News   Jul 02, 2024
 585     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 685     0 

VIA Rail

His persistent habit of writing the biggest nonsense as definitive statements is what got him eventually banned on Skyscraper Page (after ignoring countless warnings) under the applause of exasperated commentors. Just an example, but it really takes an extraordinary level of cluelessness to claim that hospitals and schools operate “under one big union contract throughout the country”. And just like with you, he always tried to blame those who called him out rather than just owning up to his mistakes.

There are unfortunately good reasons why I would strongly advise against engaging him, especially in this thread…
Fair point. I had started to respond to defend what I said, but felt I would run the risk of being called out for public bickering, so I will quietly sit back basking in the warm glow of knowing that I am right.

And delivers a far worse product. As a Windsor only service the existing station is fine, but getting every train to Detroit is one of the most clearly worthwhile improvements west of Toronto (short of full public ownership what could even compete? the only thing in my mind would be bypassing capacity constraints around Bayview Junction - and it's not hard to argue that there are multiple viable options there) . I really don't see a whole lot of reason to be messing with the terminus unless its to get VIA across the river.
I agree that is a worthwhile goal but it is clear they are doing this on the cheap which is probably fine for proving a market. VIA isn't going to pay for a major station lease at Detroit Michigan Central... Canadian tax dollars paying for a major facility outside of Canada is a bit of a non-starter. Amtrak only has three trains per day to Chicago and one is early morning and one is at night which means no connection to VIA. VIA actually runs more trains to the area than Amtrak. In negotiations that means that VIA/Canada would probably need to pay 4/7ths of the lease in Detroit plus the whole cost of the customs facility. The greatest benefactor to this service... Detroit. The whole situation needs to change in the US in order for Detroit as the terminus to make sense. If there are many more Chicago to Detroit trains, that might move the needle. High-speed investments, definitely moves the needle in favour of a terminus at Detroit. Connecting Toronto and Chicago once per day... doesn't really seem like something the Canadian taxpayer should fund the building of a Detroit railway station for.

Last edited:
I agree that is a worthwhile goal but it is clear they are doing this on the cheap which is probably fine for proving a market. VIA isn't going to pay for a major station lease at Detroit Michigan Central... Canadian tax dollars paying for a major facility outside of Canada is a bit of a non-starter. Amtrak only has three trains per day to Chicago and one is early morning and one is at night which means no connection to VIA. VIA actually runs more trains to the area than Amtrak. In negotiations that means that VIA/Canada would probably need to pay 4/7ths of the lease in Detroit plus the whole cost of the customs facility. The greatest benefactor to this service... Detroit. The whole situation needs to change in the US in order for Detroit as the terminus to make sense. If there are many more Chicago to Detroit trains, that might move the needle. High-speed investments, definitely moves the needle in favour of a terminus at Detroit. Connecting Toronto and Chicago once per day... doesn't really seem like something the Canadian taxpayer should fund the building of a Detroit railway station for.

On Groups IO, this Amtrak report on cross-border trains, was posted. One quote from it that caught my attention was, “A December 2021 agreement between Amtrak and CP allows Amtrak to operate service through the Detroit River Tunnel to connect with VIA.” IIRC, this agreement was part of the deal for Amtrak’s support for the CP/KCS merger. The key is that this is an agreement with Amtrak, not VIA, and getting permission for VIA trains to use the tunnel may take additional negotiations with KPKC.

I don't know if it's just my impression but it seems like Amtrak cares more about new/improved cross-border services than VIA does.

I don't know if it's just my impression but it seems like Amtrak cares more about new/improved cross-border services than VIA does.
I suspect it’s less about VIA not caring and more about them not having enough money to do more than they currently do with their shoestring budget. With Amtrak Joe as president, Amtrak feels empowered to propose upgrades and improvements.

I don’t know why Amtrak cares when they could spend their entire budget on purely domestic service and not satisfy it, and when it has no formal cost-share (even on a proportional rather than equal basis) as State-sponsored services are obliged to meet, and there is no commitment to rail infrastructure upgrades on the Canadian side to reduce crew-hours or vehicle-hours on that side of the border

I suspect it’s less about VIA not caring and more about them not having enough money to do more than they currently do with their shoestring budget. With Amtrak Joe as president, Amtrak feels empowered to propose upgrades and improvements.
It is most likely due to the fact that Via is stuck with a small budget to do very simple things. Amtrak doesn't seem to be as neglected as Via is by their respectable governments. Everyone talks of Europe's rail system, but, even Amtrak is better than Canada's.

Just out of interest: what cross-border connections are there actually left for VIA to create or improve? Adirondack and Cascades have no potential for internal Canadian travel and are therefore best left with Amtrak, the Maple Leaf is constrained by the Seway bridge at Saint-Catherines, which pretty much only leaves Toronto-Windsor-Detroit(-Chicago), where the current $44 million proposal is by far the cheapest way to achieve a cross-border connection…

Just out of interest: what cross-border connections are there actually left for VIA to create or improve? Adirondack and Cascades have no potential for internal Canadian travel and are therefore best left with Amtrak, the Maple Leaf is constrained by the Seway bridge at Saint-Catherines, which pretty much only leaves Toronto-Windsor-Detroit(-Chicago), where the current $44 million proposal is by far the cheapest way to achieve a cross-border connection…
The only 2 that might be even remotely worth bringing back is the Gull (Halifax - Boston) and the Winnipegger(Winnipeg - St Paul) And of those, only the Gull would have a reasonable use within Canada.. Other than those, there is nothing.

I'm sure Amtrak is looking at the short distance associated with this border crossing and the easier "everyone disembarks" customs and border control as a win because they will likely carry more revenue paying customers without much new operating expense. The Maple Leaf border crossing experience is painful. I would also hazard a guess that Canadians are more receptive to train travel in general so Amtrak is tapping into a revenue stream. Detroit is a much bigger city than Windsor, Chicago is a slightly bigger city than Toronto, but more passengers are arriving at Windsor than Detroit.

On the Maple Leaf, hours are wasted trying to clear a train to cross the border vs telling everyone to get off the train. With customs at the terminus both trains can be disembarking at the same time, both sets of passengers can be going through their respective customs, and both trains can be boarding at the same time. Anything on the train that someone didn't take through customs with them stays on the train and ends up going back where it came from.

Last edited:
The only 2 that might be even remotely worth bringing back is the Gull (Halifax - Boston) and the Winnipegger(Winnipeg - St Paul) And of those, only the Gull would have a reasonable use within Canada.. Other than those, there is nothing.

The majority of The Gull’s historical route of Boston to Halifax is south of the border (so I don’t see how it would make sense for it to be operated by VIA Rail. If it were to ever return (which I highly doubt) it would likely be as an extension of The Downeaster north to St. John, as it is the only significant destination that is close enough to the border (on either side) to be a a viable terminus with customs facilities. Of course that would only really work if there were connecting service(s) to other cities (either via bus or train) in the region.

The majority of The Gull’s historical route of Boston to Halifax is south of the border (so I don’t see how it would make sense for it to be operated by VIA Rail. If it were to ever return (which I highly doubt) it would likely be as an extension of The Downeaster north to St. John, as it is the only significant destination that is close enough to the border (on either side) to be a a viable terminus with customs facilities. Of course that would only really work if there were connecting service(s) to other cities (either via bus or train) in the region.
Like all other cross border trains in Canada, I'd expect it would run by Amtrak Since they have no plans to do anything on that corridor, it isn't worth musing much over it.

Don’t forget the possible extension of Vermonter from St Albans VT to Montreal if customs ever opens at the latter

Back