News   May 17, 2024
 2.5K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Wente: The war against the car will never succeed

Isn't the point of Wente's article ultimately that "smugness pays off?" I mean, here she is, "senior columnist" at "Canada's Newspaper of Record," laying down the point of view that matters, and everyone is yapping about it.

That's what it's all about: it's what sells newspapers, which is what sells advertising, which is what puts money in the pockets of the corporation, which is why they will keep hiring Wente, regardless of her clownishness.

I'm not saying that if you ignore her she'll go away, but I am saying that as far as her position is concerned, the more controversy she can be said to stir up, the better.

Rather than argue her points or her loony fringe views (sorry, I mean her "logical and correct take on society"), it might be more pointed to attack her methodology. For example, the fact that she found an eight-year-old interview with Peter Gordon, conducted by the american magazine "Reason," an presented a quote from the interview without citing the source or the date of the interview. In other words, she made out as if the research were her own, and was of a recent vintage.

If I had done this, I would live in mortal fear that someone would find me out. As a professional writer, I would be preparing my resignation. I would be grovelling before my editor begging for a second chance, promising never to plagiarize again. I would have written a complete explanation for my sins to be published in my next column.

Not sure if Wente has the balls for that though. I suspect it's just water off a duck's back with her. In fact, if you look at her column of last saturday, it was as if no one had noticed.

For more on this matter, take a look here: 64.233.167.104/search?q=c...=clnk&cd=5 and here: allderdice.ca/?p=146

Thanks Blobby. Good insight into the workings of the beast.

Care to register? We don't bite!

In addition to leaving the misleading impression that she interviewed Peter Gordon for her piece, and that it is therefore a recent quote, it is sloppy journalism to use an eight year old quote about an evolving field like transit funding.

Back