News   Jul 17, 2024
 69     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 703     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 530     0 

We HATE Toronto!

I HATE Toronto City Hall. I paid $27,000 in land transfer/property tax in 2008 and I moved 10 blocks to an area of the city that is a couple blocks away from crack central (Queen & Sherbourne) and an area where I can't drive 100 metres without hitting a pothole that can seriously damage my car. (Adelaide E, Richmond E, Church St, Jarvis St, Front St E etc...) It'd be lovely to see something fixed in my neighbourhood with all the money I (and other residents) have given the city. I understand that there are other more pressing issues in the city that my money is going to, however it would be great to see some things in the immediate community, taken care of. Perhaps the city could implement a system where the money from the land transfer tax goes towards the community in which the person has purchased a home.

Last edited:
I HATE Toronto City Hall. I paid $27,000 in land transfer/property tax in 2008 and I moved 10 blocks to an area of the city that is a couple blocks away from crack central (Queen & Sherbourne) and an area where I can't drive 100 metres without hitting a pothole that can seriously damage my car. (Adelaide E, Richmond E, Church St, Jarvis St, Front St E etc...) It'd be lovely to see something fixed in my neighbourhood with all the money I (and other residents) have given the city. I understand that there are other more pressing issues in the city that my money is going to, however it would be great to see some things in the immediate community, taken care of. Perhaps the city could implement a system where the money from the land transfer tax goes towards the community in which the person has purchased a home.

Hey, there's a lot of cool stuff in that area -- even if you don't like crack! East of Yonge downtown has been a great place to live, and keeps getting better.

I think you're probably overstating the state of the roads, as I drive them all a few times a week and don't notice much.

The idea that property taxes/land transfer taxes go to neighbourhood needs can be an appealing one, but it would really put the screws to low-income areas that don't pay a lot (or any) tax.

Hey, there's a lot of cool stuff in that area -- even if you don't like crack! East of Yonge downtown has been a great place to live, and keeps getting better.

I think you're probably overstating the state of the roads, as I drive them all a few times a week and don't notice much.

The idea that property taxes/land transfer taxes go to neighbourhood needs can be an appealing one, but it would really put the screws to low-income areas that don't pay a lot (or any) tax.

Shouldn't a Low Income Area look like Low Income Area? Whatever happened to authenticity? People want something real. Even if it's dreadful and dangerous.

A Potemkin Village will always be a Potemkin Village and anyone with half a brain could see that. Especially if you live in one.

OK, I've posted a video of my getting lost on the mean streets of South Chicago. (In 2 parts) We stayed on the main roads and large commercial streets the whole time but it's the small, residential side streets you have to look at, for the really scary stuff, although some of the main streets looked kinda scary too. We were driving around lost and trying to find a turn on to a highway for 2 hours and my boyfriend was nervous as hell, the whole time. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvRjTulv4Ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu56kLZUN70

And one from North Chicago too. (Lincoln Park to Astor Street)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwg1SJG6N5Q

Last edited:
Last edited:
OK, I've posted a video of my getting lost on the mean streets of South Chicago. (In 2 parts) We stayed on the main roads and large commercial streets the whole time but it's the small, residential side streets you have to look at, for the really scary stuff, although some of the main streets looked kinda scary too. We were driving around lost and trying to find a turn on to a highway for 2 hours and my boyfriend was nervous as hell, the whole time. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvRjTulv4Ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu56kLZUN70

And one from North Chicago too. (Lincoln Park to Astor Street)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwg1SJG6N5Q

Okay, south Chicago really doesn't look that bad :)
Maybe it's a lot different in person. There are a few parts that look way sketchier then anything here but other then that it doesn't look too different ... then again I don't know what the feel of the neighborhood is. One thing I'll say is even in our poorest areas, old regent park - jane and finch (this probably isn't even that poor). I really don't feel that bad walking in them during the day time and even night time!

Anyway didn't look bad at all.

North Chicago reminded me of parts of Toronto, nice!

SF was made famous by the Golden Gate Bridge and then by Alfred Hitchcock's film Vertigo and then by the TV show Full House.

You see, these things make a hugeeeeee difference!!
It's not like Toronto has nothing. Lets not forget Cube, either

Toronto does, but the things I mentioned showed the city at its pure beauty.

Especially Vertigo, it make SF look much better then it really does. I went there and I though we had homeless problems... :rolleyes:

read a post earlier in this thread comparing toronto to hk, paris, london, tokyo, ny; which is quite absurd. Toronto is a spec of dust relative to those cities.

I feel that toronto has great potential but it is not and has never been comparable to any of the above cities. those cities are historical powerhouses. toronto is just a simple city in a simple country that can potential be great. lots of work needs to be done. One cant recreate history but you can start building for the future.

1 - fresh buildings, designs. not the bland nonsense currently being built
2 - strong diversified economy.
3 - selective immigration rules - applies to Canada in general
(its currently an embarassement).
4 - sports - for a big city TO sure isnt good at anything anymore. having at least 1 good sports team goes along way to build pride as someone said before.

to be honest, i cant see anything chanigng in the next 2-10yrs because TO is not an extreme type city. i personally dont think anyone in the country/city has the balls to make/approve anything unique or creative. we need to go import some real design talent from dubai, tokyo, hk.
will it ever happen? i hope so. highly doubt it - its the canadian business model.

we sit, wait and hope things turn out well. its the same way our canadian banks, oil firms are run.

Last edited:
Design talent from Dubai eh?

If that's what's considered talent now a days I hope we keep on putting plain old boxes up. But to each his own as I always say.

Either way let's not forget buildings are by no means what most citizens care about, by far!!!

