News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 652     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 984     0 

We need a ferry godmother to help us get to the island

I think we should keep some of the ferries for people who want direct access from the central waterfront to Hanlan's Pt and Centre Island, but maybe not Ward's Island, or make service to Ward's less frequent, or part of a Queen's Quay-Centre Is-Ward's loop ... and build a movable link such as a swing bridge or bascule bridge between Cherry Beach/Unwin Ave and Ward's Island that is open to pedestrians and bikes. If there needs to be a charge to use the bridge to offset losses of ferry revenue, then the cost of using the bridge should be discounted with, or included in, the cost of TTC fare for whatever transit ultimately reaches the area on the mainland side, such as a Cherry St streetcar.

A bridge in the flight path of the expanded Billy Bishop Airport seems like a bad idea.
But what's the cost for a movable bridge to the islands? At least 2 lanes for cars/trucks (large enough for the tractor-trailers used for concerts) + walkway for pedestrians + bike lanes?

A bridge in the flight path of the expanded Billy Bishop Airport seems like a bad idea.
But what's the cost for a movable bridge to the islands? At least 2 lanes for cars/trucks (large enough for the tractor-trailers used for concerts) + walkway for pedestrians + bike lanes?

The flightpath issue depends on the height of the bridge. I'm not sure a bridge that caters to motor vehicle traffic is needed or wanted - how does concert equipment get there at present?

I don't really see how a bridge will be viable in the short run - access from the western end is impeded by YTZ, and building a bridge at the Eastern Channel would hardly improve accessibility given how inconvenient it is to get to the landing.

AoD

There's a bunch of people with bikes who would have no issues getting to the Eastern Channel.

It would also drive demand for increased TTC service on the Cherry Street route.

On the flip side, it would also make it easier to "drive" to the island by parking at Cherry Beach and walking to the islands from there.

The accessibility of the eastern side of the Eastern Gap depends in part on how that area is developed.

Hi all, I'm new here. I went to the Island the Monday of the May long weekend. We too encountered the sea of people at the ferry docks, but just down the way (west I think) there are water taxis that will take you over for a couple of dollars more than the ferry costs. No waiting at all!
This is how I get to the island, $10 with my bike. Best of all it's a one way trip, since you can ride the regular ferry on the return trip for free.

Not my page, but this is what I mean https://www.flickr.com/photos/grux/7801316788

Last edited:
But don't you still need a printer to produce a paper ticket? 1988, maybe.

Darn. I through my
high-speed.regular.png
out years ago.

WOW. The City moves into the 1990s. You can buy FERRY TICKETS online. See: https://secure.toronto.ca/FerryTicketOnline/tickets/index.jsp

I went to the island today. Where the tickets are taken the people who bought tickets there just had their tickets dropped into a bin. The people who had bought online tickets had to have them scanned with special scanners. It added a significant amount of time to the flow through that section. Particularity annoying when your ferry is there boarding and the ticket guy can't get the ticket of the customer in front of you to scan.

My guess is that would be pretty incompatible with an operational airport.

From the YTZ end of the island, sure not - but I am thinking more from the eastern side by the port, with a E-W path. That would save the trouble of having to build a rather long pedestrian bridge that would be high enough to allow shipping.

AoD

Making it high enough to allow shipping while being low enough to gain approval by the TPA seems impossible. We're talking about 38m/118' of clearance (using the Burlington Skyway as a guide). And the approach path for the airport goes right over the Eastern Gap.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am extremely skeptical that this would ever get approved.

The pedestrian bridge wouldn't have to be long at all. The Eastern Gap isn't that wide. And it would presumably be a lift bridge.

IMO, a Eastern Gap bridge should still be designed such that vehicles can use it for emergency services and other, regulated special uses.

Last edited:

Back