - forgot to mention that the space wouldn't look chopped up and appear larger if you replace the marble kitchen flooring with the same hardwood as the rest of the suite in an open concept area.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply!!!! This is extremely helpful! I have revised the drawing and please see attached.

I agree with using the same hardwood floor throughout. The murphy bed won't be part of the kitchen. There's a sandblasted glass parition wall in between the kitchen and the den / second br.

I am also concerned about kitchen storage space. Do you have any suggestion on kitchen storage? The far north side of the kitchen is a fridge with a pull out pantry.

Last edited:
It looks pretty nice. The one thing I find odd is that the master bedroom looks like it has a lot of space, but that space is wasted. Most small condos have so little room that the bedrooms can only hold a bed; this one has space for one or more armchairs (maybe one on either side of the bed), so perhaps a nice tv would be logical. I think the wall with the wardrobe would be the logical place for the tv. What about a smaller wardrobe, relocated to the top wall (behind the 2nd bathroom)? Or integrating an entertainment system into the wardrobe? Maybe that's already part of the plan...

I think the finishes are lovely and frankly I'm a bit spacially challenged but ... I like the idea of a Murphy bed but I suspect that it won't be used too often. There must be some way that you could craft something that was sometimes used as a spare bed and sometimes ... wait for it ... a dining room table. I, like many, enjoy entertaining and most condos of this size do not offer a separate dining area. If I made my dream condo the spare bedroom/den would usually be a dining area, the "wall" between kitchen and 2nd bed would include a door (sliding barn style door) so that I could walk into the "dining area" from the kitchen and enjoy the view out the window while entertaining friends and just leave it open so that I could see out when in the kitchen.
I'd love to know what other people think: I personally keep my bathroom quite clean and hate losing space to a second bathroom. I'd prefer one bathroom with a door from the hall and another door from my bedroom (i.e. one bathroom). I love the terrace and hate condos that have no outdoor space!!!!! Koodos for its size.
Maybe I'll design a dining table that can become a bed.

I think the finishes are lovely and frankly I'm a bit spacially challenged but ... I like the idea of a Murphy bed but I suspect that it won't be used too often. There must be some way that you could craft something that was sometimes used as a spare bed and sometimes ... wait for it ... a dining room table. I, like many, enjoy entertaining and most condos of this size do not offer a separate dining area. If I made my dream condo the spare bedroom/den would usually be a dining area, the "wall" between kitchen and 2nd bed would include a door (sliding barn style door) so that I could walk into the "dining area" from the kitchen and enjoy the view out the window while entertaining friends and just leave it open so that I could see out when in the kitchen.
I'd love to know what other people think: I personally keep my bathroom quite clean and hate losing space to a second bathroom. I'd prefer one bathroom with a door from the hall and another door from my bedroom (i.e. one bathroom). I love the terrace and hate condos that have no outdoor space!!!!! Koodos for its size.

That's a fantastic idea~!! Any drawings / ideas for the mill work to make this murphy bed / dinning table becoming reality?

OK, here comes the further revised version, with the siding doors in between the kitchen and den.

Also, replaced kitchen flooring with engineered hardwood flooring. (Any thoughts on durability?)

Last edited:
engineered wood flooring should be fairly durable, but it also depends on the wood species.
of course, you shouldn't be leaving spilled liquid on the wood.

how much customization are you able to do ???

what are your desires?
why the den with built in bed?
why 2nd bath? can the plumbing stack in the 2nd bath be moved?

is there a window in the kitchen b/c the 2 different plans vary.
the island's depth also changed from 30" + extended breakfast bar to 48" ?
are the island cabinets 30" deep or 24" (ie. ~ 600 mm which are standard poggenpohl)

are you working with an architect / interior designer b/c they should be asking these Q's from you and be able to help you out.

engineered wood flooring should be fairly durable, but it also depends on the wood species.
of course, you shouldn't be leaving spilled liquid on the wood.

how much customization are you able to do ???

what are your desires?
why the den with built in bed?
why 2nd bath? can the plumbing stack in the 2nd bath be moved?

is there a window in the kitchen b/c the 2 different plans vary.
the island's depth also changed from 30" + extended breakfast bar to 48" ?
are the island cabinets 30" deep or 24" (ie. ~ 600 mm which are standard poggenpohl)

are you working with an architect / interior designer b/c they should be asking these Q's from you and be able to help you out.

Yes, I am working with the architect and for now I can propose what I want and they will see the feasibility. They have added a window in the kitchen, which I think is great. Also, they have extended the island depth to 48". I believe the poggenpohl cabinets are standard depth. 2nd Bath was in the original plan as a powder room, which is intended for visitor's use. Since in the master bedroom, it is a bathtub /shower, the architect agreed to add a shower to the powder room. Also, I wanted to have a built in bed in the den, so that I can use it as an occational second bedroom. But most of the time, I would use it as a study / reading room.

The main living room I intend to keep it as open and empty as possible, since I will use is as a home photography studio occasionally. Hence the extended breakfast bar, which can be used as an informal dinning area.

What are your further thoughts?

Yes, I am working with the architect and for now I can propose what I want and they will see the feasibility. They have added a window in the kitchen, which I think is great. Also, they have extended the island depth to 48". I believe the poggenpohl cabinets are standard depth. 2nd Bath was in the original plan as a powder room, which is intended for visitor's use. Since in the master bedroom, it is a bathtub /shower, the architect agreed to add a shower to the powder room. Also, I wanted to have a built in bed in the den, so that I can use it as an occational second bedroom. But most of the time, I would use it as a study / reading room.

The main living room I intend to keep it as open and empty as possible, since I will use is as a home photography studio occasionally. Hence the extended breakfast bar, which can be used as an informal dinning area.

What are your further thoughts?

check out the desk/bed:
http://www.dwell.com/articles/a-narrow-victory.html

re: storage
- how many drawers do you have?
- get extra-tall wall cabinets if you have high ceilings. (what is the ceiling height btw?)

could you please provide me with an elevation of the kitchen,
or describe it in detail with order + size of appliances so i know what is where and how big.
unfortunately, the info on the diagrams seem to be mixed up.

Is this layout from that condo that will be built at Adelaide and Charlotte? I remember looking there and this layout completely rings a bell. Can't remember the name though.

I'm in agreement with those that think you should lose the Murphy bed. It makes that room unusable for almost anything else. I've seen custom cabinets that have a much smaller pullout bed at the bottom. Everything from knee height up is all storage and display cabinets. Much more functional on a day-to-day basis.

If you placed a fairly light dining table in that space, you could always pull it out a few into the living room in the event of guests who need a bed.

Back