News   Jul 16, 2024
 685     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 605     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 745     2 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

That's two swing ridings. Kitchener-Waterloo used to be a Liberal stronghold until Andrew Telegdi lost by 17 votes in the last election.

There's also a Conservative riding in Cambridge (Gary Goodyear announced the surprise funding), but with the year he's been having, it wouldn't surprise me if that didn't last. And Cambridge won't be getting LRT until half past who knows when, so that doesn't make much difference either.

I'm curious what they are planning in Kitchener though ... with that new bus terminal on Charles Street. Do they simply intend to have all downtown buses go to both stations? Or are they planning to route them all to the new intermodal terminal at King and Victoria; which mean that they don't go into downtown.

New terminal??? The terminal on Charles Street is 21 years old this year (it was built in 1988). However, as mentioned the GRT bus system is being resdesigned to feed the LRT line, many routes will be decentralised from the Downtown area and there will be less focus on providing timed transfers at a single location. Routes serving the downtown today could be reoriented to stations all the way from Grand River Hospital to Ottawa Street.

The Charles Street Terminal will likely close as a result of the opening of the LRT line. There seems to be considerable support for the idea of an intermodal station along with GO and VIA at King/Victoria. It also doesn't make much sense to have acess to only one-way LRT service from such a transportation hub. The city also wants the site redevloped into condos, office, retail etc.

Last edited:
Right ... the new terminal ... the one that's only 21 years old. As opposed to the old one on Duke Street. That terminal cost a fortune!

I hope that's sarcasim I detect :rolleyes:, under that definition of new everyone in their 20's is an infant. ;)

In terms of major bus terminals in Toronto - I can only think of 3 that are newer than that; Downsview, Don Mills, and the GO facility on Bay. Most are far older.

Region of Waterloo still has the same politician running the place, as when that was built. If they are going to replace their main terminal ever 25 years, there's a problem; though I don't think the Duke street terminal even lasted that long - though it was relatively inexpensive.

I didn't even know there was one on Duke Street--where was it?

The only other bus station I knew about was the one on King Street near the highway--where the senior's centre is now.

East side ... just south of Frederick if I remember correctly ... I think the building is still there ...

The lot bordered by Frederick, Duke, Weber, and Scott Streets is going to be the site of a new courthouse in a few years' time. I know a couple of smaller buildings, like the Victorian at Frederick and Weber, will be preserved.

Hadn't heard that. Just looked at Google. The old terminal took up much of the east side of Duke between Scott and Frederick (the real narrow lot next to Duke, not the big parking lot along Weber). The bus bays look like parking now, and the small terminal building - can't tell what it is. The old intercity terminal was I belive on Gaukel west of Charles, underneath the new terminal.

I just don't see how you bring the main terminal from Charles to Victoria; isn't that too far from downtown?

Back