News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 958     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

VIA Rail

The feasibility of VIA buying new dome cars depends, in part, if Amtrak is also interested in buying some. Given difficulties in making them accessible (even for those traveling through the car), I suspect that, as much as I would like them, they won't be feasible though.
Wheel chair stair lift on one side of the car? But for a train that's in motion might be difficult.

I made a track map of the Kingston Subdivision from Toronto to Brockville (where the VIA Brockville Subdivision splits off towards Ottawa), using satellite imagery.

CNKingstonGO.PNG

CNKingston.PNG

PDF here as a roll plan:

I discovered that the benefit provided by the triple-tracked segments is limited by the layout of the junctions at either end. For example, at Moira, in order for an eastbound train to switch from the south track to the middle track, it conflicts with westbound trains on the north track.
CNKingston-MoiraCurrent.PNG

This conflict could easily be avoided by providing an second, crossover, creating a parallel route through the junction:
CNKingston-MoiraProposed.PNG

My proposed changes (new switches in red), removed switches in light grey:
CNKingston-Proposed.PNG

That additional crossover is already present at Guildwood interlocking, but is missing from the rest of the places where the line switches from double track to triple track.

Last edited:
I made a track map of the Kingston Subdivision from Toronto to Brockville (where the VIA Brockville Subdivision splits off towards Ottawa), using satellite imagery.

View attachment 475086
View attachment 475087
PDF here as a roll plan:

I discovered that the benefit provided by the triple-tracked segments is limited by the layout of the junctions at either end. For example, at Moira, in order for an eastbound train to switch from the south track to the middle track, it conflicts with westbound trains on the north track.
View attachment 475088
This conflict could easily be avoided by providing an second, crossover, creating a parallel route through the junction:
View attachment 475089
My proposed changes (new switches in red), removed switches in light grey:
View attachment 475090
That additional crossover is already present at Guildwood interlocking, but is missing from the rest of the places where the line switches from double track to triple track.
But you would need to get the timing right to meet at those specific places. What if the meet happens somewhere else? Then a train needs to wait in the siding anyway.

You can't count on CN dispatching now, how can you count on it when the passing track at the station is built? Remember what happened last time?

But you would need to get the timing right to meet at those specific places. What if the meet happens somewhere else? Then a train needs to wait in the siding anyway.

You can't count on CN dispatching now, how can you count on it when the passing track at the station is built? Remember what happened last time?
You've got it backwards. The poor punctuality is precisely why we need to reduce this type of unnecessary conflict. If trains all ran on time we could just schedule meets in the middle of the triple track segments and it wouldn't be an issue.

The situation depicted in my diagram is not hypothetical. It is exactly what happened on my last trip to Ottawa. The yellow eastbound train is VIA 48 (Toronto - Ottawa local), the westbound is VIA 69 (Montréal - Toronto express) and the red train is a CN freight that rail traffic control was allowing Via 48 to overtake.
If the trains had been on time, they would have met at the platform at Belleville, and this infrastructure deficiency wouldn't have been an issue. But my train (48) was running late, which meant that train 69 had to sit in Belleville station for several minutes waiting for us to arrive, even though it is not scheduled to stop there.

I have ridden back and forth between Ottawa and Toronto a lot in the past couple months and in my experience, CN rail traffic control is far more friendly to VIA than Metrolinx RTC. If this had been in Mx territory and the CN train had instead been a GO train, they probably would have just left us stuck behind it all the way to Brockville, even if the centre track was vacant.

The latter is also not hypothetical. That's the reason train 48 was so late in the first place. We were stuck behind a GO train the whole way from Union to Pickering because they couldn't be arsed to change our track assignment onto the totally vacant express track. So our 3 minute late departure from Union turned into a 15+ minute delay by the end of Metrolinx territory.

Last edited:
You've got it backwards. The poor punctuality is precisely why we need to reduce this type of unnecessary conflict. If trains all ran on time we could just schedule meets in the middle of the triple track segments and it wouldn't be an issue.

The situation depicted in my diagram is not hypothetical. It is exactly what happened on my last trip to Ottawa. The yellow eastbound train is VIA 48 (Toronto - Ottawa local), the westbound is VIA 69 (Montréal - Toronto express) and the red train is a CN freight that rail traffic control was allowing Via 48 to overtake.
If the trains had been on time, they would have met at the platform at Belleville, and this infrastructure deficiency wouldn't have been an issue. But my train (48) was running late, which meant that train 69 had to sit in Belleville station for several minutes waiting for us to arrive, even though it is not scheduled to stop there.

I have ridden back and forth between Ottawa and Toronto a lot in the past couple months and in my experience, CN rail traffic control is far more friendly to VIA than Metrolinx RTC. If this had been in Mx territory and the CN train had instead been a GO train, they probably would have just left us stuck behind it all the way to Brockville, even if the centre track was vacant.

The latter is also not hypothetical. That's the reason train 48 was so late in the first place. We were stuck behind a GO train the whole way from Union to Pickering because they couldn't be arsed to change our track assignment onto the totally vacant express track. So our 3 minute late departure from Union turned into a 15+ minute delay by the end of Metrolinx territory.
Another thing would be higher operating speeds for GO trains on the Kingston and Oakville Sub, that would help things move along faster in MX territory.

Another thing would be higher operating speeds for GO trains on the Kingston and Oakville Sub, that would help things move along faster in MX territory.
Not necessarily. The advantage of a large speed differential is that it makes it easier for Via trains to overtake GO trains within a given distance, such as the triple track segment between Danforth and Guildwood. If GO ran really fast it might not be possible for Via to get in front before the end of the passing track.

90-100mph for LRC. But GO speeds are about 75-80.
The track speed on both subdivisions is 95 mph (153 km/h) for both GO and VIA. VIA's Budd and LRC coaches both fall into the same "P+" category as GO trains, not the LRC category. The only train which currently meets the LRC spec is a P42 with Renaissance coaches. Thankfully the new Siemens trains also qualify for LRC speeds, which should help speed things up somewhat once they start running on services to Toronto.

Last edited:
The track speed on both subdivisions is 95 mph (153 km/h) for both GO and VIA. VIA's Budd and LRC coaches both fall into the same "P+" category as GO trains, not the LRC category. The only train which currently meets the LRC spec is a P42 with Renaissance coaches. Thankfully the new Siemens trains also qualify for LRC speeds, which should help speed things up somewhat once they start running on services to Toronto.
When does a GO train hit 95mph?

Does anybody know how many new Siemens trainsets have arrived? As of April it was just 4 and only one in service (Ottawa <-> Montreal), is that still the case? With this pace it will take years for all 32 trains to see in service...
Was hoping to ride a new one this summer from Toronto, but it doesn't look feasible.

Was trying to find an app/service like flightradar24, but for trains, can't see anything. Is there a way to check what kind of train is that by train number?

Thank you all, this forum is awesome.

Couple interesting notes about their platform about Corridor services...........they say HSR and not HFR and they state the service would be a Windsor to Quebec City route, hence including SWO.

Back