News   Jul 15, 2024
 203     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 516     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 621     1 

Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 1 Study

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 203 72.5%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 20 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.7%

• Total voters
Trenching the through lanes of LSBW under that junction might solve a few problems with far less disruption to transit users, if we're gonna dig holes.

Not forgetting about the high water-table and the landfill. See link.

1000px-1906_Toronto_Harbour_map.png

Trenching the through lanes of LSBW under that junction might solve a few problems with far less disruption to transit users, if we're gonna dig holes.
That's not true during a heavy rainfall. They can't even solve the Simcoe street underpass flooding. All the parking lots under QQ was pumping water twice as hard and could hardly keep up with the raised Lake Ontario water level.

That's not true during a heavy rainfall. They can't even solve the Simcoe street underpass flooding. All the parking lots under QQ was pumping water twice as hard and could hardly keep up with the raised Lake Ontario water level.

Because they weren't designed for it - no doubt it can be done if it is a requirement from the get go - high water table is hardly unique to the city.

AoD

In my line of work, no evidence = no credibility.

And in the line of work that my and Drum's sources run in, if they are found to be the source than their ass gets canned.

Make your own conclusions as you wish. I for one make sure that my contacts stay protected. If you don't like that, then don't read my posts.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Presumably high water is as much an issue for a streetcar tunnel as a road one - thus "if we're digging holes"

One could argue that conjecture isn't terribly useful either.

We covered this before. Not everyone here is here a "source" of information. Many are here just to learn. And when a post is made with no reference or evidence to back it up, it stretches credibility. In my line of work, no evidence = no credibility.

I'm not inclined to hyperbole or vitriol.

I will say this, if you've been on this forum awhile; and you have............ the evidence that Drum is a quality source of information is overwhelming, and that is something of which you should be aware.

Those of us who have been on awhile and carefully read posts know what Drum does for a living and why he has access to the information he does. We are also very grateful that he shares that information or a great deal of it with us as a group.

If you were unsure of any of those things, it would have behooved you to be polite and respectful and perhaps make a discrete inquiry as to Drum's background.

Your comments did not meet that standard.

Presumably high water is as much an issue for a streetcar tunnel as a road one - thus "if we're digging holes"
Runoff water seems to be more of a problem. Simcoe flooded like 5 times since it opened two years ago but I don't recall the Bay tunnel flooding. Union station flooded once recently was another problem independent of weather. It's better to tunnel than to trench. Any tunnel would need to be close to the surface (so cut and cover) otherwise the risk flooding like the deep parking lots next to the lake.

Trenching Lake Shore I would think would be a lot more difficult, since you have turning movements and such that you would want to maintain. If you just did a straight underpass, you'd be forcing that turning movement traffic mostly onto Fort York Blvd, Fleet St, and Dan Leckie Way. Better to have the streetcar dip under the intersection IMO.

Trenching Lake Shore I would think would be a lot more difficult, since you have turning movements and such that you would want to maintain. If you just did a straight underpass, you'd be forcing that turning movement traffic mostly onto Fort York Blvd, Fleet St, and Dan Leckie Way. Better to have the streetcar dip under the intersection IMO.
there are six lanes at that point. I'm proposing that the four inside lanes go under Bathurst and the curb lanes be retained. Not implying it would be simple, just that the assumption shouldn't be held that if the traffic must be separated that the burden should fall on the streetcar to give way.

If you don't have evidence of you claims, don't post.

In which case the signal/noise ratio of the forum shrinks dramatically.

Sorry, this 'unofficial' scoop is often truly valuable. Some people with access develop credibility over time such that their unsubstantiated comments are trusted to be more than opinion or wishful thinking. Even access has degrees of credibility - sometimes the mechanic at Harvey shops has better data than management, sometimes it's the reverse. A really credible source isn't just passing on carhouse gossip.

When you are spectators to a process that is controlled by politicians and bureaucracy, this may be the only way to find out the real picture. If this sounds like inequality, suck it up.

- Paul

I'm not sure what is the more reasonable expectation - to be a member for such a long time as to figure out what people do for a living and only then acquire the trust for what they say, OR, to expect posters not to post conjecture? Seems to me the former is a high bar. The second is straightforward.

To be blunt, I don't give a shit and don't care what you think as well a few others as my info is first hand and real. My pool of source is getting smaller these days since they have move on for various reason and haven't replace them for various reasons.

I and others have sources that can't be exposed as to do so could lead to them loosing their job and I will not be responsible for it. In many cases we have to be careful how we word things so it can't be trace back to the party giving us the info in the first place. In some cases like this, we can releases some info, as it allow us to gauge the reactions and report back on the feed back, as well keep people up to date or aware what is coming.

You will be surprised who is who that post here and we all come various background and levels of government.

If you don't like what I post since you don't from day one, block my posting or don't read them since it will not matter to me in the first place.

For the record, I have work with Waterfront Toronto since 2004 on all transit planing with a lots of nights spent on the 13th floor of 20 Bay St, as well with the City of Toronto various EA's pertaining to the Waterfront.

Quite frankly, you want things on a sliver plater since you aren't willing to do the work yourself in the first place. More important, you are not willing to walk the mile to get things done since you aren't prepare to get your hands dirty or do the heavy lifting as well having this type of feed back thrown at you.

Come September, I expect to see you eat all your comments pertaining to the latest posting that I have posted.

In fact, I have accomplish more on my one finger than your 10 for posting here and only have to look at QQ and Cherry St to see it. Still waiting for QQE to be built. These are only a tip of things I have done since 2000 that make life a lot better for transit riders, let alone Urban.

Have a great July 1st and don't get your fingers blown off when setting the fireworks (mouth/fingers) off.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is the more reasonable expectation - to be a member for such a long time as to figure out what people do for a living and only then acquire the trust for what they say, OR, to expect posters not to post conjecture? Seems to me the former is a high bar. The second is straightforward.

gonna get really quiet around here with that rule, so I don't see it happening.

Also, many city agencies are closehold with their plans and present them as fait accompli - sometimes a leak to the internet helps get bad ideas stopped or at least blunted.

This is my interpretation of the Waterfront LRT from Long Branch Station to Union Station. It will also use the existing streetcar tracks from Humber Loop to Colborne Lodge where it will turn onto the Lake Shore and go past Ontario Place then on Fort York/Bremner into Union Station. I used the 512 St. Clair LRT stop spacing for the 508 Lake Shore LRT line also. I could make a map with longer spacing too.
BSDAJWn.png

Back