News   Jul 31, 2024
 416     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 624     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 497     0 

Wedding reception location ideas

I think the main issue Minks77 is concerned with is cost.

If I ever have a proper marriage ceremony and reception (doubtful, I'd prefer to elope) I'd want to do it as cheaply as possible. By cheap, I mean for under $1000. Minks77 probably has less than $5000 to spend all inclusive. I applaud such a plan--why waste money on f&f? My small town Ontario locations are probably much cheaper options than GTA ripoffs.

One option to consider is doing a Sunday morning wedding. You can usually get good discounts doing that.

My wife and I did this at the Old Mil (I realize it's a fairly traditional choice) but we saved quite a bit of money on the meal (a very nice buffet style lunch with four choices of main dishes was only $30/head including use of the facility) and the photographer (10% discount for Sunday). Doing it at the Old Mill also let us avoid paying for a limo, since we used their chapel (a necessity for a Sunday wedding, really) and had the photos done in their gardens.

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone for all the suggestions! I've looked everywhere and pretty much narrowed it down to two places, the Miller Lash House (the house itself and not the tent) and Todmorden Mills. Does anyone have any reviews, suggestions or criticisms about either of those? I can't find anything online about TM.

Hey thanks for getting back, esp with all the pics!

We decided to use Todmorden Mills Papermill Gallery. I'm a visual artist and paper is my favourite medium and I like the historic aspect. Only pain is that you can't have access to the space before 5 pm. M'eh, no biggie. Got everything set-up and just waiting. There's another wedding happening in mid July that I plan to gently crash to see if there are any issues that I'm not already aware of!

The Canadian Opera Company at 227 front has some great reception spaces.
http://coc.ca/AboutTheCOC/FacilityRentals.aspx
TOC01.jpg

toc03.jpg

Hey just wanted to close up this thread now that I've gotten married.

First off, Todmorden Mills was an excellent venue. The grounds are beautiful (despite the construction), it's fairly downtempo, the gallery was great, most of the staff were very helpful (one bookyak, but I'm not gonna goo there) and it was original and not bank breaking. Despite not being able to setup before 5 pm everything went smooth as can be and it looked great!

Major, major props go out to my caterer Noble Culinary Creations Catering. The food was awesome, everyone loved it (literally not a single complaint despite fussy eaters, various religious and allergy considerations etc.), the staff were incredible and they handled so much more than just the catering. They did most of the set-up and take down, helped coordinate EVERYTHING, and basically ensured we had nothing to do but enjoy ourselves. I can't express just how wonderful they all were, especially Tina who was awesome. I was delighted. IF you are looking for a great caterer for your event I highly recommend Noble.

Lastly I wanted to thank everyone here for all your suggestions, photos, thoughts and ideas. The power of community in the age of the internet is amazing. Thanks for sharing gang!

Back