News   May 17, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

what do the toronto people do?

devjohnson

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'n thinking about moving to Toronto. I have a few questions though.

1. Do you need a car
2. How do you bring home big packages/load of groceries without a car
3. Is it overrated
4. How often do you guys use the TTC System
5. Any other info I should know

1. Do you need a car
3. Is it overrated

1. Depends where you're living and where you're working. Live and work downtown? Don't need a car at all. Live in North Toronto and work downtown? Can probably get by without a car. Live in North York and work in Scarborough? A car would probably be required.

2. Groceries are easy. You just go a little bit more frequently. Instead of going to the store once every two weeks and buying $250 worth of food, you go three times a week on your way home and pick up what you need.

For big stuff, you can either look at delivery options (for furniture or whatever), call a cab or investigate a carshare service like ZipCar.

3. Is Toronto overrated? I don't know. I like it. People like it. Some people despise it. It is what you make of it, like all places.

4. I live right downtown and like to walk and don't mind, for example, walking the ~2km from Yonge to Bathurst. The TTC is nice for lazy days, though.

5. Just relax and take it easy. Remember that Yonge goes North-South and Bloor goes East-West and you can always figure out which way's South by looking for the CN Tower.

1. Do you need a car
3. Is it overrated

Under "5.".

Columbus has a Goodale Park. Toronto has High Park.
Columbus has a City Center Mall (which is being torn down). Toronto has a thriving Eaton Centre.
Columbus has the Blue Jackets whose games you can easily attend. Toronto has the Maple Leafs which you can't see unless you pay scalpers for tickets.
Columbus has a North Market. Toronto has a St. Lawrence Market which is just as nice but 5 times the size.
Columbus has Short North. Toronto has at least 20 neighbourhoods like this. All bigger. Some are ethnic.
Columbus has Easton Town Center. Toronto's major malls are all covered.
Columbus has Ohio State U. Toronto has University of Toronto which is quieter, except for the engineering school.
Columbus has the Ohio Historical Centre. Toronto has the Royal Ontario Museum.
Columbus has the Franklin Park Conservatory. Toronto has nothing like it.

That's all I can think of for now.:)

Under "5.".

Columbus has a Goodale Park. Toronto has High Park.
Columbus has a City Center Mall (which is being torn down). Toronto has a thriving Eaton Centre.
Columbus has the Blue Jackets whose games you can easily attend. Toronto has the Maple Leafs which you can't see unless you pay scalpers for tickets.
Columbus has a North Market. Toronto has a St. Lawrence Market which is just as nice but 5 times the size.
Columbus has Short North. Toronto has at least 20 neighbourhoods like this. All bigger. Some are ethnic.
Columbus has Easton Town Center. Toronto's major malls are all covered.
Columbus has Ohio State U. Toronto has University of Toronto which is quieter, except for the engineering school.
Columbus has the Ohio Historical Centre. Toronto has the Royal Ontario Museum.
Columbus has the Franklin Park Conservatory. Toronto has nothing like it.

That's all I can think of for now.:)

Wow u know Columbus quite well. But the eaton centre is FAR better than Easton, and the city centre...ha! Joke. Seem to find everything more spread out in Columbus. Everything is close in Toronto.

Wow u know Columbus quite well.

haha. My kid lives in Westerville OH, so I know Columbus well. Also, the Columbus Dispatch is a client of mine. I see then occasionally.

You must also know that Columbus housing or rent is 1/2 or less than the price in Toronto?:(

1. If you live in one of the major central neighbourhoods, High Park, Riverdale, Annex, Yonge St. Subway Line, downtown, etc. etc. etc. you don’t need a car. (For single guys carlessness can be a drag on your dating life however.)

2. I don’t have a car and it is a bit of a bitch when it comes to groceries. I have to shop in small batches which can be annoying. My neighbour is a close friend who has a car I borrow for big stuff and getaway trips. www.zipcar.com and www.autoshare.com are fantastic and all over the place.

3. I think it’s overrated as a place to visit. It’s best pleasures are hidden and need a lot of time and exploration to be discovered.

As a place to live it’s actually quite great if you like peace and order. Of course the weather is Canadian with all the good and Hellish that comes with that. The winters can be very cold, concretey, black and awful. Ways to cope: skating at one of the gazillon outdoor rinks, trips to Muskoka, Algonquin, etc., a warm weather getaway, a cozy pub.

4. I don’t use the TTC to commute to work and I still end up using it quite a bit. If you like going out and doing things you’re probably going to be using it a lot.

5. Other sites I particularly love: paddletoronto.com torontoist.com newmindspace.com blogto.com spacing.ca

Of course the weather is Canadian with all the good and Hellish that comes with that. The winters can be very cold, concretey, black and awful. Ways to cope: skating at one of the gazillon outdoor rinks, trips to Muskoka, Algonquin, etc., a warm weather getaway, a cozy pub.

Though how would winters be in mid-Ohio by comparison? Somehow, I can see a lot of the Midwest being particularly exposed and blizzard-y...in much the same way it can be prone to tornadoes on occasion...

1. Do you need a car
For the most part, unless you're right in the heart of downtown, yes. I'll hazard to guess that Toronto has a higher population of people who either don't own cars or don't use them often than other cities, but I wouldn't expect anybody to not use one.

