News   Apr 18, 2024
 654     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

VIA Rail

It certainly wasn't made because of community consultation, as they'd be really laying it on thick to demonstrate how much they care about the Don Valley.

I'd expect it's either HFR, or they found out that there's actual rules that are tougher to wave away with a wand about building fueling facilities and storage takes in a flood plain. Or perhaps the other option is simply cheaper.

I hadn't realised they'd resolved all their technical problems already, and gone into full production. Is there a delivery schedule laid out?
There hadn't been many technical issues that I'm aware of. Primarily testing and debugging more than anything.

Trainset 2 arrived quite some time ago. Trainset 3 arrived a month ago. Trainset 4 is reportedly almost ready to leave the factory.

Dan

There is also so much potential to build around Oshawa, Fallowfield and Guildwood.

There isn't as much potential around Fallowfield as it might seem. The land to the north-west is part of the National Experimental Farm, and for scientific reasons they can't move it (they have many decades of records farming that land which would be lost if they moved somewhere else). To the east, it is greenbelt and unless the National Capital Comission (NCC) approves its development (unlikely), it will remain farmland. The land to the south could/should be rebuilt, but that means crossing a sprawling parking lot and a 4 lane, 80 km/h highway.

Given that you can't take the train to Ottawa from Fallowfield, the VIA station is only used for those traveling to other cities. There is the Transitway station, but BRT doesn't seem to stimulate TOD the same way as rail transit does, so not much will likely happen until the O-Train is extended to Fallowfield, and while there is a proposal to do so, nothing has been approved, so it will most likely be at least a decade out.

Fallowfiled Stn Map.png
Imagery ©2023 CNES / Airbus, Maxar Technologies, Map data ©2023

Trainset 2 has been in service quite a few times already.

Dan

AFAIK (and please correct me if I am wrong), but Trainset 2 is the only one that has been in revenue service. From what I gather, the plan always was to have Trainset 1 initially built for testing and it would need to be upgraded prior to revenue service.

There hadn't been many technical issues that I'm aware of. Primarily testing and debugging more than anything.

Trainset 2 arrived quite some time ago. Trainset 3 arrived a month ago. Trainset 4 is reportedly almost ready to leave the factory.

Dan

I presume VIA will need to do some validation to each trainset before they can be put into service, so there will be some lag between delivery and insertion into revenue service.

AFAIK (and please correct me if I am wrong), but Trainset 2 is the only one that has been in revenue service. From what I gather, the plan always was to have Trainset 1 initially built for testing and it would need to be upgraded prior to revenue service.
There have been photos of Trainset 1 handling the Tuesday flips to/from Ottawa, so it has certainly been used.

Although in fairness, I think that Trainset 2 is the one that largely has been used of late.

Dan

There have been photos of Trainset 1 handling the Tuesday flips to/from Ottawa, so it has certainly been used.

Although in fairness, I think that Trainset 2 is the one that largely has been used of late.

Dan

Thanks for the clarification. I only remember seeing pictures of Trainset 2.

Not related to VIA directly, but there is a connection. The RDC’s mentioned were sold by VIA to Dallas’ Trinity Railway Express in 1993. VIA tried to buy them back in 2017, when they were put back up for sale, but AllEarth Rai in Vermont outbid VIA.

My dad is taking VIA Toronto-Ottawa. He is hoping to try out the new Siemens train, and I am wondering if anyone knows how to determine which corridor services are on the new trainset.
Train 52 departing, train 59 returning.

My dad is taking VIA Toronto-Ottawa. He is hoping to try out the new Siemens train, and I am wondering if anyone knows how to determine which corridor services are on the new trainset.
Train 52 departing, train 59 returning.
All revenue service deployments I’ve heard of so far were the MTRL-OTTW portions of 33 & 26 on Tuesdays and/or 39 on Tuesdays & 22 on Wednesdays:

If the current government is not in power until shovels are in the ground the project is dead and all of this effort will be lost.
That is the crux of a govt run operation. It's at the whim of the political winds.
That's why private railways are always much more stable regardless of the downsides

Back