News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 829     0 

VIA Rail

COVID-related scheduling issues aside, are there still plans to introduce an additional roundtrip between Stratford and Toronto at some point in the future? Additionally, is anyone aware of any corridor/track improvements that have taken place between London and Kitchener ever since CN reassumed operations from GEXR on the north mainline?
My contact in St. Marys says their service is threatened.

COVID-related scheduling issues aside, are there still plans to introduce an additional roundtrip between Stratford and Toronto at some point in the future? Additionally, is anyone aware of any corridor/track improvements that have taken place between London and Kitchener ever since CN reassumed operations from GEXR on the north mainline?

If there is any improvements they will be minimal at best I assume. This line is a branch and not very busy.

I think we will ever only see decent improvements on it if VIA buys it for some kind of "HFR West" proposal.

Station cost I suppose, idk

Unless there is a specific expense that is unique to St. Marys' station, I find that hard to beleive. In 2018, the station had 6,623 passengers board and deboard, which made it VIA's 45th busiest station (out of over 300). If VIA was wanting to cut costs by closing stations, there would be many more much higher on the list.

EDIT: It could be possible that they plan to close the station building, but they can stop at a station without a station building, so it doesn't mean "their service is threatened."

I think we will ever only see decent improvements on it if VIA buys it for some kind of "HFR West" proposal.

What criteria does VIA use to decide when to buy an underused line (or a line that may be abandoned). Obviously VIA had no interest in doing this on Vancouver Island or Gaspé (where they were running money-losing services on track owned by other railways that needed substantial investment), but I assume at some point VIA bought track through Ottawa and to Windsor Station. If CN was to abandon the connection through St. Marys, would it have fate similar to passenger service on Vancouver Island, or would VIA be more interested in stepping in a buying it?

The ideal/plan for an additional roundtrip to and from Stratford is likely dead, as is the plan for the use of additional RDCs.
I wish I could be any more specific, but the plans to improve service in Southwestern Ontario are far from dead and I am confident that most (if not: all) stations will see improved service (whether through GO or VIA) within the next decade.

What criteria does VIA use to decide when to buy an underused line (or a line that may be abandoned). Obviously VIA had no interest in doing this on Vancouver Island or Gaspé (where they were running money-losing services on track owned by other railways that needed substantial investment), but I assume at some point VIA bought track through Ottawa and to Windsor Station. If CN was to abandon the connection through St. Marys, would it have fate similar to passenger service on Vancouver Island, or would VIA be more interested in stepping in a buying it?
First, you can only buy what is for sale.
Second, capital funding decisions (like the acquisition of assets) are made in Ottawa, not Montreal.

PS: I suspect think I’m the only one here to whom Windsor’s VIA station in Walkerville is not the first thing which comes into his mind when someone writes “Windsor Station”:

Last edited:
Second, capital funding decisions (like the acquisition of assets) are made in Ottawa, not Montreal.

Thanks, that's what I was curious about. So what that means is if there is track that has deteriorated to the point where it's difficult for VIA to run economical service, it in effectively becomes a political decision (i.e. Ottawa as to express a willingness to approach the line owner about a sale / provide capital for to purchase the line). Presumably a key passenger rail link like the one through St. Marys would generate enough political pressure for VIA or Metrolinx to buy it, if it actually came to that. Nice to hear that you think it's likely it will see improved service in the future.

Windsor’s VIA station in Walkerville
Is there a name that VIA's station in Windsor is commonly referred to avoid confusion? That does seem confusing (and would have especially been when the Windsor station in Montreal was open)

Thanks, that's what I was curious about. So what that means is if there is track that has deteriorated to the point where it's difficult for VIA to run economical service, it in effectively becomes a political decision (i.e. Ottawa as to express a willingness to approach the line owner about a sale / provide capital for to purchase the line). Presumably a key passenger rail link like the one through St. Marys would generate enough political pressure for VIA or Metrolinx to buy it, if it actually came to that. Nice to hear that you think it's likely it will see improved service in the future.

It doesn't really go that way. It is more that the railway puts that they plan to abandon the track in their 3 year plan. VIA then says to the government, if this track is abandoned, we can no longer provide service to xyz. The government then either gives VIA the money to buy the ROW (typically at a bargain basement price since the railway doesn't want it) or lets them abandon the service.

Is there a name that VIA's station in Windsor is commonly referred to avoid confusion? That does seem confusing (and would have especially been when the Windsor station in Montreal was open)

It is called Windsor Train Station on VIA's website. :rolleyes:

The corridor is the only part of the entire VIA network that actually recoups a significant percentage of operating costs through fares.

The justification is that Kitchener and London are large enough cities to justify frequent dedicated rail service, and HSR in the future.

It doesn't really go that way. It is more that the railway puts that they plan to abandon the track in their 3 year plan. VIA then says to the government, if this track is abandoned, we can no longer provide service to xyz. The government then either gives VIA the money to buy the ROW (typically at a bargain basement price since the railway doesn't want it) or lets them abandon the service.
And in the case of the Stratford line, it is unlikely that CN will serve notice to abandon any time soon. They have been investing in the line.

The problem is that the level of investment is only sufficient to continue safe, but slow, freight service. So it falls on VIA to propose, in their Business Plan, that they fund further investment to bring the line to a higher standard. Or for VIA and ML to discuss jointly and seek funding from their respective principals to run a joint service.

One hears that the joint service thing is far from dead, but not necessarily on the front burner either.

- Paul

And in the case of the Stratford line, it is unlikely that CN will serve notice to abandon any time soon. They have been investing in the line.

The problem is that the level of investment is only sufficient to continue safe, but slow, freight service. So it falls on VIA to propose, in their Business Plan, that they fund further investment to bring the line to a higher standard. Or for VIA and ML to discuss jointly and seek funding from their respective principals to run a joint service.

One hears that the joint service thing is far from dead, but not necessarily on the front burner either.

- Paul

Im really miffed that VIA didnt buy the line when GEXR put it up for sale a couple years ago.

Im really miffed that VIA didnt buy the line when GEXR put it up for sale a couple years ago.
At that point, the plan was for Ontario to run along that corridor - presumably displacing VIA.

But why didn't Ontario buy it west of Kitchener when they bought the other piece?

Back