News   Jul 30, 2024
 977     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 660     0 

Walnut Hall: Historic building dies of neglect

Why is Hume citing MLG as hard to adapt to new uses? MLG is a multi-purpose building!

wylie, I think what he means is that MLG is a huge space that has to be used in its entirety while the Georgian townhouses could be much more easily converted to residences or smaller commercial property.

This is pretty tragic, but they were in a very advanced state of decay and it would have cost a fortune to bring back to life. I'm reminded of the BMV books store in the former Hungarian restaurant on Bloor which cost several millions to renovate. In that case, that building had the good fortune of being on a lively retail strip and having a new owner who had ambitious plans. The Shuter street townhomes were unloved in the wrong part of town. Their fate was as good as sealed.

From this mornings Toronto Star..

The timing does seem very suspicious..

Building in ruins, neighbours in shock-City still trying to locate owner of demolished heritage structure

Why a heritage building should suddenly collapse on a holiday weekend two months after its sale is striking one neighbour as suspicious.

An unknown owner acquired the property two months ago for $1.8 million, and workers have been coming and going, he said.

Early yesterday, after the rear walls started to cave in, an emergency city wrecking crew destroyed the downtown Georgian row house.

Gone is Walnut Hall, a once- stately structure of four brick homes designed in 1853 by locally renowned architect John Tully and finished in 1858, on the north side of Shuter St. and east of Jarvis St. at George St.

"I was shocked when the fire trucks started arriving Saturday afternoon (on reports bricks were falling)," said Bill Colvin, who lives nearby at Shuter and George Sts.

"The place sold a couple of months ago ... Workers were going in and out for the past several weeks," he said.

"I wouldn't speculate on (the collapse) at all – that's not my role," said Jim Laughlin, the city's deputy chief building official who ordered the demolition and supervised it from midnight until noon.

"What we found was a building collapsing. We had to take immediate action to render it safe."

The owner has not been immediately identified or located, Laughlin said, but will be stuck with the demolition bill.

Along with the heritage bricks, the hopes of local residents to see Walnut Hall restored also came falling down.

"We begged, we pleaded, we got angry, we protested at the committee of adjustment and the OMB (Ontario Municipal Board)," Garden City Residents Association president Eva Curlanis-Bart said of efforts to force a previous owner to uphold a restoration agreement.

"Of course, they won," she said of powers not committed to the building's preservation.

Walnut Hall, originally built as a three-storey row house for well-to-do residents, had gone famously neglected for years.

The RCMP, which once owned much of the block, left the building empty and unheated for two decades.

In 1996, the police sold the property and a number of residential lots behind it, fronting George St., to developer Joe Jonatan. He made it clear he wanted the lots more than the derelict building.

In 1997, the city designated Walnut Hall a heritage site, preventing its demolition.

An agreement was reached allowing Jonatan to build 10 semi-detached homes on the rear lots, providing that he redevelop Walnut Hall.

Blueprints prepared by Diamond and Schmitt Architects show Jonatan's plan for a condominium of some 52 units. The entire Walnut Hall façade was to be preserved and behind the structure was to rise a seven-storey glass tower.

It was never built. Jonatan could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Colvin, a vice-president of Lakeridge Health Network in Durham, said he moved to the immediate area partly because of improvements promised by the condo plan. He kept a copy of the blueprints.

Curlanis-Bart also said she and her husband bought one of the semi-detached homes in 1997 based partly on the total construction plan.

"We waited a year, two years, three years – nothing happened," she said.

Speaking for the association, she said city authorities "shouldn't have allowed these (semi-detached) houses to be built without first a commitment for the redevelopment."

The loss of Walnut Hall is significant, said Curlanis-Bart, an art historian. "It represented the beginning of urban development in the city of Toronto in the mid-19th century."

Count me as one of the 'shocked'. What a disgusting development. This building could have been so beautiful if restored, and remained as a testament to our city's past.

Terrible.

It will be interesting to see who the new owner is.

This photo came with the article...

