News   Jul 15, 2024
 735     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 627     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

This is great progress. Next up are bigger cities like Hamilton and London to get LRT and we would then have a feeder system for VIA or HSR intercity rail. This is how we can wean our cities from car as the only travel mode. Transit needs to be connected and offer frequent service and be reliable.

This is great progress. Next up are bigger cities like Hamilton and London to get LRT and we would then have a feeder system for VIA or HSR intercity rail. This is how we can wean our cities from car as the only travel mode. Transit needs to be connected and offer frequent service and be reliable.

I really hate when "transit" and "LRT" are used interchangeably as if they were synonyms.

Reactions: rbt
I bet that the Ion will be on revenue service before the Confederation line.

I'm actually going to bet Confederation will open before Ion. Ottawa has been doing great work on their system, a significant portion of it is complete and being used to run test trains out of their OMSF, and those trains have been working well in testing from what I understand--that's a big difference from not having a single working train to even test. The remaining portions including the underground section are progressing well, vehicles are on schedule, etc. I really think they'll open in 2018.

At any rate, with 0 vehicles to even test right now, there's absolutely no possibility of Ion opening in 2017. It's just a question of which month in 2018 each service opens...assuming BBD doesn't delay Ion into 2019, which sounds ridiculous but honestly wouldn't surprise me anymore.

I think they are still building parts of the confederation line. Plus there isn't much to find of it on youtube besides a few random videos of the trains being tested in the open,

Yes, they are still building parts of it, but it's on schedule. They're supposed to be building parts of it, still, for their 2018 opening. I'm not sure why you're discarding the importance of the videos of trains being tested--does Ion have any such videos?

The difference is, yes, Ion has built almost all of their system in terms of track, vs. Ottawa still being under construction, but Ion doesn't have a single vehicle capable of running under its own power; 1) this is way behind schedule, and 2) there is no way of knowing when they will have a single working vehicle, let alone enough to start service. This is not a concern for Ottawa.

Actually, no. The Confederation Line was supposed to open for limited service by Canada day of 2017, but clearly that has not happened. Although I do understand that no penalties were given to the builders.

Can you cite a source on that? Every source I can find, doing Google searches even with a time limit on the date that results were posted, limiting things to 2010 at latest, searching for "confederation line opening 2017" and similar phrasing has yielded no results. I have found these results indicating that May 2018 has always been the plan:
  • Oct 27 2011: http://www.ligneconfederationline.c...nstruction-detours-final-report-27oct2011.pdf page 5 of PDF/Page 1 in document, under 1.2 "Light Rail Construction Schedule", says: "Early construction will be focused in the central area section of the LRT in order to avoid construction disruption during 2017, Canada’s 150th anniversary. The line is due to open in 2018"
  • Dec 5 2012: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-lrt-to-be-ready-by-2018-1.1144388 this is the closest thing I can find, it contains the statement "The construction schedule will see project construction mostly complete by the end of 2017, and in service by 2018. That means the project is not expected to be ready for Canada's 150th birthday celebrations in 2017." However, it does not state that it was ever expected to be in service 2017, simply stating that it won't be, and no source is given indicating it should have opened 2017. It may have been based off a misinterpretation of the previous source, thinking that having the downtown tunnel finished by July 2017 meant having service running
  • Apr 21 2017: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tart-may-7-2018-now-appears-delayed-1.4077136 date of May 7 2018 was found in documents, reportedly that exact date has always been the plan; now the May opening date is in question but they are sticking to 2018 firmly
So, as far back as October 2011 the plan was for 2018. I can't find anything farther back saying 2017. Ion however was always planned, from what I can tell, for late 2017, and was confirmed a while ago to be delayed to "Spring 2018" at the earliest, which covers March-June:
The first car, singular, arrived Feb 22 2017 when they were supposed to deliver cars plural in May 2017. Cars plural will not be a reality until "late August at earliest". This seriously throws into question having 100% of vehicles by the end of Dec 2017, as if BBD being the manufacturer didn't already make that an impossibility.

I'm maybe 50% confident on Confederation making May 2018 vs a delay of a month or two, but I'm 100% sure that Ion won't open May 2018. It's just not possible with these vehicle delays. Even the scheduled opening of Spring 2018 covers as late as ~June 20th, so the window is past Confederation's date and month. Practically speaking they actually have ZERO vehicles, not one, as 501 [edited] is incapable of running under its own power, so I think there's honestly good grounds to question 2018 as a whole.

Slightly off topic, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, here's Ottawa's Confederation Line with an honest-to-god train running on honest-to-god future-revenue trackage:

Last edited:
Actually, no. The Confederation Line was supposed to open for limited service by Canada day of 2017, but clearly that has not happened. Although I do understand that no penalties were given to the builders.
When Ottawa city council approved the contract to build the project in December 2012, it clearly states that service was to begin Spring 2018.

I think what you might be thinking of, is that they did commit to finish civil works in downtown Ottawa by July 1, 2017, in time for the 150th. But that's the station and tunnels. Not the track and electrification.

Reactions: jys
Practically speaking they actually have ZERO vehicles, not one, as 501B is incapable of running under its own power, so I think there's honestly good grounds to question 2018 as a whole.

It's just 501. Since the trains are double ended one end gets an A and the other a B to discern orientation. It also matches the way BBD letters the individual modules.

It's just 501. Since the trains are double ended one end gets an A and the other a B to discern orientation. It also matches the way BBD letters the individual modules.
There was an entire article in the Record that used 501B as the train number over and over again after the April Open House. It was painful to read.

It also states that it would be testing in May. No on-track testing has occurred yet.

Attachments

• Confederation Line.png
    Confederation Line.png
    315.3 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Back