That said, transit's rapidly improving in the entire GTA. In a few years time, it'll be pretty easy to get from point A to point B by transit. It may not be quite as fast or effective as a car, but the future will bring more improvements, and I guess if you have your reasons, you'll be able to get by?

I either use a backpack or a basket I can stick on the back of my bike. In the deep suburbs, it can be a bit of a drain to not get them by car though. For a lot of groceries, I resort to cloth or canvas bags that I seem to have everywhere :p

3. Is it overrated
To be honest, I don't think it's overrated at all. Toronto's got a lot of good things going for it, and for the most part those things are only going to get better.

I actually use transit a lot. I know the TTC's built a very reliable system. They're making a lot of improvements (though unfortunately the majority of it is LRTs that shall not be discussed further in this thread,) which should make Transit even more used than it is now, which is rather high for a North American city (The TTC is the 3rd most used system, even though Toronto's like the 5th or 6th largest North American city, and I have to admit, they don't try very hard to keep that up.)

Hmm, I'm not sure what important things there are.

For you suckers who can't figure out how to buy groceries:

go-cart.jpg

You're welcome.

And otherwise, you can always grocery-shop the Euro way by not making big $100+ purchases at a time, but smaller trips for fresh items (or whatever) daily...

Although if you're single, it's often cheaper just to eat out twice a day, and buy your breakfast stuff, milk, bread and fresh fruit at No Frills or whatever trendy organic shop you live near.

What do Toronto ppl do this weekend? Well, the Junction Arts Festival tonight was brilliant, with Jason Collett and Justin Rutledge on stage with hundreds of Junctionites in the audience...check it out tomorrow as well!

S.W.A.P at the Raging Spoon on Queen West was a crazy success, go check it out Sunday PM if you're into checking out hot girls.:D

I sold my car years ago and don't regret it for a moment. When I visit my family up north I use Autoshare which my building participates in and off I go, reasonable and hassle free. Anything large that I order can be delivered now days, often with no fee. I like cooking and eat at home most of the time so I do a large grocery shop once or sometimes twice a month using a fold-up cart similar to what is pictured below. Beware of cheap imitations at bargain stores, they won't last and cannot carry more than a 20-30 pound load or the wheels will collapse (been there, done that!). The largest size of a good quality cart will set you back about $60 plus $10 for a quality plastic insert (Dudley's, Church Street or Canuk Tire). Groceries can be efficiently packed into the cart and you don't need to pay for for those dreaded plastic grocery bags. These carts last about 3-4 years. I also keep two fabric bags in my knapsack for when I stop off at Metro, Sobey's etc. when I buy things like milk, fruit, vegetables, fresh fish & other day-to-day items.

Easy!

51VERBKQUdL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

1. Do you need a car
Depends where you intend to live. In general I would say a car would help, and could be mandatory depending on your lifestyle. If you planned on living in the greater downtown, you may want to look into getting a small displacement motorcycle or scooter. The licensing on scooters is easy, and they are much quicker than the streetcars.
The best solution to that would most likely be using a car-sharing program. Making frequent smaller trips is in many cases an inefficient use of time and energy. Best to periodically go to Costco or Walmart to stock up on staple non-perishables while using a local joint to frequently stock up on things like milk, meat and fruit. For larger non-food items, internet shopping is the way to go. Many places offer free shipping anyways.
3. Is it overrated
Depends. If you are coming from a town where everyone thinks of TO as a polluted crime filled cesspool, then no. It is actually a pretty nice city. If you have been told that TO is the greatest city since sliced bread and everything is wonderful here, probably.
Daily. It is a godsend for commuting if you work or plan on going to school near a subway. Its utility drops fairly quickly when you neither live nor work near a subway, or have to travel outside of peak-hours.
Don't get sucked into the myth of urban Toronto. It's a nice place, but if you want to live south of Bloor you will pay a big premium for it. Depends heavily on your social life and goals, but you can live a pretty comfortable life outside of downtown as well. A lot of people will disparage a location like North York Center, but there is definitely something to be said for it.

I when lived alone a short 1 month ago. I found it much easlier, costing the same however, to simply eat out twice a day (lunch & dinner).

Breakfast however if up to you. If you're like me then you probably will take the 5 minutes for food and reinvest it into sleep.

But that's up to you.

I tend to compare Toronto's transit with that of Beijings, in which case Toronto get it's butt handed back to it flipped inside out. But when you compare it with other places' like London, Ontario, the TTC is truly an amazing thing.

I confess that I haven't lived in Toronto with out a car since I learned to drive so my opinions on transit should be taken lightly. However Toronto is heavily investing in its transit infrastructure, including some very nice LRT lines being built north of the immidiate downtown.

If you like to do your shopping once a week. In certain street coners there are pay by the hour rental cars that you can take out for a very reasonable cost. So if you do plan to shop at Costco the suburban style, then renting a car by the hour can always be an option. Google Autoshare for more information.

As for it being overrated. No, I find Toronto to be one of the few underrated places in the world. There are many things that Toronto has to offer that the city just doesn't bother advertising, like the entire Don Valley Park lands that extands from the lakeshore all the way up almost to the northern edge of Toronto. There are people who's lived in Toronto all their lives whom doesn't truly know the true scale of this park.

Last edited:

Back