A lot of people who go to New York comment about the amount and height of buildings but that's it, not much about the design or anything else. You only get that when your talking about something with history.

All that should matter is streets that form due to new construction, the new cultural institutions we build (improve current ones) the connectivity of our waterfront ... and the like.

Know one is visiting Dubai because of all the buildings they're building.
It's what goes in them that counts.

And if you've every been to Dubai (I have, on a few occasions), which I doubt you'll know there's no thought of the street scape there ... no one walks around even in the winter when it's nice outside in the *new* built up part of the city. It's terrible. I'm surprised there are even side walks in some areas.

Either way we can't compete with them in terms of buildings - we need to focus on what we can do well.

read a post earlier in this thread comparing toronto to hk, paris, london, tokyo, ny; which is quite absurd. Toronto is a spec of dust relative to those cities.

I feel that toronto has great potential but it is not and has never been comparable to any of the above cities. those cities are historical powerhouses. toronto is just a simple city in a simple country that can potential be great. lots of work needs to be done. One cant recreate history but you can start building for the future.

1 - fresh buildings, designs. not the bland nonsense currently being built
2 - strong diversified economy.
3 - selective immigration rules - applies to Canada in general
(its currently an embarassement).
4 - sports - for a big city TO sure isnt good at anything anymore. having at least 1 good sports team goes along way to build pride as someone said before.

to be honest, i cant see anything chanigng in the next 2-10yrs because TO is not an extreme type city. i personally dont think anyone in the country/city has the balls to make/approve anything unique or creative. we need to go import some real design talent from dubai, tokyo, hk.
will it ever happen? i hope so. highly doubt it - its the canadian business model.

we sit, wait and hope things turn out well. its the same way our canadian banks, oil firms are run.

Hey, don't try to be sly with your #3 there -- "selective immigration rules." Can you explain that one in a little more depth? How are Canada's current immigration policies hurting Toronto?

Regarding #4 you don't really control that. Teams will have there ups and downs.

It wasn't so long ago the leafs were first in their division and made the playoffs every year (yes they didn't win anything :D)

Hopefully the raptors are getting there too although it's a bumpy road.

Blue Jays need to rebuild.

At this rate I think all our teams might hit it strong at the same time.

While I don't have a beef with the idea that Tokyo, etc., are world cities that are simply in a different league from Toronto, I did find the list of things amusing when applied to those other cities. Tokyo for instance, is absolutely full of "bland nonsense" and I found its built environment overwhelmingly dull (as in any city, there are great buildings, so please don't start searching the web and posting them - I'm talking about the overall environment here). I also found Tokyo to have very limited and poorly thought out public spaces likes squares and parks. Of course, it's very, very good at commercial districts, incomparable really, but one gets tired of shopping, or at least I do.

The selective immigration rules that you want would likely to be harmful if implemented, if developed. Not to bash Tokyo again, but the decreasing and ageing Japanese population, timidly conservative about change, and frankly racist towards foreigners, strikes me as a worse situation by far than whatever it is you don't like about our current immigration policy.

New York's apogee of power occured when it was the world's immigrant city. Since WWII, when that started to shift, New York has seen its relative position decline. Not sure where you are going with the immigration thing, but it seems to me you are mistaken about it.

Sports I am indifferent to, completely, but if it matters to you, then fine. I do note that according to this site, we are second in North America in championships, but as you note, not so much lately. I really don't think this is a measure of much at all.

As for a strong, diversified economy, that's a bit hard to find these days, almost anywhere, no?

My point, as always, is that by giving a free ride to other cities while criticizing things in Toronto you develop a paralyzing inferiority complex. Not really necessary.

While I don't have a beef with the idea that Tokyo, etc., are world cities that are simply in a different league from Toronto, I did find the list of things amusing when applied to those other cities. Tokyo for instance, is absolutely full of "bland nonsense" and I found its built environment overwhelmingly dull (as in any city, there are great buildings, so please don't start searching the web and posting them - I'm talking about the overall environment here). I also found Tokyo to have very limited and poorly thought out public spaces likes squares and parks. Of course, it's very, very good at commercial districts, incomparable really, but one gets tired of shopping, or at least I do.

Actually there are a lot of large parks around Tokyo. You just have to know where it's located. Some big ones that come to mind is the big grass area at the Imperial Palace (Chiyoda district), There's also a park at Shinjuku (Garden - gotta pay nominal fee to get in), Meiji Shrine is located in a park with tall trees near Harajuku. If you walk further down to Eibisu, there's Eibusu Garden. It's more like a square. There's also another somewhat square at Shibuya near the pedestrian scramble. Also Odaiba is a nice place to hang out at after shopping and movies at Shiodome.

Ueno Park in Ueno. There's a park at Kichijouji (where ghlibli museum is located). Talking about squares, I think there's a square in ikebukuro area too. I remember seeing the location in a drama. "ikebukuro west gate park"

They have a lot of green spaces.
http://www.japan-hotel-reservations.net/japan_map/tokyo_japan_map_detail.html

Last edited:
The issue is not that Tokyo doesn't have green spaces, but that when I saw them they were underused, poorly designed, and generally had a bereft air to them. The outer garden of the Imperial palace was clean, but uninspiring, and in the middle of a beautiful day had no people.

Strangely, given that you pay to get in, the Shinjinku garden was one of the worst tended, with muddy pathways, sickly shrubbery, and a generally unused feeling to it.

But hey, it's Tokyo, and I did love the city for its vibrancy, charming people, and small lanes everywhere with shops and museums. Right by the Shinjuku I saw the great Nagakin Capsule building. So much pleasure the city gave me. But parks, not really.

Now Boston, London, Vancouver - they know parks.

Back