228067_3.JPG

this is a wake up call. the city needs to start an inspection blitz on the vacant ones

this was basically the last vacant building in the core other than the St Jamestown unbuilt blocks and a few houses here and there

Wow – I am very sad to hear about this and extremely disappointed that these truly historic buildings had to face such a tragic and unfortunate end. I would love to stop by and collect a brick for safekeeping – those bricks have seen a lot over the course of their lives! Local history in this city is often but a mere afterthought in many circumstances as developers try to make a quick buck and residents turn a blind eye as their once beautiful Georgian and Victorian city disappears all around them. Every time I bike past that empty lot on the east side of Sherborne just south of Gerrard where a pair of exquisite brick Victorian homes once stood I never understand how an empty gravel lot is a suitable replacement. This city and its people deserve much better than that! There is plenty of space for condos in this city without having to destroy more and more of our local history.

I passed by the site on my bike this evening to see the pile of rubble. I found myself a nice old brick to take home with me... it will make a wonderful bookend. So sad!

Gerrard where a pair of exquisite brick Victorian homes once stood I never understand how an empty gravel lot is a suitable replacement.

as I remember it , they we're severely damaged by fire and the uninsured owner never recovered from it

I find this news very disappointing and upsetting. I drove past this building every day to and from work, and was very hopeful that new ownership would save this structure. So sad to turn on the news and find out that the building effectively collapsed.

What makes me mad, however, is the fact that our public authorities are primarily at fault. Yes, the previous owner sought to demolish the building by neglect, and he is partly to blame. But he is not the party most at fault. First, the RCMP owned this building for years, and let it rot. This is not the first time a federal agency has effectively let an important heritage building collapse (what the NCC did to the Daly Building in Ottawa was equally stupid), and the Feds deserve to be suitably chastised for this mess.

But the really guilty party here is the City of Toronto. Yes, the amended Ontario Heritage Act does include new provisions that allow the City to pass a by-law requiring an owner to maintain the heritage attributes of a structure of a building, but the City has always had the power to force an owner to maintain the structural integrity of a building. The combination of the City's property standards by-law and of the Building Code Act, 1992 would have allowed the City to inspect the building without a warrant, and issue an order requiring the owner to undertake specific works to maintain the integrity of the building. Had the owner not complied with the order, the City would have been able to enter onto the land, undertake the necessary repairs, and place a lien on the property to recover the money spent.

It's all well and good for Kyle Rae to bemoan the loss of the building in today's paper, and to talk about new powers under the OHA, but the reality is that the City has always had the power to do something, and the final deterioration and collapse of this building happened under Rae's watch.

Together, the Feds and the City practically conspired to demolish this building. In particular, had the City acted much sooner, it may very well have ensured that repairs were done at a time when the building was still salvageable.

Interesting letter in the Star:

A missed opportunity

May 22, 2007 04:30 AM

Re: Building in ruins, neighbours in shock May 21.

I read the story of the demolition of the 1858 Georgian-style Walnut Hall that stood at Shuter and George Sts. with regrets.

In the early 1980s, the RCMP had two options for Walnut Hall when they owned it. They were looking at enlarging their office at 225 Jarvis St., and suggested either removing the building to construct a new tower or build the facade into the new building. The hue and cry was huge.

At that time, the building had had at least two fires and it was a constant struggle to keep street people from breaking in. Even at that point, the building was so weak that it had to be bolted together to keep it from collapsing, as it did on the weekend. By not allowing the RCMP their building permit, the city lost the RCMP's Ontario Division headquarters to London, Ont.

There is no doubt in my mind that the "O" Division headquarters should be in Toronto – and it still would be here and the facade of Walnut Hall preserved had so-called heritage interests given their okay.

Rick Morris, Toronto

a flemish bond. that's supposed to be one of the strongest masonry patterns after the english bond.

was it a 2 brick thickness wall?

Just walked by. All there's left is a pile of rubble. The empty building that was next to it on George St is still standing.

Back