Waterworks (MOD Developments) - Real Estate -

My floors have been a disaster since day 1. I have it as a deficiency in my PDI and my 30 day. I have sent countless emails complaining. I spent a lot of money on upgraded hardwood floors that have buckled in many places. I have had a humidifier running constantly. The long and short of it is that the floors are suppose to be able to deal with a relative humidity of 65%. My floors have buckled consistently at 45%. What they are counting on is waiting until winter when the air will be very dry. The problem will be less visible.
That's awful, sorry to hear you are having the same issue. Is it really hot in your unit all of the time?

For those with flooring issues................

Let me start by saying that I am not expert in this; but having put in my own floor (and not having it buckle) in high humidity......I have some thought that the advice I've rec'd over the years is sound.

I understand that this is the work of the builder here, and not personally chosen contractors.

That said, this sounds to me like room for expansion of the floors was either not correct (amount of space), or handled incorrectly. Its something I would suggest you examine/consider.

You may wish to hire your own expert simply to evaluate what was done, to understand what went wrong. This can strengthen your case to the builder; and help make sure 'fixes' are done properly; or at least
give you an understanding of what you may need to do to fix it.

All wood floors, even laminate, need some expansion space. The question is how much, where, and how is that handled relative to things like baseboards.

This is a good primer on the issue I would recommend.

Here's another slightly simpler one:

Best of luck to all in resolving their issues.

For those with flooring issues................

Let me start by saying that I am not expert in this; but having put in my own floor (and not having it buckle) in high humidity......I have some thought that the advice I've rec'd over the years is sound.

I understand that this is the work of the builder here, and not personally chosen contractors.

That said, this sounds to me like room for expansion of the floors was either not correct (amount of space), or handled incorrectly. Its something I would suggest you examine/consider.

You may wish to hire your own expert simply to evaluate what was done, to understand what went wrong. This can strengthen your case to the builder; and help make sure 'fixes' are done properly; or at least
give you an understanding of what you may need to do to fix it.

All wood floors, even laminate, need some expansion space. The question is how much, where, and how is that handled relative to things like baseboards.

This is a good primer on the issue I would recommend.

Here's another slightly simpler one:

Best of luck to all in resolving their issues.
At this stage, the builder is acting in bad faith. They are fully aware of the problem and have chosen to frustrate any reasonable remedies. I am thinking that there needs to be some sort of collective action. It is absolutely essential that we get the right people on the condo board as soon as possible. Does anyone know when our turnover meeting will be held? It is suppose to be 21 days after closing. We need directors that are willing to be rather adversarial with the builder. The deficiencies at this stage are manifold. Our warranty clock is now ticking on things that haven't actually been delivered. As I have often said on this forum, this rushed through sloppy registration was good for the builder but pretty lousy for us owners.

That's awful, sorry to hear you are having the same issue. Is it really hot in your unit all of the time?
ash_p , I don't have a significant heat issue. Still high heat should have a desiccating effect. I assume that your unit must have a southern exposure. The long and short of this is that the builder rushed through the installation of the flooring without due care. In the rush to get registered and to get paid they got very sloppy. We can see evidence of this through out the building.

Anyone have a picture of the floors? Are they laminate or engineered hardwood.
I would rather not show photos of my interior but I purchased engineered hardwood. My girlfriends went with the laminate. Both have buckled. The problem is ubiquitous. TheKingEast, do you have a unit in the building?.

ash_p , I don't have a significant heat issue. Still high heat should have a desiccating effect. I assume that your unit must have a southern exposure. The long and short of this is that the builder rushed through the installation of the flooring without due care. In the rush to get registered and to get paid they got very sloppy. We can see evidence of this through out the building.
I agree. My unit faces north and I am on the 4th floor. Apart from the floor, I didn't have too many major issues and was quite happy with the quality of the work. (and I'm super picky) However, my family also own a unit on the 8th floor and that unit had so many sloppy things. They obviously got sloppier as they went up and time was ticking!

I would rather not show photos of my interior but I purchased engineered hardwood. My girlfriends went with the laminate. Both have buckled. The problem is ubiquitous. TheKingEast, do you have a unit in the building?.

I just wanted to see an example of the flooring to get an idea of how bad it is. I don't own a unit, wish I did. Overall great project.

for those that are saying the floors and buckling, what exactly are you referring to? Is the floor lifting? Or are there ‘dead spots’ (i.e. you put you foot down and it sinks a bit)?

Like @TheKingEast I do not own a unit here but I am an active condo investor and have interest in this building. If anyone would like to share a picture here or via DM, please do.

It appears that the turnover meeting will be on 14th December. Anyone here thinking of running for a spot on the board?

Does anyone else find the fire alarm to be a bit excessive. Aside from being extremely loud, the strobe light seemed like a bit of overkill. Previous building I have lived in have not had strobe lights and they have also had a silence button. Seems like this building does not have that feature. Does anyone know if it can be silenced in any way or the flashing lights can be turned off?

Does anyone else find the fire alarm to be a bit excessive. Aside from being extremely loud, the strobe light seemed like a bit of overkill. Previous building I have lived in have not had strobe lights and they have also had a silence button. Seems like this building does not have that feature. Does anyone know if it can be silenced in any way or the flashing lights can be turned off?
This is just a guess, but are the strobe lights a new accessibility requirement, perhaps you could cover the lights if you aren't hard of hearing?

for those that are saying the floors and buckling, what exactly are you referring to? Is the floor lifting? Or are there ‘dead spots’ (i.e. you put you foot down and it sinks a bit)?

Like @TheKingEast I do not own a unit here but I am an active condo investor and have interest in this building. If anyone would like to share a picture here or via DM, please do.
My floor was kinda lifting in a couple of spots... as in there was a big air bubble under a couple of areas. I do have pics but you can't really tell from the pics. I can show you a pic of the shitty "repair"?

My floor was kinda lifting in a couple of spots... as in there was a big air bubble under a couple of areas. I do have pics but you can't really tell from the pics. I can show you a pic of the shitty "repair"?

Thanks for that. I was hoping to hear MOD was doing their best to rectify but that doesn’t appear to be the case - I certainly will think twice about buying with them in the future. Things like this come up with new construction - I’ve seen a lot. B it the true mark of a solid builder is not only allowing this to happen, but how quickly they can amend such issues. I really feel for the owners here I hope this can be resolved for you all, such a gorgeous building otherwise

Back