News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 660     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

VIA Rail

VIA 2 out of Vancouver is due in Valemount BC in about 30 mins according to the status tracker which is not that unusual sounding until you check the position tracker, quite a distance (>500km) south travelling at 0 km/h between Hope and Chiliwack.

So either it is going to teleport or the post on groups.io that a locomotive on #2 had its fuel tank torn open by a metal object at Ruby Creek has something to it. Nothing on VIA or TSB Twitter/websites, yet.

1709389849738.png

• Wow
Reactions: PL1
VIA 2 out of Vancouver is due in Valemount BC in about 30 mins according to the status tracker which is not that unusual sounding until you check the position tracker, quite a distance (>500km) south travelling at 0 km/h between Hope and Chiliwack.

So either it is going to teleport or the post on groups.io that a locomotive on #2 had its fuel tank torn open by a metal object at Ruby Creek has something to it. Nothing on VIA or TSB Twitter/websites, yet.

View attachment 544912
IMG_4752.jpeg

Never had bags weighed for any train outside Canada. Just saying ....

It's really my only complaint with VIA's current policies.
I had bags weighed (20 kg limit) in Australia in January. Staff were very friendly about it and actively work with riders to reduce the weight if required. They will sell you a big shopping bag so you can grow your carry on. Train limits are about the maximum of each bag, not really the overall weight. What's missing at VIA is the friendly part.

Further to the news about Canadian - according to Reservia the next westbound Canadian has been annulled in part - the train starts from Winnipeg on the 7th.

Further to the news about Canadian - according to Reservia the next westbound Canadian has been annulled in part - the train starts from Winnipeg on the 7th.
I heard about this,and thought about how this would not be such an issue if the train was a daily, or ran more than twice a week. Thinking of the Corridor, if one each way along the entire Corridor was cancelled, it would be impactful, but most likely would not result in a major disruption in people's plans. Which is why I will always push for daily as a minimum service on all existing Via routes. I know they do not have the rolling stock to do so, and as such need to wait till a replacement fleet is done for the LDS.

The BNN piece is weird, like it is a press release or maybe written by AI (no byline)
A uses what looks to be an unrelated file photo.

Frankly I havnt heard of any passengers on go getting struck by a go train at union or any other platform
IMG_4750.jpeg
IMG_4751.jpeg

Frankly, no European country would allow a station with the passenger volume, crowding/circulation issues and physical restrictions of Union Station to remain in operation. Because it simply isn’t safe…

Last edited:
Even at the risk of sounding like someone who can’t admit to have been proven wrong, I’m honestly not convinced that this is worse (or even: just as bad): as you can see, people keep a safe distance to the platform edge, as the platform is much higher and much, much wider than at Union Station. The hidden danger at Union Station is that there is no intuitive separation between space reserved for train movement and space reserved for passenger circulation. If people on the newspaper’s picture at Union held the same distance to the track than at your picture, they would have to stand (and shuffle around) with their backs to the wall…

Last edited:
View attachment 545185View attachment 545186

Frankly, no European country would allow a station with the passenger volume, crowding/circulation issues and physical restrictions of Union Station to remain in operation. Because it simply isn’t safe…
Yea but how would this be any different from a low vs high platform as per my original argument? Honesty our trains have the cowbells and the diesel engines. If that person can't be aware of his surroundings even with those devices it's darwinism at work, and not a fundamental issue.

And BTW that was TEN years ago.... you're almost grasping at straws to find any proof of impropriety from a decade ago.

And BTW that was TEN years ago.... you're almost grasping at straws to find any proof of impropriety from a decade ago.
As the German saying goes: “You can carry a horse to the waterhole, but it still has to drink by itself”. I have patiently explained to you why things are the way they are and why it is not possible for VIA to change them under the current circumstances. If you dismiss every single reason because you think you know everything better than those who actually work in the industry and will be held accountable when something goes horribly wrong, then this is your problem (not mine!) and the very reason why so many things you observe fail to make sense to you…

Last edited:
As the German saying goes: “You can carry a horse to the waterhole, but it still has to drink by itself”. I have patiently explained to you why things are the way they are and why it is not possible for VIA to change them under the current circumstances. If you dismiss every single reason because you think you know everything better than those who actually work in the industry and will be held accountable when something bad happens, then this is your problem, and not mine, and the very reason why nothing what you observe makes sense to you…
And I have tried to patiently tried to explain why a shift in mindset would open ones eyes to a much more modern and relevant way of thinking. Obviously it's not your eyes that need to be opened but the notion that north American rail standards is the bastion of progress and safety is a tunnel vision of delusion.

We will agree to disagree on this but the fact still remains that we have an embarrassment of infrastructure rolling stock for a national rail carrier, and regulations that result

And I have tried to patiently tried to explain why a shift in mindset would open ones eyes to a much more modern and relevant way of thinking.
No change in perspective will ever alter the reality and the countless constraints which define it. Everything you see is at least as obvious to the experts. The difference between them and yourself is that they also see the constraints which make your solutions impractable, impossible or simply illegal, regardless of how intuitive and plausible they appear to someone who only sees 10% of the picture and still genuinely believes that that is everything there is to observe…

Last edited:
Yea but how would this be any different from a low vs high platform as per my original argument? Honesty our trains have the cowbells and the diesel engines. If that person can't be aware of his surroundings even with those devices it's darwinism at work, and not a fundamental issue.

My memory was that the victim of that accident had a hearing disability, or maybe had earpods in affecting there hearing. And also recall a poster here who DID have hearing issues raising the issue of safety at union for differently abled people. Not amount of clanging bells or flashing lights will help if the rider can't see/hear, or is otherwise oblivious, to those signals.I

Strangely these problems didn't seem all that significant in the short amount of time I've spent on European trains. Yes part of that is the service offered by the railway, but I also think that there is a different rail culture in Europe vs North America (and the corridor specifically). People seeking have no idea what to expect, and how to behave, on trains and in train stations

Back