News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 859     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

A provincial edict requiring municipalities to meet their growth needs through densification, as opposed to sprawl, would sure make the difference. Oh, wait…..

- Paul
Waterloo Region fought off an OLT case years ago from developers wanting to sprawl outside their Regional Plan's Countryside Line. Density and intensification has been the regional and municipal mandates for a decade now. It's part of the central tentant of the ION project to begin with.

Waterloo Region fought off an OLT case years ago from developers wanting to sprawl outside their Regional Plan's Countryside Line. Density and intensification has been the regional and municipal mandates for a decade now. It's part of the central tentant of the ION project to begin with.
OLT usually follows the provincial plans but the conditions have changed. Recent provincial legislation has forced municipalities to expand urban boundaries to include nearby farmlands I believe.

OLT usually follows the provincial plans but the conditions have changed. Recent provincial legislation has forced municipalities to expand urban boundaries to include nearby farmlands I believe.

Indeed. The latest Ontario growth plans have backpedaled the focus on density (outside of transit areas) and are actively encouraging sprawl. Deeply upsetting.

Indeed. The latest Ontario growth plans have backpedaled the focus on density (outside of transit areas) and are actively encouraging sprawl. Deeply upsetting.
Off-topic, but can municipalities set their own greenfield density targets? The provincial requirements have been declining since the Liberals made it 70-80 pp/ha, but if municipalities enforce such densities instead then sprawl can be mitigated. I think a lot of the culture around curbing sprawl has made its way to municipalities outside the 905, especially in Waterloo, Hamilton, etc. so this might be popular.

More on-topic… I think a Cambridge iON could potentially be a seperate service disconnected from the existing line. I’d propose a local LRT running from Hespeler (the town) to downtown Galt. I would then save connecting the two LRTs for a future phase that could also involve speeding up the slowest sections on the KW line- an “express” LRT. Fixes the speed issues of today that would hold back full Waterloo-Cambridge trips if built as proposed. Also distributes the cost over a longer timeframe.

Although, it is seriously worth asking if this money be better spent on creating two tram-train “interurban” lines between Kitchener-Guelph and Cambridge-Guelph along the available rail corridors.

Off-topic, but can municipalities set their own greenfield density targets? The provincial requirements have been declining since the Liberals made it 70-80 pp/ha, but if municipalities enforce such densities instead then sprawl can be mitigated. I think a lot of the culture around curbing sprawl has made its way to municipalities outside the 905, especially in Waterloo, Hamilton, etc. so this might be popular.

Some Southern Ontario municipalities have done just this, committing to density targets and restrictions on sprawl that exceed provincial requirement right up to meeting virtually all of their growth through infill only.

The problem is that in a legal environment where municipalities are creations of the province, there is lots of room for municipal decisions to be eroded either by provincal direction or through litigation. The province of late has shown its hand and is clearly willing to undercut such densification- and for no apparent good reason other than just to make rich developers (who seem to be Ford's closest friends and role models) richer.

Although, it is seriously worth asking if this money be better spent on creating two tram-train “interurban” lines between Kitchener-Guelph and Cambridge-Guelph along the available rail corridors.

There is always that appeal but one has to be careful not to let past precedents - or pure nostalgia - override good decisionmaking. Those old rail corridors exist, but they don't really go where transit ought to be routed going forward, and the cost of building to a co-existing rail-transit corridor might approach the cost of building new dedicated LRT, if the right routes are chosen.

- Paul

Some Southern Ontario municipalities have done just this, committing to density targets and restrictions on sprawl that exceed provincial requirement right up to meeting virtually all of their growth through infill only.

The problem is that in a legal environment where municipalities are creations of the province, there is lots of room for municipal decisions to be eroded either by provincal direction or through litigation. The province of late has shown its hand and is clearly willing to undercut such densification- and for no apparent good reason other than just to make rich developers (who seem to be Ford's closest friends and role models) richer.

There is always that appeal but one has to be careful not to let past precedents - or pure nostalgia - override good decisionmaking. Those old rail corridors exist, but they don't really go where transit ought to be routed going forward, and the cost of building to a co-existing rail-transit corridor might approach the cost of building new dedicated LRT, if the right routes are chosen.

- Paul
Well in this case the routings would be fine, the tracks for each pair go from downtown to downtown. But additional track may be necessary where there isn’t room today. I figure it as an alternative to a GO branch to Cambridge as well. I don’t envision a true interurban, just something that covers the short but prevalent intercity trips between the cities.

And as for land use, theoretically then developers could appeal a project at the OLT to build at a lower density than what the city requires. I can’t envision a situation where a developer would even want that, which is why I find the changing of minimum densities so strange. That’s less returns on the same initial plot of land, no?

The people speak.

Well in this case the routings would be fine, the tracks for each pair go from downtown to downtown. But additional track may be necessary where there isn’t room today. I figure it as an alternative to a GO branch to Cambridge as well. I don’t envision a true interurban, just something that covers the short but prevalent intercity trips between the cities.

And as for land use, theoretically then developers could appeal a project at the OLT to build at a lower density than what the city requires. I can’t envision a situation where a developer would even want that, which is why I find the changing of minimum densities so strange. That’s less returns on the same initial plot of land, no?
The interurban first option DOES have an interesting possibility for making “Hespeler Rd only” viable. Tram trains from Guelph, running down a shared bus / tram ROW on Hespeler to Galt would be a meaningful enhancement to Ion BRT, get the Guelph service running, commit to LRT eventually and do it all without the really big ticket infrastructure pieces on Stage 2.

With that said, the record has the gist right. A connection on the central corridor IS needed, and it’s only going to get more costly. This shouldn’t have been decoupled in any substantial way from the original project, and delaying now serves only to botch Ion overall, hurt regional land use plans and damage the credibility of any staged transit plans provincewide.

The interurban first option DOES have an interesting possibility for making “Hespeler Rd only” viable. Tram trains from Guelph, running down a shared bus / tram ROW on Hespeler to Galt would be a meaningful enhancement to Ion BRT, get the Guelph service running, commit to LRT eventually and do it all without the really big ticket infrastructure pieces on Stage 2.

With that said, the record has the gist right. A connection on the central corridor IS needed, and it’s only going to get more costly. This shouldn’t have been decoupled in any substantial way from the original project, and delaying now serves only to botch Ion overall, hurt regional land use plans and damage the credibility of any staged transit plans provincewide.
Agree on everything but the last bit, since the iON is heavily region-led compared to most of the projects being built across the province. It will send a message that cities cannot build transit without the province, however, who has a much higher tolerance for exorbitant costs, and it’s own agenda…

I'm glad the Guelph link was brought up because it feels as if the plan for it was brought forward, seemed to have a modest cost associated, but was deferred until some vague post-Cambridge LRT future and shelved. My understanding is that Hespeler is largely a commuter suburb that's eastward-facing toward the GTA and giving it a quick and easy link to the Kitchener line feels like a no brainer. Sure it doesn't necessarily connect the region, but we also run the risk of siloing transit as a region by region thing. Cambridge and Guelph are neighbouring cities, after all, and much like Cambridge and Brantford (or Cambridge and anywhere, really) it's disappointing they're not properly connected.

If Cambridge wants LRT, then run it down the middle of the street like Kitchener. Or simply between Preston and Galt, rather than diverting up to Hesleper.

Back